Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Can't Find Setting to Mute Bump and File Launch
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:16 am 

I haven't had the opportunity to visit much lately due to the decline in my mother's health.

A few weeks ago out of nowhere, I started hearing a sound when I bump the side and when I launch a file after I bump a hotspot. Until then, no sound played.

I don't remember changing a setting. I've tried everything I can think of to change it back to no sound how it was before, but to no avail. All of the settings I've checked are the same as my other old PC.

Post subject: Re: Can't Find Setting to Mute Bump and File Launch
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:00 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Windy wrote:
I haven't had the opportunity to visit much lately due to the decline in my mother's health.

A few weeks ago out of nowhere, I started hearing a sound when I bump the side and when I launch a file after I bump a hotspot. Until then, no sound played.

I don't remember changing a setting. I've tried everything I can think of to change it back to no sound how it was before, but to no avail. All of the settings I've checked are the same as my other old PC.

Sorry to hear about your mother's health declining, hope she'll get better again.

Re: the sound, that seems to be a queer one. I usually have sounds enabled in Xtreme, with my own preferred sound scheme, when I'm in Windblows. But I've never come across what you describe, except, yes, you can define a sound for launching a file. But there is no setting to apply a sound to a specific hotspot activation method. Mind you, queer things happen under Windows....

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:45 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Windy wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that, Windy. I wish for peace for her and strength to you.

Windy wrote:

CTRL-F11 to bring up WorkShelf preferences. Switch to the Sounds tab. You'll find "Hide/Collapse" and "Show/Expand" on the list there. "Launch Item" is also on that list.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:32 am 

nexter wrote:
Sorry to hear about your mother's health declining, hope she'll get better again.

DesertDwarf wrote:
Windy. I wish for peace for her and strength to you.

Thanks for your concern guys!

DesertDwarf wrote:
CTRL-F11 to bring up WorkShelf preferences. Switch to the Sounds tab. You'll find "Hide/Collapse" and "Show/Expand" on the list there. "Launch Item" is also on that list.

I pretty much was doing the same thing by going into WorkShelf. But thankfully, I found the culprit! I went into NextSTART under Sound & Animations and went through the list in Sound Scheme Events: and changed 'Execute Item' back to None.

I'm still not sure how it happened. I guess I must have been testing out something and changed the setting and didn't realize or remember that I did.

BTW, I do have several other sounds enabled such as bumping WorkShelf, both dropping and deleting a file in the Recycle bin.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:32 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Windy wrote:
DesertDwarf wrote:

I pretty much was doing the same thing by going into WorkShelf. But thankfully, I found the culprit! I went into NextSTART under Sound & Animations and went through the list in Sound Scheme Events: and changed 'Execute Item' back to None.

I'm still not sure how it happened. I guess I must have been testing out something and changed the setting and didn't realize or remember that I did.

BTW, I do have several other sounds enabled such as bumping WorkShelf, both dropping and deleting a file in the Recycle bin.

Come to think of it, you don't necessarily have to have changed anything - by mistake or whatever - Windows is a crazy environment and sometimes, I've noticed, settings in all sorts of apps can get changed, not just Winstep....

Take care Windy and hope you and your mother will continue to be safe. All strength to you both.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:10 pm 

Thanks. You could be right. I just had to perform a system restore because of an update for Bluetooth from Intel a few days ago. It screwed up my sound to where it became very low.

When the bump and file launch issue began was around the time I finally figured out the issue I was having (after at least a month of tinkering) to tweak my PC sound system.

I recently gave my previous speakers to the same person I sold my previous PC to because I thought something was wrong with one of the speakers and purchased new ones that have an optical output. It turned out that it wasn't the speakers, but something with Windows and Realtek. An update of some sort was probably the culprit. System restore didn't fix the problem.

I was eventually able to make Realtek work again with the new speakers. It was the only one that could "hear" certain sounds I test for with some movie files I have. For some reason, Realtek has issues with using optical with certain types of video and audio files (made a continual loud beeping sound until I close them) and I ended up installing FX Sound, but even though it didn't cut it, I left it installed, but disabled. Sometime after that, I found out that I had to go into Windows and change the audio settings for Realtek to work properly.

When a new update for FX sound prompted me, I decided to give it a try. I didn't have to change any Windows audio settings. It did it automatically. It installed something I guess that wasn't there before, because after the update, it played the files just as well as Realtek does, so I decided to keep using it.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]