Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: Start Menu Troubles -SOLVED
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:25 pm 

I am trying to make a custom start menu button on one of my docks but when I click it the start menu opens to the far left like it would if the taskbar was there. Is there a way to lock it to where I have the button placed ? I tried repeatedly to upload a screenshot of this but after resizing 5 times to under 50kb and the site saying it was still too big I gave up on that :( Anyhoo I plan on having all custom docks and no taskbar or nextstart taskbar. Thank you !

Last edited by DarrowLykos on Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Start Menu Troubles
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:10 am 

You can do this with a hotspot that calls a custom menu.

1. Create your custom menu in Menu Editor
  2. Create a new Hotspot and make sure that it is activated by clicking on the hotspot, or by a button in the quick launch area (you don't have to display the Nextstart taskbar to use the hotspot)
  3. In the Dock insert a new Dock Item and select your hotspot from the Nextstart Hotspot list

Assuming that you want the menu to be next to the Dock item ensure that the option 'Popup this menu next to the Mouse pointer' is selected when you are creating the hotspot.

Note - ensure that you OK out of the Nextstart Preferences dialog box after you have applied the new menu, to ensure that it appears in the list of Nextstart hotspots when you are selecting these on the dock.

If this isn't what you want then please provide the screenschots you mention by using something like imgBB.com which lets you post images upto 32MB and provides a link that can be used on phpBB boards (so that the screenshot can be seen in the topic).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:53 am 

https://ibb.co/dPjfcBp

I was abler to post a screenshot for you :) TY for the directions to do that :) I meant the default windows start menu I'm sorry I should have been more specific. As you will see in the screenshot I have the menu button in the middle of the right screen and the menu pops up on the left like the task bar is still there. Thank you for helping !

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:54 am 

I think i remember Jorge (author) writing somewhere that startmenu loccation is hardcoded into windows

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:57 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

seeker wrote:
I think i remember Jorge (author) writing somewhere that startmenu loccation is hardcoded into windows

Yes, it is, IIRC. Within the Windows context, it would not make sense to have it otherwise, actually.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:45 am 

:shock: :(
Well thank you either way for helping. I will have to figure something else out :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:25 am 

I can't decide from your screenshot whether you are using an ultrawide monitor, or the desktop split across more than one monitor. I suspect the former.

Don't know if this will work for you but worth a try - works OK on my normal monitor!

Give the Chris'n'Soft openstartmenu utility a go with the /mouse option - you will need to create a shortcut and add it to your dock.

http://www.chrisnsoft.com/download

Don't know if this works with multi-monitor setup, as I don't currently run one.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:52 am 

My main goal was to hide my task bar and make my other docks translucent, with win 10 you can't fully make your taskbar translucent so I wanted to use a dock but, could not get the windows menu to follow it. Instead I found an app called Translucent Taskbar https://translucenttb.en.uptodown.com/windows and it makes my taskbar completely see-through :) I'm using a wallpaper engine and wanted minimal in the way of the viewing, this solved the issue by dragging my taskbar to my 2nd monitor and making it clear :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:54 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

DarrowLykos wrote:
Instead I found an app called Translucent Taskbar https://translucenttb.en.uptodown.com/windows and it makes my taskbar completely see-through :)

For those who prefer to get programs from the original developer (as I do), you can get it here:

https://github.com/translucenttb/translucenttb

Note that he has a donation link on that page if you want to show your appreciation.

He also has it listed in the Microsoft Store if you'd like to take advantage of automatic updates, but you can download it directly from the github page on the Releases tab.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:35 pm 

My bad on the link I should have dug a little further and noticed it was not the original site, I would have rather posted that link :) Thank you for the catch !

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:32 am 

The openstartmenu app worked perfect for what I was looking for. I was able to place it on the dock I wanted and the start menu will open there :) Thank you techlobo for all the help !!

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 11 posts ]