Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 32 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Has anyone tried Winstep Xtreme with Windows 11 preview
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:03 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

gibberingtechie wrote:
Sorry , took so long getting an answer back to you. I am running Winstep Xtreme. I haven't had any issues with Winstep Xtreme and Windows 11 , or with Winstep Xtreme and the new Displayfusion beta.

Thanks. That certainly should clarify things for everybody. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:37 pm 

I have full version of windows 11, so far it works fine. However, if i try to go to winstep.net it asks for a certificate and if i click on one, it says the website is forbidden. Weird. So just hit cancel and it lets you go

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:02 pm 

Sorry , realized that my response was no more informative than the first. I really shouldn't post late at night.

I am running Winstep build : 20.10
Windows 11 : 21H2 build 22000.258
Displayfusion : 10 beta 4

and they are all playing well with each other. The AMD graphics driver on the other hand just HAS to crash twice a day. Better than the last version though that was forcing a hard reboot 3 or 4 times a day gaming or not.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:08 pm 

Thank you for the update.

It is helpful to know.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:36 pm 

I am running Extreme with Windows 11, I have had some random crashes and some glitches like a border around my screen, if I shut off workshelf those glitches go away, for the most part it works

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:35 am 

WX4JCW wrote:
I am running Extreme with Windows 11, I have had some random crashes and some glitches like a border around my screen, if I shut off workshelf those glitches go away, for the most part it works

Hmm... Interesting.

I've only done some basic testing with the beta in a virtual machine - no plans on upgrading my main machine to Windows 11 yet, though no doubt it will have to come at some point!

Workshelf is a major component for me so I would appreciate any further updates from users with this configuration.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As far as I know Winstep applications are working fine under Windows 11 (which is mostly Windows 10 under-the-hood anyway). I'm confident enough to claim Windows 11 compatibility on the Winstep web site.

For next release I've already added a new 'Windows Widget' internal command to open up the Windows 11 widgets panel. I've also added a shortcut to it by default to the NextSTART taskbar.

The new internal command will only be available if you are running Windows 11, obviously. :D

Only problem is that I haven't been able to properly test it here yet (although there is no reason why it would not work).

Given Microsoft's current track record, I am definitely NOT installing Windows 11 on a production machine - and I still haven't gotten it to work on an Oracle VirtualBox VM due to Microsoft's silly TPM 2.0 and SecureBoot requirements.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:37 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Given Microsoft's current track record, I am definitely NOT installing Windows 11 on a production machine - and I still haven't gotten it to work on an Oracle VirtualBox VM due to Microsoft's silly TPM 2.0 and SecureBoot requirements.

Well, that's yet another reason I'll never, ever install Win 11 - SecureBoot is not compatible with dual-/multi-booting Linux. And even apart from that, upgrading - always a bad plan with Windows IMO, better to do a fresh install - would no doubt completely mess up my Linux partitions/systems.

Why oh why aren't we all using Linux yet instead of Windblows or macOS!? ;)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:

Apple isn't any better than Microsoft, and to understand why we aren't using Linux yet despite how badly we have been treated by Microsoft, all you need to do is watch Linus Tech Tips series on that subject on Youtube. Linux is a fragmented mess.

All those common "software should be free" expectations don't exactly help it either.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:47 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

Apple isn't any better than Microsoft, and to understand why we aren't using Linux yet despite how badly we have been treated by Microsoft, all you need to do is watch Linus Tech Tips series on that subject on Youtube. Linux is a fragmented mess.

All those common "software should be free" expectations don't exactly help it either.

I totally agree that the 'Rotten Fruit' is every bit as bad as MS in every way, no question about that. And yes, one of the problems with Linux is, far too many different distros. And another is too many different Desktop Environments/Window managers/etc. Linus Torvalds himself stated about a year or two ago that he was disappointed that there are so many divergent distros, while Mark Shuttleworth (Canonical/Father of Ubuntu) around about the same time voiced his disappointment that there wasn't one unitary Desktop Environment etc. (He had set out to provide just that with Ubuntu and the - quite excellent - 'Unity' desktop, now replaced by Gnome 3 modified to mimic Unity.

As for free software, this does not by any means necessarily mean free of cost. Free software simply means that the source should be freely available, and that anyone and everyone should be free to modify the programme as they wish and free to distribute this. This in fact, given the situation today where we are facing ever increasing and soon total surveillance and total invasion of our privacy both online, on telecoms, with 'Smart TVs' and the likes of Alexa and general IoT, and in the world around us i.e CCTV etc. and associated software (see China already!), truly free, open source software, is one of the few things that can help us to avoid a totalitarian future. Free software is, in that proper sense of open source and free to audit, modify, and use in any way you like, one of the greatest assets that Linux has. (And BTW, many if not most free software developers earn very nicely out of it in one way or another.)

More on how to preserve our (online) security and privacy, nay freedom even, would be more than a bit off topic here but if there's any interest I can always post in the appropriate forum. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:54 am 

winstep wrote:

Can't help with VirtualBox as I use VMware Workstation, and it is able to simulate TPM and Secure Boot if necessary.

However you should be able to install Windows 11 in VirtualBox by downloading the latest ISO for Windows 10 and Windows 11, and copying the Install.wim file from 11 to 10 - making the ISO bootable of course (either DVD image or USB). Then install the Windows 10 iso as normal.

I just installed Win11 on VMware Workstation without configuring TPM or secure boot by this method. Hopefully you should be able to do similar in Virtualbox.

Note - I have only just installed the latest build as a trial (i.e. I didn't supply a licence key) so don't know if there will be any update issues - I don't plan on using it particularly, but wanted to ensure that I had a progress path in the future if necessary.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:26 pm 

mbcdaltx wrote:
I've been using Nexus Ultimate on Win 11 for the past few days with no issues so far. Will install Xtreme in the next few days and see how it does.

hi, i have installed it on windows 11 today and set it up all without any issue but for some reason when enabling system tray icons i dont get my usual wifi,battery and volume taskbar icons but all others. did you manage to get them ? thanks please advise

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:06 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

mjiz16 wrote:
mbcdaltx wrote:
I've been using Nexus Ultimate on Win 11 for the past few days with no issues so far. Will install Xtreme in the next few days and see how it does.

hi, i have installed it on windows 11 today and set it up all without any issue but for some reason when enabling system tray icons i dont get my usual wifi,battery and volume taskbar icons but all others. did you manage to get them ? thanks please advise

That very issue has been covered in this forum several times already - just do a search! Which you always should do before posting a query and wasting everyone's time - please study the Board Rules and Guidelines etc. in the 'Announcements' forum and these posts viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11986 and viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11982 in this forum to help yourself and everyone else.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, looks like I just had a MAJOR breakthrough regarding the missing system icons (Power, Volume, Network) in the Windows 11 systray. This, of course, is due to the changes Microsoft made to the notification area in Windows 11.

I was afraid the only solution was to emulate these icons, which would be a MAJOR undertake given how the icons themselves reflect the status of the objects they represent, etc...

Well, turns out that the icons actually *still* exist in the normal Windows systray list, except they are hidden by Windows. But since they exist and accurately display current information, I can retrieve them as I would all other systray icons.

This basically solves the problem (altough I am still working on it since I **just** figured this out minutes ago - couldn't wait to share the good news though).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:02 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I don't have Windows 11 yet, but I'm delighted you've figured it out.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 32 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next