Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Changing shortcut icon in grid stack
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:13 am 

Hi all, hoping someone can give me some advice on grid stack functionality; specifically the ability to change icons for items inside a grid stack folder.

I've created a stack that points to my game library, which correctly shows approx. 20 games with the icons that match their respective exe files. The issue is that I've created custom monochrome minimalist icons for my dock (which can be replaced without issue) and would like to reflect the same style within the grid stack.

The option to change icons / target parameters doesn't seem to exist in stacks because they point to folders, and changing the shortcut icon has no effect either (the grid stack uses the original exe as a reference for the icon).

Is there anything I can do to display custom icons within a grid stack of a game library / folder? Aware that this is such a minor issue, however I appreciate the help if anyone can provide it.

Post subject: Re: Changing shortcut icon in grid stack
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As you discovered, items in Grid Stacks that point to folders cannot have their icons changed, as in this case the Grid Stack acts as a simple "window" into the folder itself.

But do note that Grid Stacks have more than one type, you can, for instance, create a Grid Stack of a 'Regular' type and the drag & drop all the icons in that folder into the Grid Stack (in that case those icons will become internal "shortcuts", just like in dock). These will make those icons configurable, but that Grid Stack will not automatically update its contents as you make changes to the original folder.

Something you pointed out, however, doesn't seem right and I will have to look into it (as I don't remember if there is a good reason for that or not): the fact that changing the icon in a shortcut does not change the icon in the Grid Stack.

This said, the Grid Stack might be caching the original icons... have you already tried restarting the Winstep application to see if that is the case?

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Changing shortcut icon in grid stack
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:41 am 

Thank you for the quick reply. I haven't tried restarting the dock yet, however it's something I'll check once I'm back on the desktop tomorrow morning. I did change the stack target to a different folder and back again in the hopes that this would refresh the icons, however it didn't seem to do the trick (may not have given it enough time on my end).

The 'regular' type grid stack looks like it's the ideal solution for what I need for now, so I'll give that a go when I can and see how it fares.

Thanks again for the rapid and detailed response.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]