Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: "#Me Too" and other Nonsense....
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:08 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

What kind of foolishness is it that makes some imbecilic creatures post replies saying something to the effect of 'me too', or 'I have a similar/the same problem/issue'!? This is not contributing anything to the forum except unnecessary and unwarranted noise instead of signal.

Similarly adding noise instead of signal are mindless, moronic posts asking plain stupid questions (which may or may not warrant a stupid answer - I think they don't merit even that, myself) such as, e.g., 'how does this software work?' Really!? (Deep breaths..... ;) )

Now, I don't suffer fools, neither gladly nor otherwise, never have, never will. And I have a hot temperament and an equally hot temper when provoked, and thus have been known to rip people new sphincters. Cross me with foolishness at your peril. :P I have always lived by the principle of saying exactly what I mean and meaning what I say, and saying things articulately, even eloquently where appropriate, and in good standard British English. Something that my parents and teachers drummed into me, and had I failed in doing so my arse would soon have made painful acquaintance with Mr. Cane from both the aforesaid parties. :)

Granted, not everybody here would be a native English speaker of any kind. However, if I wish to participate in a discussion in a language of which I do not have any reasonable degree of mastery, then I see it as my absolute duty to make every effort to get up to scratch as it were, or if that is not possible, then - in this day and age - to use an online translation utility, at a push. The latter is a far from perfect solution but in many cases quite reasonable. (Although it can produce results that have turned a perfectly innocent sentence or expression into a humongous, mortal insult!)

It really is not all that difficult to be reasonably articulate and construct sentences without the use of meaningless, superfluous 'fill words' and expressions, surely.

:/end rant

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post subject: Re: "#Me Too" and other Nonsense....
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:10 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
What kind of foolishness is it that makes some imbecilic creatures post replies saying something to the effect of 'me too', or 'I have a similar/the same problem/issue'!? This is not contributing anything to the forum except unnecessary and unwarranted noise instead of signal.

Similarly adding noise instead of signal are mindless, moronic posts asking plain stupid questions (which may or may not warrant a stupid answer - I think they don't merit even that, myself) such as, e.g., 'how does this software work?' Really!? (Deep breaths..... ;) )

Now, I don't suffer fools, neither gladly nor otherwise, never have, never will. And I have a hot temperament and an equally hot temper when provoked, and thus have been known to rip people new sphincters. Cross me with foolishness at your peril. :P I have always lived by the principle of saying exactly what I mean and meaning what I say, and saying things articulately, even eloquently where appropriate, and in good standard British English. Something that my parents and teachers drummed into me, and had I failed in doing so my arse would soon have made painful acquaintance with Mr. Cane from both the aforesaid parties. :)

Granted, not everybody here would be a native English speaker of any kind. However, if I wish to participate in a discussion in a language of which I do not have any reasonable degree of mastery, then I see it as my absolute duty to make every effort to get up to scratch as it were, or if that is not possible, then - in this day and age - to use an online translation utility, at a push. The latter is a far from perfect solution but in many cases quite reasonable. (Although it can produce results that have turned a perfectly innocent sentence or expression into a humongous, mortal insult!)

It really is not all that difficult to be reasonably articulate and construct sentences without the use of meaningless, superfluous 'fill words' and expressions, surely.

:/end rant

However, behave intelligently and nicely, and I'm all sweetness and light. :)

The simple reason the above and other things are so irritating is that that kind of thing makes this board what it is, and that is, very messy to browse and read and almost impossible to actually help people. Additionally to that, it is a real PITA to moderate this board in these conditions.

What I am trying very hard to do is to bring some order into this board and make it easy and pleasant for everybody to visit and peruse and read, make it easier for other users as well as staff to answer queries or help with issues, and make it manageable and as hassle free as possible to moderate and admin.

I am seriously considering giving new posters who cannot be arsed to get to know the board and read - and abide by - the Board Rules and Guidelines etc. an official warning from now on, because all this foolishness simply has to stop in the interest of usability.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 2 posts ]