Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Docks Stopped Accepting Desktop Icons
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:21 pm 

Please Help! Recently my docks have stopped accepting my desktop icons when I try to drop and drag them. When I hover over a dock with an icon I see a circle with a line through it and it will not drop onto a dock. For the existing docks, everything works fine except if I remove an icon, the dock will not reaccept that or another icon. P L E A S E HELP (I LOVE my Winstep Xtreme)!

Post subject: Re: Docks Stopped Accepting Desktop Icons
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:38 pm 

only thing that comes to mind is that you run dock with elevated privileges (as admin) which you should never do for security reasons

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:54 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

diana wrote:
Please Help! Recently my docks have stopped accepting my desktop icons when I try to drop and drag them. When I hover over a dock with an icon I see a circle with a line through it and it will not drop onto a dock. For the existing docks, everything works fine except if I remove an icon, the dock will not reaccept that or another icon. P L E A S E HELP (I LOVE my Winstep Xtreme)!

Check your settings in "Dock Properties" if you haven't done this already. You could also try dragging and dropping while pressing the <Alt> key.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:59 am 

it could also be that you have enabled lock icons
right click on an empty pace on dock (between icons)
or in dock properties

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:31 am 

All of you are wonderful for the help! But the changed elevated privileges, unlocking icons and pressing the ALT key while dragging did not work. I forgot to mention this -
when I drag an icon and hover over the dock a little text banner shows an arrow with the word "link". How do I 'un-link' all of my icons? I've tried using command prompt, reset the icon cache & sat so long researching on Google & YouTube I lost circulation in the derriere :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:21 am 

the tooltip and the arrow are as it should be

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:59 pm 

Hi Mr Seeker, Can you explain your illustration to me or tell me where I can find more information on this? That is exactly what my icons show (the LINK banner), but my docks don't seem to accept them. Can I disable the LINK status? Thank you for taking the time! MR SEEKER - YOU ARE THE G R E A T E S T !!! Immediately after I saw your post, you gave me just one word with your post that fixed my problem! You gave a name to the "LINK banner" - tooltip. I Googled that, saw a post for the Winaero App, saw instructions on how to disable "tooltips" in registry editor;
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced then
create a new 32-Bit DWORD value "ShowInfoTip". Set its value data to 0. And after restarting my PC MY DOCKS NOW ACCEPT ALL OF MY ICONS JUST LIKE BEFORE!!!!!!!!!!! I am now the happiest I've been after spending over 40 hours trying to resolve this myself! THANK YOU SO V E R Y MUCH! You are my hero! Please have a GREAT day!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]