Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: New Posters - PLEASE NOTE! - SUPERSEDED!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:08 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

If you have not posted on this board before - or even if you have, but only in a limited way - please do read and heed the 'Guidelines and Hints & Tips' here -

https://forums.winstep.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11961

You could also benefit from reading the Board Rules in the same post.

In the first instance, new posters would do well also to get to know the Board and the various forums at least a bit.

Moderator's note - This thread has been superseded here :
https://forums.winstep.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12387

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post subject: Re: New Posters - PLEASE NOTE!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:34 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
If you have not posted on this board before - or even if you have, but only in a limited way - please do read and heed the 'Guidelines and Hints & Tips' here -

In the first instance, new posters would do well also to get to know the Board and the various forums at least a bit.

Doesn't anybody read the damn Guidelines etc. and Board Rules!? It's pathetic.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:56 am 

Out of curiosity - are the moderators able to include the guidelines in the Announcements section at the top of this (General Discussion) forum, or at least include as a Sticky?

Also does the phpBB template being used allow a moderator to select a different colour font for the subject text?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:35 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

techlobo wrote:
Out of curiosity - are the moderators able to include the guidelines in the Announcements section at the top of this (General Discussion) forum, or at least include as a Sticky?

Also does the phpBB template being used allow a moderator to select a different colour font for the subject text?

Alas, techlobo, the Announcements section in General Discussions is just a sub-section of this forum and moderators have no way of moving any posts into this. Also we cannot create 'Stickies' it would seem, possibly a limitation of phpBB2 as ISTR that moderators can do so under phpBB3. (A lot of other measures can be enabled by admins for moderators certainly under phpBB3, too.)

Certainly, I would have very much preferred to make the Board Rules etc. 'Sticky', including also this post.

As for font colours, these would appear to have been disabled globally by either Jorge as admin or by whoever set up and configured the board. However, in any case I don't think colours can be applied to topic titles, IIRC.

The problem is that the Winstep board has been limping along since the beginning without any set rules or guidelines and is probably the most disorderly board I've ever known, and it's going to take a good bit of time for the Rules and Guidelines to penetrate the 'populace', and especially also to get new users inline.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:56 pm 

nexter wrote:
Also we cannot create 'Stickies' it would seem, possibly a limitation of phpBB2 as ISTR that moderators can do so under phpBB3. (A lot of other measures can be enabled by admins for moderators certainly under phpBB3, too.)

Mayhap it is time for the board to be updated - at least to get it to phpBB3, and possibly to add a few other capabilities.

nexter wrote:
However, in any case I don't think colours can be applied to topic titles, IIRC.

There are ways of doing this if required, but again I suspect it requires phpBB3.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:07 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

techlobo wrote:
nexter wrote:
Also we cannot create 'Stickies' it would seem, possibly a limitation of phpBB2 as ISTR that moderators can do so under phpBB3. (A lot of other measures can be enabled by admins for moderators certainly under phpBB3, too.)

Mayhap it is time for the board to be updated - at least to get it to phpBB3, and possibly to add a few other capabilities.

nexter wrote:
However, in any case I don't think colours can be applied to topic titles, IIRC.

There are ways of doing this if required, but again I suspect it requires phpBB3.

Updating the board to phpBB3 (it's 3.3 now I think) is long, long overdue. Unfortunately, Jorge is worried about losing the customisations, although it would be quite easy to copy these over to 3. But finding a developer to do it is the other problem I guess, plus the cost. It would also mean losing almost all spam, especially spam bots.

Yes, I think font colours for topic titles are possible under 3, at any rate for mods and admins.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:17 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:

Posts that do not comply with the guidelines or rules may face deletion and a likely warning.

So, you have been warned!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:56 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
nexter wrote:

Posts that do not comply with the guidelines or rules may face deletion and a likely warning.

Having to repeat these notifications to keep them at/near the top as we moderators cannot create 'Stickies' on this board.

Follow the rules and guidelines and all will be fine. Ignore them at your peril.

- nexter (Global Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:01 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
nexter wrote:

Having to repeat these notifications to keep them at/near the top as we moderators cannot create 'Stickies' on this board.

Follow the rules and guidelines and all will be fine. Ignore them at your peril.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:31 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
nexter wrote:
nexter wrote:

This is for everyone's benefit, so that the Winstep board will be easier to peruse, read, search and find answers. It will also mean that staff can answer more queries and help more.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:18 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
nexter wrote:
nexter wrote:

Hoping not to have to repeat post this any further.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:39 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
nexter wrote:
nexter wrote:

This is for everyone's benefit, so that the Winstep board will be easier to peruse, read, search and find answers. It will also mean that staff can answer more queries and help more.

Hoping not to have to repeat post this any further.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:32 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
nexter wrote:
nexter wrote:

I hope that this topic will not need to be re-posted again as the 'Rules and Guidelines' have been up long enough now, surely.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:55 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

In view of the sole owner/programmer of Winstep and admin of this board Jorge Coelho's renewed temporary absence due to health issues, it has become imperative to reiterate the original post once more. There are only two of us volunteer moderators here with only very limited spare time to keep this board running smoothly, so it is essential that everybody adheres to the rules. Posts that do not may risk being ignored or even deleted, and in some cases could result in an official warning.

You would also benefit from reading the Board Rules in the same post.

In the first instance, new posters would do well also to get to know the Board and the various forums at least a bit before posting themselves.

It is to be hoped that Jorge Coelho will be able to return to active service soon and that this topic will not need to be re-posted. In the meantime, I hope everybody will help ensure that Jorge's already extremely heavy workload is kept as small and simple as possible by observing the rules. Thank you.

-nexter (Global Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 11:57 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Please note that there are only two of us volunteer moderators here with only very limited spare time and one admin/coder/owner to keep this board running smoothly, so it is essential that everybody adheres to the rules. Posts that do not may risk being ignored or even deleted, and in some cases could result in an official warning.

You would also benefit from reading the Board Rules in the same post.

In the first instance, new posters would do well also to get to know the Board and the various forums at least a bit before posting themselves.

It will also help relieve Jorge Coelho's heavy workload wrt updates as well as with catching up on the backlog of support issues.

Thank you.

-nexter (Global Moderator)

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next