Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Switch off menu transparency?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:19 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

OK, let's get one thing cleared up at least. Having checked the standard, default, themes that come with Winstep Xtreme, and their GFX files, it was quickly obvious that none of them use transparency in the menus. One or two use slight translucency, but that's as far as it goes.

So where the heck those transparent menus come from is a complete mystery and almost certainly suggests some sort of programme like Aero being involved.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:16 pm 

nexter wrote:
OK, let's get one thing cleared up at least. Having checked the standard, default, themes that come with Winstep Xtreme, and their GFX files, it was quickly obvious that none of them use transparency in the menus. One or two use slight translucency, but that's as far as it goes.

So where the heck those transparent menus come from is a complete mystery and almost certainly suggests some sort of programme like Aero being involved.

What is "Winstep Xtreme"? I am using the free Winstep Nexus Dock version 20.10. Maybe you are confusing something?

My OS is Windows 10 x64 which has no "Aero", and NONE of my other menus are transparent or translucent, only Nexus Dock has transparent menus.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:18 pm 

PeterPanino wrote:
nexter wrote:

What is "Winstep Xtreme"? I am using the free Winstep Nexus Dock version 20.10. Maybe you are confusing something?

My OS is Windows 10 x64 which has no "Aero", and NONE of my other menus are transparent or translucent, only Nexus Dock has transparent menus.

winstep Xtreme is one of the paid versions which comes with all theme packs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:19 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The only way that I know of that menus can be transparent is if they are set to be transparent in the NextStart component of Winstep Xtreme. Hence, it seems to me that either you are running the 30 day trial version of Xtreme or a cracked copy of same and not the free version of Nexus. If a cracked version, just this - a Four Russian Generals' Welcome to you - Generals Sodoff, Buggeroff. Pissoff and Phuckoff. If not, it still has to be Xtreme trial version else the menus could not be set to transparent. Transparency can be set in Nextstart Preferences only, Menus tab, 3rd item down on the left.

Otherwise, we're back to some 3rd party app causing the transparency, such as Aero Glass.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:48 pm 

nexter wrote:
The only way that I know of that menus can be transparent is if they are set to be transparent in the NextStart component of Winstep Xtreme. Hence, it seems to me that either you are running the 30 day trial version of Xtreme or a cracked copy of same and not the free version of Nexus. If a cracked version, just this - a Four Russian Generals' Welcome to you - Generals Sodoff, Buggeroff. Pissoff and Phuckoff. If not, it still has to be Xtreme trial version else the menus could not be set to transparent. Transparency can be set in Nextstart Preferences only, Menus tab, 3rd item down on the left.

Otherwise, we're back to some 3rd party app causing the transparency, such as Aero Glass.

What is "NextStart"? I am using the free version of the Nexus dock and NOT a "cracked" version!! I don't use any "cracked" software!! It seems that you are confusing me and the Nexus Dock version I am using. And I have repeatedly said that I am using Windows 10 x64, so Aero cannot be an option. And talking about "Russian Generals": Please keep the language of grown-ups. Thank you!

And here is a screenshot of my Nexus Dock settings dialog:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:41 am 

PeterPanino wrote:
DesertDwarf wrote:
Hi Peter,

What menu is that? If you're not sure what to call it, describe the steps you use to make that menu appear.

It is a FOLDER MENU: Drag a folder containing links to programs or documents from Windows File Explorer to the Nexus Dock to create a FOLDER ICON:

Then click on the FOLDER ICON to open the FOLDER MENU:

This screenshot of a FOLDER MENU shows also another annoyance: The FOLDER MENU also shows the invisible system files like desktop.ini, setup.ini, and tlbdata.xml.

The FOLDER MENU should of course HIDE those invisible files.

(BTW, tlbdata.xml is a configuration file of another dock product I have tried before. These invisible files are normally HIDDEN in Windows File Explorer. To create the screenshot, they have been made visible only inside a special program)

The 'Folder Menu' as you call it is not a feature of Nexus. I suspect from your hidden file description you are using (or have been using) True Launch Bar which may be the source of your problem.

I haven't used the product so don't know whether it can be configured to give the transparency 'issue' you are seeing, or whether it is just a conflict between two programs that both affect the windows UI.

If its the latter then only Jorge may be able to help you if you want to retain the 'Folder Menu' approach.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:31 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

techlobo wrote:
The 'Folder Menu' as you call it is not a feature of Nexus. I suspect from your hidden file description you are using (or have been using) True Launch Bar which may be the source of your problem.

I haven't used the product so don't know whether it can be configured to give the transparency 'issue' you are seeing, or whether it is just a conflict between two programs that both affect the windows UI.

If its the latter then only Jorge may be able to help you if you want to retain the 'Folder Menu' approach.

I appreciate that you meant well, but this is a long dead thread really, and you shouldn't really post to threads that are six months or more old. However, I'll let it stand this time. :)

:Edit: Moderator's note - I realised after posting the above that techlobo must have responded before I had split off the most recent post - which probably was made by a likely - at least, potential - spammer, so sorry for that techlobo.

Now, please let's let this thread die again as it's long past its sell-by date. ;) - nexter {/end Edit:

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2