Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Running Program Anchor/Dock
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:25 am 

I have my dock divided into programs, folders and settings and at the very end of the dock is my trash. Unfortunately the running programs are always placed behind the trash. I have not yet found a way to prevent this.

It would be a good idea if there was an anchor where the running programs appear in the dock. This would make it easier to organize the order of the icons in the Dock.

Post subject: Re: Running Program Anchor/Dock
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:06 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

DracoC2M wrote:
I have my dock divided into programs, folders and settings and at the very end of the dock is my trash. Unfortunately the running programs are always placed behind the trash. I have not yet found a way to prevent this.

It would be a good idea if there was an anchor where the running programs appear in the dock. This would make it easier to organize the order of the icons in the Dock.

What you're asking is basically to turn the dock into a taskbar - the NextStart taskbar lets you arrange it just that way. So you may be better off using the NextStart taskbar instead of a dock. You can always place apps using hotspots.

I don't think it would actually be possible to have a selectable fixed order in the dock, though Jorge may yet prove me wrong when he returns. :)

There's just too much choice, really. Too much choice - in anything - is never a good thing. It's a case of too much of a good thing.... ;)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:50 am 

NextStart is too much for me. I bought both programs, but I like the lightweight concept of the Dock. I have an ultra-wide 3840 x 1080 screen and all kinds of normal taskbars don't look good on my screen. It would be much cooler to use just the dock.

Another idea would be to have an icon with an option appear at the very end of the dock.

Another thing is missing. The Windows 11 widget icon should also be available as a module.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:59 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

DracoC2M wrote:
NextStart is too much for me. I bought both programs, but I like the lightweight concept of the Dock. I have an ultra-wide 3840 x 1080 screen and all kinds of normal taskbars don't look good on my screen. It would be much cooler to use just the dock.

Another idea would be to have an icon with an option appear at the very end of the dock.

Another thing is missing. The Windows 11 widget icon should also be available as a module.

What option? Be specific.

Windows 11 is not even officially released yet so off the horizon here. Also, it may have escaped your notice that the sole developer and proprietor of Winstep is temporarily absent at the moment with no current ETA.

Personally, I think the Win 11 widget icon is an abomination that would be totally out of place in Winstep. But that's just my personal opinion.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:37 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
Windows 11 is not even officially released yet

Yes, it is.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11

It was released on October 5, 2021, (or 5 October 2021 :D) to both manufacturers and the public.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:57 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

DesertDwarf wrote:
nexter wrote:
Windows 11 is not even officially released yet

Yes, it is.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11

It was released on October 5, 2021, (or 5 October 2021 :D) to both manufacturers and the public.

Ah, alright, I stand corrected! However, my previous comments still stand. And anyway, nobody in their right mind should touch Win 11 for at least a couple of years. Myself, I'll never have it here. And when I finally get to install Win 10 again, even though my VPN allows me additionally to route all connections via the TOR network, it will normally only be used strictly off-line. Not that it will see that much use. :)

Erm, both formats are acceptable actually, but both should always be used with the 'th' (or 'nd' or 'rd') after the day. :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:53 am 

Well, this project is about customizing the Windows user interface, am I right?

I think the user should be able to make their own choice of which icon to place in which dock or menu. I know your developer is absent. But I am a customer who has purchased software, and so I inform you of things that don't work well in the hope that they will be fixed.

Why am I using Windows 11? I'm an IT professional. Therefore, I need to use new software and operating systems to be able to support others.

I understand your personal opinion, but mine is a little different. Winstep Nexus is by far the best choice for user interface customization. And it works very well on Windows 11. It would be cool if you could add some more options to make it even better.

My idea in detail:
Just add a checkbox for a dock element (in my case the recycle bin) to the configuration panel.
[ ] Align Right (or something like that)

That would make it a bit more like the MacOS dock ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:44 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

DracoC2M wrote:
Well, this project is about customizing the Windows user interface, am I right?

I think the user should be able to make their own choice of which icon to place in which dock or menu. I know your developer is absent. But I am a customer who has purchased software, and so I inform you of things that don't work well in the hope that they will be fixed.

Why am I using Windows 11? I'm an IT professional. Therefore, I need to use new software and operating systems to be able to support others.

I understand your personal opinion, but mine is a little different. Winstep Nexus is by far the best choice for user interface customization. And it works very well on Windows 11. It would be cool if you could add some more options to make it even better.

My idea in detail:
Just add a checkbox for a dock element (in my case the recycle bin) to the configuration panel.
[ ] Align Right (or something like that)

That would make it a bit more like the MacOS dock ;-)

This is not a case of something not working well. It is simply a design feature going back to when Nexus was simply a conventional dock, broadly based on the dock of the NeXtStep/Openstep OS, and there was no need to configure it for things that were not even thought of at that stage, such as the system tray or running applications not on the dock. I rather suspect that what you're asking for would require a major re-write of the app.

I can understand your wish to arrange the dock the way you want, and you could always post that as a detailed feature request in the 'Winstep Wishlist' pinned thread. However, from a personal POV I don't think it is feasible for any app to be all things to all people, nor even desirable. And in the case of the Winstep apps, IMO Jorge - the sole developer and proprietor - just likes to bend over backwards to please people and if possible adds in everything including the kitchen sink and it's already gone far too far (sorry Jorge). There simply is far too much overlap/duplication of functionality among the various components, i.e., the Nextstart taskbar, the shelf, and the dock. Even - perhaps especially - from a commercial POV that simply does not make sense. It also completely distorts the original metaphors and makes them almost meaningless.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]