Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 32 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Has anyone tried Winstep Xtreme with Windows 11 preview yet?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:57 am 

I haven't had the opportunity yet but wondered if it works.

The deprecated taskbar features {https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11-specifications#primaryR4} may cause problems, but hopefully not - depends how it is coded.

Still trying to decide if NextStart is of benefit to me, as opposed to just Nexus Shelves.

Post subject: Re: Has anyone tried Winstep Xtreme with Windows 11 preview
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:50 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

techlobo wrote:
I haven't had the opportunity yet but wondered if it works.

The deprecated taskbar features {https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11-specifications#primaryR4} may cause problems, but hopefully not - depends how it is coded.

Still trying to decide if NextStart is of benefit to me, as opposed to just Nexus Shelves.

I wouldn't touch any Windblows preview with a very long barge pole myself. Not until hell freezes over, and even then. :P But I think we can be pretty safe in anticipating that Win 11 will break a whole shedload of stuff, and Winstep apps very likely won't be immune.

Hell, I'm going to be on W10 20H2 still when I set it up again, though it'll be in a VM under Ubuntu now.

As for deciding about NextSTART, bear in mind that it also gives you a complete - and completely configurable - replacement taskbar. It's proved extremely useful here on account of its extensive facilities and versatility. You can always download the full Xtreme and try it out for 30 days, BTW.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:39 pm 

I might not be the craziest of Winstep users, but I am a Windows Insider Preview participant and had enjoyed a fully functional Nexus (Ultimate) on Windows 10 Dev previews, and continue to do so since the leaked Alpha and the current Beta versions of Windows 11.
The only thing I see on a regular basis is a stray default icon in my system tray part of one dock when some kind of Windows notification came in. Clicking it makes it disappear. Other than that: business as usual.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:02 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

froschfinger wrote:
I might not be the craziest of Winstep users, but I am a Windows Insider Preview participant and had enjoyed a fully functional Nexus (Ultimate) on Windows 10 Dev previews, and continue to do so since the leaked Alpha and the current Beta versions of Windows 11.
The only thing I see on a regular basis is a stray default icon in my system tray part of one dock when some kind of Windows notification came in. Clicking it makes it disappear. Other than that: business as usual.

Well, you're extremely lucky then. I still wouldn't chance it myself, and still stick to the +6 months updates. I don't trust Windblows one little bit and can't wait for the day when I finally can get rid of it altogether, even though that'll mean parting from Winstep as well. Apart from things breaking all the time, what I object to even more is all the data harvesting that Win 10 (and macOS) indulge in, without my being able to object and stop it, and I gather that that is getting ever worse, especially with Win 11.

Thank f*** there's none of that s*** going on with Linux OSes. And never had the slightest problem there, with anything. At least, not since the early years and Slackware Linux back in the 1990s.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:01 am 

froschfinger wrote:

Thats good to know - hopefully there won't be too many mods needed when (/if) Jorge returns.

At least for Nexus.

NextStart may be impacted more if it conflicts with taskbar changes?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:41 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

techlobo wrote:
froschfinger wrote:

Thats good to know - hopefully there won't be too many mods needed when (/if) Jorge returns.

At least for Nexus.

NextStart may be impacted more if it conflicts with taskbar changes?

Indeed, some parts of NextSTART will almost certainly be affected, i.e. at least parts of the Nexus taskbar - we'll have to wait and see.

Whatever happens, I almost certainly won't be "upgrading" to Win 11 when it does appear, even if it should be made available free of charge. Should Win 10 become unusable, I'll just get rid of it and set up a small partition with XP on one or two machines (never to be run online of course), which will do just fine for the few apps that I still use - if by then there still is a need for them and there are still no suitable Linux apps by then.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:06 pm 

I've been using Nexus Ultimate on Win 11 for the past few days with no issues so far. Will install Xtreme in the next few days and see how it does.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:41 pm 

mbcdaltx wrote:
I've been using Nexus Ultimate on Win 11 for the past few days with no issues so far. Will install Xtreme in the next few days and see how it does.

That will be useful information as NextStart is more likely to be impacted, as per Nexters post above.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:41 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

There's a very interesting new post by Windy concerning Win 11 here -

https://forums.winstep.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11884

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:36 am 

mbcdaltx wrote:

Have you managed to test the NextStart aspects of Xtreme on Win11 yet?

Would appreciate an update.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:33 pm 

techlobo wrote:
mbcdaltx wrote:

Have you managed to test the NextStart aspects of Xtreme on Win11 yet?

Would appreciate an update.

Thanks.

I have used Extreme with Win 11 since the first day it was released, no issues at all!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:11 pm 

Well I've finally had the time to install Windows 11, along with Winstep Xtreme, into a VM - so now trialling whether Nextstart works in this OS.

My current use of Winstep taskbar is fairly basic, but so far everything seems to work OK. :)

Will trial a bit more tomorrow.

Post subject: Windows 11 and Displayfusion 10 beta 3
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:50 pm 

Just letting you know that I am running this with Windows 11 build 22000.184 and with Displayfusion 10 beta 3 and it is working fine with both for me , no problems at all that I have experienced as of yet.

Post subject: Re: Windows 11 and Displayfusion 10 beta 3
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:41 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

gibberingtechie wrote:
Just letting you know that I am running this with Windows 11 build 22000.184 and with Displayfusion 10 beta 3 and it is working fine with both for me , no problems at all that I have experienced as of yet.

Running what, exactly, with that? Winstep Xtreme, Nexus Ultimate, or Nexus?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:37 am 

Sorry , took so long getting an answer back to you. I am running Winstep Xtreme. I haven't had any issues with Winstep Xtreme and Windows 11 , or with Winstep Xtreme and the new Displayfusion beta.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 32 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next