Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Auto-hide for Maximized applications when always top?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:05 am 

So when I settings preferences
Position>Always above others windows
Behavior>Auto-hide for maximized applications when always on top

Nexus dock work as expected BUT there is bug when I (launch app from taskbar, click empty space on taskbar, and when i use photoshop then i click opacity % and fill) nexus dock always show up.. it bugging me with this setting

When i setting position>same as other windows/below other windows.. 2 bugs in above is gone but animation slide not working

So we expected when always above other windows and auto hide for maximized apps when on top it work like latte dock in linux when visibility setting dodge maximized

Post subject: Re: [Bugs] Auto-hide for Maximized applications when always
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:58 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

CXZ321dsa321 wrote:
So when I settings preferences
Position>Always above others windows
Behavior>Auto-hide for maximized applications when always on top

Nexus dock work as expected BUT there is bug when I (launch app from taskbar, click empty space on taskbar, and when i use photoshop then i click opacity % and fill) nexus dock always show up.. it bugging me with this setting

When i setting position>same as other windows/below other windows.. 2 bugs in above is gone but animation slide not working

So we expected when always above other windows and auto hide for maximized apps when on top it work like latte dock in linux when visibility setting dodge maximized

I'm afraid I can make neither head nor tails out of this post, sorry. I guess I'm just not used to much less than good English and often do find it very tricky to understand non-native English speakers, esp. in writing, and even a lot of US American accents/'dialects'.

I hope somebody else can do better here and help. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:09 am 

Step to Reproduce:
Set Position>always above other windows
Set Behavior>Auto-hide for maximized apps

Then

Open some apps in maximized, then dock will hide

Then click empty space on taskbar, or anything in taskbar
Then something weird about dock will show

https://streamable.com/4326xd

Sorry for bad english hehe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:09 am 

CXZ321dsa321 wrote:

This is expected behaviour for a dock whose position is the 'same as other windows'. i.e. the dock is acting like any other application window, and as it hasn't been given focus it is not appearing. You get that focus with the edge bump (or hot key).

However you are correct in that the dock appears to not act as expected when its position is set to be 'always above other windows' and the behavior of 'Auto-hide for maximised applications when always on top' is selected.

I suspect that this latter peculiarity is due to the dock not recognising that when a control opens a separate (child) window within the maximised application it is still associated with that application. It appears to see the new child window as a separate application instance, that is not maximised, and hence appears. i.e. the auto-hide setting is only being applied to the parent window (or at least not to ALL child windows). If this is the case then I strongly suspect it can only be fixed by Jorge (who continues to be absent).

I think that your only options for now are to either 'auto-hide the dock after a short delay' (which means that you will have to edge bump / hot key to activate it), or 'Prevent maximised windows from overlapping the dock' (which means that your dock will be permanently on display).

In the former case you can select 'Hide or collapse automatically only when other windows have the focus' (from Auto-Hide settings) to prevent the dock hiding again until you select another application window to work on.

Alternatively you will just have to accept the current behaviour until it is fixed. :(

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:09 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

techlobo wrote:
CXZ321dsa321 wrote:

This is expected behaviour for a dock whose position is the 'same as other windows'. i.e. the dock is acting like any other application window, and as it hasn't been given focus it is not appearing. You get that focus with the edge bump (or hot key).

However you are correct in that the dock appears to not act as expected when its position is set to be 'always above other windows' and the behavior of 'Auto-hide for maximised applications when always on top' is selected.

I suspect that this latter peculiarity is due to the dock not recognising that when a control opens a separate (child) window within the maximised application it is still associated with that application. It appears to see the new child window as a separate application instance, that is not maximised, and hence appears. i.e. the auto-hide setting is only being applied to the parent window (or at least not to ALL child windows). If this is the case then I strongly suspect it can only be fixed by Jorge (who continues to be absent).

I think that your only options for now are to either 'auto-hide the dock after a short delay' (which means that you will have to edge bump / hot key to activate it), or 'Prevent maximised windows from overlapping the dock' (which means that your dock will be permanently on display).

In the former case you can select 'Hide or collapse automatically only when other windows have the focus' (from Auto-Hide settings) to prevent the dock hiding again until you select another application window to work on.

Alternatively you will just have to accept the current behaviour until it is fixed. :(

This does not appear to be a bug, going by the above, but a design issue. Hence I'm changing the title of this thread by removing the '[Bugs]' part.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post subject: Re: Auto-hide for Maximized applications when always top?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:37 pm 

Sorry Nexter, but I'm afraid that I have to agree with the OP that the applications behaviour when the settings are configured as:
  1. Position is set to be 'always above other windows', and
  2. Behavior of 'Auto-hide for maximised applications when always on top' is set to on
is a bug. The dock should not be appearing when a control that shows a child window (in a maximised application) is selected.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:10 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

techlobo wrote:
Sorry Nexter, but I'm afraid that I have to agree with the OP that the applications behaviour when the settings are configured as:
  1. Position is set to be 'always above other windows', and
  2. Behavior of 'Auto-hide for maximised applications when always on top' is set to on
is a bug. The dock should not be appearing when a control that shows a child window (in a maximised application) is selected.

I think this is a matter of two functions clashing, therefore a feature issue. A bug implies an inherent malfunction of a given function. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm going to have to agree with the OP on this one too... it's a bug.

If the parent window of a control is maximized, that should not happen. I'll have to check it out, but I already have a pretty good idea on what the problem might be (unless Photoshop is doing something funky with the controls).

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]