Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Nexus Dock not hiding as expected
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:08 pm 

I recently installed Nexus Dock and love it quite a bit, as I've become accustomed to working with a dock on Linux.

The only feature I am trying to figure out is, "Hide or collapse automatically only when other windows have the focus". To me that means, when I have a window selected, the dock will minimize. Otherwise, it will reappear.

Really, all I want to happen is this:
> If a window is overlapping the dock, I would like the dock to hide.
> When a window stops overlapping the dock, I would like the dock to reappear.

The functionality I describe seems to apply to "Auto-hide for maximized applications when always on top", but I rarely maximize my windows as I am on an ultra wide monitor.

Any help or guidance is appreciated. Thank you so very much. :D

Post subject: Re: Nexus Dock not hiding as expected
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:28 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Rheuz wrote:
I recently installed Nexus Dock and love it quite a bit, as I've become accustomed to working with a dock on Linux.

The only feature I am trying to figure out is, "Hide or collapse automatically only when other windows have the focus". To me that means, when I have a window selected, the dock will minimize. Otherwise, it will reappear.

Really, all I want to happen is this:
> If a window is overlapping the dock, I would like the dock to hide.
> When a window stops overlapping the dock, I would like the dock to reappear.

The functionality I describe seems to apply to "Auto-hide for maximized applications when always on top", but I rarely maximize my windows as I am on an ultra wide monitor.

Any help or guidance is appreciated. Thank you so very much. :D

The only dock I use, and have ever used, under Linux is the one under Ubuntu, which is great - does exactly what a dock is meant to do and nothing else. (I am a 90% Linux user (and enthusiastic advocate), mainly Ubuntu and Fedora, for a few years now.) And it certainly doesn't hide in the way you desire, nor any other way, thank goodness.

As for Nexus, what you describe is, as far as I know, simply not possible. An app is never aware of another app's window position on the screen, and therefore whether it's overlapping or not, except if an app is maximised. Apps can, where desired, discover if another app has focus or not, but that's about as far as it goes.

All AFAIK.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:04 pm 

nexter, always a pleasure to meet another Linux user out here in the wild :D I've used Ubuntu for many years, but have recently flip flopped between Arch and Manjaro. I'll head back to Linux eventually whenever I can get another video card for VFIO purposes.

I did end up figuring out enough of a solution to my use case; under the Position tab, select Always below other windows, and then enable Bring dock forward when the mouse pointer bumps the screen edge. This is pretty much exactly what I needed, actually. I was so fixated on the auto-hide feature that I totally glossed over this area. :shock:

Anywho, thanks again for the quick reply. Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:03 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Rheuz wrote:
nexter, always a pleasure to meet another Linux user out here in the wild :D I've used Ubuntu for many years, but have recently flip flopped between Arch and Manjaro. I'll head back to Linux eventually whenever I can get another video card for VFIO purposes.

I did end up figuring out enough of a solution to my use case; under the Position tab, select Always below other windows, and then enable Bring dock forward when the mouse pointer bumps the screen edge. This is pretty much exactly what I needed, actually. I was so fixated on the auto-hide feature that I totally glossed over this area. :shock:

Anywho, thanks again for the quick reply. Cheers!

Glad you found a solution - now why didn't I think of that! (Probably because I never hide the dock myself and generally don't have windows overlapping it!) Great to see someone exploring the settings and experimenting for themselves. :)

Yep, good to see another Linux user here - there are a few lurking about and dropping in from time to time. :) My first trial of Linux goes back a long way, the good old, bad old days when Slackware was considered the go-to distro and I had my first - self-built and kick-ass hardware - x86 PC, running NeXT Openstep, Solaris, OS/2 Warp, and a tentative NT 3.51 (I still ran a few maxed out Amigas and NeXT machines but of course these were already on their way out). A real pig! Eventually managed to get a window manager - Gnu Windowmaker - up and running (having already had that running under OS/2 Warp and XFree86, mainly for Bash shell) but in the end decided it was far too unstable and useable apps too few still so off it came. Over the years kept an eye on what was happening in the Linux world and from time to time tried other distros, and a few years ago finally decided to make the switch, first trying just about every major and a few minor distro/s (inc. Manjaro) on a stick before installing Fedora, Mint, Debian, and Ubuntu on my various machines. I now run Ubuntu as my main OS (also always running in a VM when I'm in Windows 10 - which is not that often now and about to be moved to a VM itself soon), and Fedora and Debian as secondaries. I can see a time coming when I'll be able to ditch Windows altogether (except perhaps to continue beta testing Winstep while it continues, having been with the programme since the beginning - there's still loads to come!)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]