Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: [SOLVED] Nexus causing flickering in many programs
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:10 am 

Hello, Ive been dealing with flickering for about a year that only happens with nexus ultimate running. I switched browsers and still no luck. Sometimes its just the top bar, other times its my whole screen. Its getting very intolerable lately and happens a few times per minute. Ive added a video to show the issue, this is the nicer more modest version of the flicker I get. Im running two docks, one for desktop shortcuts the other with pop out drawers for my programs.

Nexus Ultimate version 20.10
Latest Display Drivers

Programs affected:

Microsoft Edge
Google Chrome
Spotify Desktop
Davinci Resolve

Last edited by ratchetsup on Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Nexus causing flickering in many programs
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:03 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

ratchetsup wrote:
Hello, Ive been dealing with flickering for about a year that only happens with nexus ultimate running. I switched browsers and still no luck. Sometimes its just the top bar, other times its my whole screen. Its getting very intolerable lately and happens a few times per minute. Ive added a video to show the issue, this is the nicer more modest version of the flicker I get. Im running two docks, one for desktop shortcuts the other with pop out drawers for my programs.

Nexus Ultimate version 20.10
Latest Display Drivers

Programs affected:

Microsoft Edge
Google Chrome
Spotify Desktop
Davinci Resolve

https://youtu.be/X2BmgGFKcKA

This could be a problem between your display drivers (which ones?) and the affected programs, or possibly a problem between Nexus and the display drivers, though the latter seems unlikely. This issue most likely will have to be addressed by the coder/owner of Winstep himself when he returns, I'm afraid.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ratchetsup wrote:
Hello, Ive been dealing with flickering for about a year that only happens with nexus ultimate running.

What version of Windows are you running? Are you running a window skinning application like WindowBlinds, for instance?

Anyway, if you pause the video just before it flickers and then advance/rewind it frame by frame by pressing the "," and '.' keys, you can see that the flicker is the actual "basic" titlebar being painted for a moment where the normal titlebar would be.

I think you will be able to solve this by going to Preferences -> Tasks tab -> Advanced button -> and disabling "Show icons of running applications as window thumbnails"

This will, of course, also prevent Nexus Ultimate from displaying window thumbnails instead of icons in the running applications section of the dock(s).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:48 am 

winstep wrote:
I think you will be able to solve this by going to Preferences -> Tasks tab -> Advanced button -> and disabling "Show icons of running applications as window thumbnails"

Amazing, this solved it for me!
(Windows 10 enterprise 10.0.19004 build 1904)

Truly appreciate your work and support.
Have a great holiday and thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:55 am 

nexter wrote:
This could be a problem between your display drivers (which ones?) and the affected programs, or possibly a problem between Nexus and the display drivers, though the latter seems unlikely. This issue most likely will have to be addressed by the coder/owner of Winstep himself when he returns, I'm afraid.

I thought so too only its happened for so long with multiple driver versions and reinstalling as well.
Thanks for your time, his steps solved it for me!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:39 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

ratchetsup wrote:
nexter wrote:

I thought so too only its happened for so long with multiple driver versions and reinstalling as well.
Thanks for your time, his steps solved it for me!

My pleasure. Happy it got sorted for you. :) And thanks for marking the thread 'SOLVED' - it really is so useful, especially for people who might be doing a search and then can see at a glance that their similar/same problem has been solved.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ratchetsup wrote:
Amazing, this solved it for me!
(Windows 10 enterprise 10.0.19004 build 1904)

Truly appreciate your work and support.
Have a great holiday and thank you!

Thanks, you too! :)

I know what was causing it, I just don't know WHY it's happening on your system. Personally I've never seen that happening on any of the Windows versions I ever ran.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]