Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: [NextStart] Can't get hotspots to work on 2nd or 3rd monitor
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:12 am 

I'm currently evaluating a trial of NextStart (I'm on my 2nd day). So far I've been able to get my pre-Windows-11 workflow restored using DisplayFusion, StartAllBack, and Winstep without any major issues (DisplayFusion Pro has been an essential tool of mine for over a decade now).

But so far I've had zero luck with the hotspot functionality on Winstep NextStart when trying it on my other monitors (primary monitor is a 38" 3840x1600, flanked by two 27" 2560x1440 monitors). Hotspots do not work at all on either 27" monitor. I've tried edge bumps, left, middle, and right click hotspots and absolutely none of them work on anything other than the primary monitor. What am I doing wrong?

Post subject: Re: [NextStart] Can't get hotspots to work on 2nd or 3rd mon
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:42 am 

Hi, I was waiting for someone with a multi-monitor setup to provide some feedback - as I only run a single monitor setup currently.

However this post https://forums.winstep.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11553 suggests that it may not currently be possible. Unless someone knows differently?

Otherwise we are awaiting Jorge's return to confirm, and potentially indicate whether this sort of feature will be added in the near future.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:31 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

techlobo wrote:
Hi, I was waiting for someone with a multi-monitor setup to provide some feedback - as I only run a single monitor setup currently.

However this post https://forums.winstep.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11553 suggests that it may not currently be possible. Unless someone knows differently?

Otherwise we are awaiting Jorge's return to confirm, and potentially indicate whether this sort of feature will be added in the near future.

I, too, like Windy in that other thread only dupe the display when connecting the laptop to my main monitor (32in. 4K @ FuLL HD +) and then don't use the laptop monitor (or KB, equally using an external USB one).

Alas, indeed it is currently impossible to use corner bumps on secondary displays as Jorge himself confirmed. Fortunately, he seems committed to implementing this in due course.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:04 am 

A little note somewhere in the UI saying hotspots are only supported on the primary monitor would sure have saved me a lot of trial and error. I would imagine this is simply a limitation with the current implementation method and not a hard limitation by the OS, because DisplayFusion seems to be able to do some crazy complicated stuff on my other monitors without issue. But with that said, this actually worked to my benefit...

So far the only major feature I'm using from Winstep are the menus from NextSTART. I've got a folder content menu triggered by a top-left corner bump hotspot on my primary monitor, and then 4 different additional custom menus and folder content menus mapped to hotkeys. Those hotkeys are then mapped to the 5-axis gesture button on my Logitech MX Master 3 mouse. This is actually more convenient than the hotspots I was originally wanting, since it's now virtually impossible for me to trigger these menus accidentally. I would have never even thought of using the 5-axis gesture button on the mouse for such purposes had the NextSTART hotspots worked correctly on the other monitors, so in a way it not working actually did me a favor. 8)

P.S. As an aside, the MX Master 3 is easily one of the best "macroable" mouses available if you're a macro junkie like me (it's also the only mouse available right now that will work on clear glass). I've also got an Elgato Stream Deck XL with several pagesets mapped to macros and shortcuts for various applications.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]