Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Re: Taskbar customization questions
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:16 am 

You can do all of the things you ask, and more, with NextStart taskbar.

I understand from others on this forum that the Dock capabilities of Nexus are very good also, and those of Nexus Ultimate are even better. I don't use Docks myself but do use the WorkShelf capability of Nexus Ultimate and find that very useful.

:Moderator's note - OP later added spam, just discovered so OP banned and spammy post deleted. -Nexter:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:15 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

techlobo wrote:
You can do all of the things you ask, and more, with NextStart taskbar.

I understand from others on this forum that the Dock capabilities of Nexus are very good also, and those of Nexus Ultimate are even better. I don't use Docks myself but do use the WorkShelf capability of Nexus Ultimate and find that very useful.

It's ironic really in a way that you're not using the dock. The thing is, the metaphor of the dock was first introduced by the NeXTStep/Openstep OS back in the late 1980s, which served (among a few other functions) as a launcher for your most frequently used apps, with a separate tasklist for running apps not held on it at the bottom of the screen governed by the dock. Then around 1994 or 95 (IIRC) an experimental new user interface was introduced with the beta for Openstep 4 (or 4.1?), which replaced the dock with a shelf (another first), with running apps displayed on a cube - none of which was eventually released with the final release version. And the Nextstep/Openstep GUI was of course the original inspiration for Winstep. But instead of just sticking with one or the other, we ended up with both a dock and shelf (but no cube! ;) ) and now even multiple ones if you like. :)

As an aside - or two - much of the basic Linux OS was inspired by Next/Openstep as well, way back in the day, giving rise to the GNU project which still forms the essential 'backbone' of Linux (hence also the moniker 'GNU/Linux' - as Linux as such is really just the kernel of the OS). And more than merely inspiration, the Windows GUI from Win 95 and NT4 onwards actually reverse-engineered the Next/Openstep GUI and modified it (MS eventually did pay NeXT in the end) - the dock and its tasklist giving rise to the Windows taskbar and start menu, essentially.

Sadly, then-Next users - myself included - were eventually completely betrayed and left up the proverbial creek when Steve Jobs bought out Apple (which was on the verge of going bust) and dumbed down Openstep as the new MacOS X in 96, with all support for users of other hardware ended.

So all in all I guess you could say that NeXTStep/Openstep was the most influential desktop OS of all time with a truly revolutionary (at the time) GUI. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:53 am 

Everyones preferences differ, which is why there is a ready market for utilities.

Some people see these utilities as 'fixes' for problems within the OS, but in reality no OS is going to meet everyones expectations (read preferences) entirely. Therefore one of the requirements for an OS manufacturer / developer is to recognise this and provide the interfaces to enable it to be enhanced safely. The effectiveness of this varies widely.

I personally like the taskbar concept and the desktop paradigm. Unfortunately over time I have gathered a number of applications / utilities that I use with varying frequency, and my desktop was becoming somewhat cluttered. I could have just modified the Start menu to present my 'preferred collection' in a more accessible format. However the Workshelf capability enables me to provide a horizontal customisable menu of desktop icons which just suits me better. I still keep my reqular (daily, or at least more used) icons on the desktop where they are readily accessible - but now I can more easily find them again :D

I still like the current (Windows 7 / 10) taskbar but as it looks as if it is going to disappear in Windows 11 I'm trialling NextStart's taskbar to see if it is a viable alternative. So far so good, although I would prefer it if an active quick launch item didn't take up space in the Tasklist area - I can see why it was done this way, but would still prefer the option not to (just display the active icon over the quick launch one, as per current windows taskbar approach).

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]