Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Issue with Closing 1 of 2 Preview Windows in Nexus
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:00 am 

I have this very strange issue.

The issue is for the application tabs opened twice.
For example, if I have a one-word document opened and minimized. when I open another document the minimized document is also maximized automatically.
And another issue is that when I hover the mouse through the dock and see multiple tabs opened for the same application (multiple word files for example), when I proceed to close one then all of the word related tabs are closed.

For example I have pinned word application in dock. I open one word file and minimize it. Then i proceed to open another word file (different). now both files are maximized in the window. (the new one over top of old one). then i minimize both files. when i hover over pinned word app in dock, i can see preview of both files in small window. if i proceed to click X (close) one of the mini window, both of them get closed (which i don;t want).

Is there a solution for this?

Last edited by pkaka on Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Issue with multiple tab
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:29 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Your post does not contain sufficient information, nor does it explain your problem properly. The title of your post likewise does not tell me anything.

Please read the Guidelines (and Board Rules), study them carefully and observe them or your post may face being deleted.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:40 am 

nexter wrote:
Your post does not contain sufficient information, nor does it explain your problem properly. The title of your post likewise does not tell me anything.

Please read the Guidelines (and Board Rules), study them carefully and observe them or your post may face being deleted.

Ok. So I will try to explain it properly.

I have pinned word application in dock. I open one word file and minimize it. Then i proceed to open another word file (different). now both files are maximized in the window. (the new one over top of old one). then i minimize both files. when i hover over pinned word app in dock, i can see preview of both files in small window. if i proceed to click X (close) one of the mini window, both of them get closed (which i don;t want).

Hope i was able to explain it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:02 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

pkaka wrote:
Ok. So I will try to explain it properly.

I have pinned word application in dock. I open one word file and minimize it. Then i proceed to open another word file (different). now both files are maximized in the window. (the new one over top of old one). then i minimize both files. when i hover over pinned word app in dock, i can see preview of both files in small window. if i proceed to click X (close) one of the mini window, both of them get closed (which i don;t want).

Hope i was able to explain it.

Your topic title not only explains nothing but actually confuses the issue. I have therefore edited it to something more sensible, rather than deleting your post.

What you describe certainly is not normal behaviour. Have you done a search of the forum to see if this has been covered somewhere already?

Also, you still don't provide enough information. Study the Guidelines and be guided in what info to provide and other points of posting.

Without further info it is difficult to figure this out.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:40 am 

What you describe certainly is not normal behaviour. Have you done a search of the forum to see if this has been covered somewhere already?

Also, you still don't provide enough information. Study the Guidelines and be guided in what info to provide and other points of posting.

Without further info it is difficult to figure this out.[/quote]

I have recorded the issue. The gif video is around 20MB so i can't upload it. Is there a way i can send you as PM so you can understand what is going on?

Post subject: Re: Issue with Closing 1 of 2 Preview Windows in Nexus
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:01 am 

Ok, I have uploaded photos.
1. I opened a excel file.
2. I minimize that file.
3. I opened another excel file.
4. both excel files are opened now. Only wanted to open the second file and first to
remain minimized.
5. I minimized both ( i have three minimized excel files/one i opened later). Then I
tried to close one file only
6. When I pressed close one file, all three files are closed. I only wanted to close
one.

Attachments:
Presentation1.jpg
Presentation1.jpg [ 562.95 KiB | Viewed 6673 times ]

Post subject: Re: Issue with Closing 1 of 2 Preview Windows in Nexus
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:06 pm 

Firstly, Nexter is correct in that you need to provide more info about your environment as it can impact operation e.g. which version of Office are you using; what is the desktop OS; which aspect and what version of Winstep are you using;.... ?

He is trying to get people to provide the necessary data for other users to try and assist, and is having a great deal of difficulty in getting them to do this!!

In terms of your problem as stated, all I can say is that I do not experience this behaviour with Word 2019.

I do experience it with Excel 2019 due to the fact that by default the application uses a shared instance for all spreadsheet files opened. This can cause issues with 3rd party applications that manipulate (e.g. close) individual files from outside of the Excel application - effectively Winstep asks Excel to close the instance, which it then takes to be the application (with all files).

You can get Excel to open a separate instance for each spreadsheet file, which then 'fixes' the issue that you refer to - but does mean that you use a bit more system memory (as there will be multiple copies of the Excel application running), and can no longer switch between spreadsheets from the Excel menubar with View -> Switch Windows. [Obviously you can switch using the Windows / Winstep taskbar or dock].

I would suggest that you do a web search for the different methods - I seem to recall that you can use a command line switch on a desktop shortcut, and that there was a registry setting that you can configure if you want to use file associations.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]