Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Winstep Xtreme Release
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:07 pm 

Attachment:
Screenshot 2022-01-02 151005.png
Screenshot 2022-01-02 151005.png [ 4.54 KiB | Viewed 6230 times ]

Hey guys, what is the latest version of winstep before April 23, 2020?

My key stops there and I can't afford renewal right now.

Profile YIM 

Post subject: Re: Winstep Xtreme Release
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:15 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Check your e-mail. :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:36 pm 

winstep wrote:

Why not comment here also? I am considering buying but it appears no updates for 2 years and I only get updates for 1 year with a new license. That's bad math.
So people who registered one year ago never got an update?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:05 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

TheBlasterMaster wrote:
winstep wrote:

Why not comment here also? I am considering buying but it appears no updates for 2 years and I only get updates for 1 year with a new license. That's bad math.

To start with, two recommendations to keep you out of trouble here. One, adopt a less aggressive tone in your posts. And two, read the following very carefully and abide by that : viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11961 , and viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11982 . We try to keep this a friendly and easy going place.

And now to the meat. You obviously are getting completely the wrong end of the stick and doing the maths (there's no such thing as 'math' BTW) wrong. A bit more careful reading of the relevant texts on the website would have told you that you get one year's free updates - which in any event are a free bonus, not an automatic entitlement - from the date that you register, not the date of the current release. Understood now? :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:33 pm 

nexter wrote:
TheBlasterMaster wrote:
winstep wrote:

To start with, two recommendations to keep you out of trouble here. One, adopt a less aggressive tone in your posts. And two, read the following very carefully and abide by that : viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11961 , and viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11982 . We try to keep this a friendly and easy going place.

And now to the meat. You obviously are getting completely the wrong end of the stick and doing the maths (there's no such thing as 'math' BTW) wrong. A bit more careful reading of the relevant texts on the website would have told you that you get one year's free updates - which in any event are a free bonus, not an automatic entitlement - from the date that you register, not the date of the current release. Understood now? :)

Please excuse my directness. That's just me by nature. I understand you get 1 year of updates from when you register. My question is if I registered 1 year ago from today, I got no updates for that period, correct?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:44 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

TheBlasterMaster wrote:
Please excuse my directness. That's just me by nature. I understand you get 1 year of updates from when you register. My question is if I registered 1 year ago from today, I got no updates for that period, correct?

In theory, yes. However, if you'd read the post I referred to in my other reply - i.e., https://forums.winstep.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11871 , yesterday's post by 'Winstep'/Jorge Coelho, currently the penultimate post in that thread - you'd have found a rather kind offer for those users there. :D

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

TheBlasterMaster wrote:
Why not comment here also?

Not that it's any of your business, but because I know Jim (PeterDudeJim) for over a decade I decided to email him a little gift. Satisfied? :D

TheBlasterMaster wrote:

As Nexter explained the one year of free updates is not a God given right, but a **bonus**. Winstep is under NO OBLIGATION to make any updates during that year and that is EXACTLY how it should be.

When you decide to purchase you make that decision based on what is already there (and you are already benefiting from YEARS of cumulative upgrades), NOT on what might be coming (especially because you normally won't even know what that might be).

This said, usually you get one, two and sometimes even more updates in a given year (which is a lot more than users bargained for, see News Archive HERE) - however sometimes things might also slow down or even grind to a halt for a while.

I've actually got a new update that brings full compatibility with Windows 11 nearly ready for release and, although I am under no obligation to do so, this will be a free update for all those who purchased v20.10 back in October 2020 (or have renewed their upgrade subscription since then).

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]