Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 31 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nexus Ultimate Shelf -- how to add apps
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

winstep wrote:
I REALLY wanted to give the new PCI 5.0/DDR5 generation some time (like a year or two) to stabilize before making the jump (especially DDR5 speeds and prices).

As I'm sure you noticed with Windows 11, early adopters always face the brunt of the problems. Not to mention how freakin expensive EVERYTHING is at this point because of shortages and the pandemic (and that is assuming you can actually find what you want).

See, I knew was right about that early adopter thing.

WARNING WARNING WARNING to anyone thinking of buying a Z690 based system now: whatever you do, stick to only TWO sticks of RAM (pun intended). At least for the time being.

From what I have been reading, two sticks of DDR5 will work at the advertised speed without any problems (e.g. DDR5 5600, 6000, etc). As soon as you use four sticks, however, it's blue screen and crash town, EVEN if each pair works perfectly fine on its own.

This seems to be a limitation of the memory controller in the new Alder Lake Intel CPUs, the Z690 motherboards, or perhaps both. The fact is that with four sticks of DDR5 RAM you seem to be limited to 4,000 MT/s. So, you either use only two sticks or you have to reduce your RAM speed to 4,000 MT/s.

Since it's nearly impossible to find 64GB kits of DDR5 (2x32) at this time, it looks that for now I will have to live with "only" 32GB of RAM, instead of the 64GB of DDR4 I have on my current system.

Corsair seems to be one of the few vendors that sells a 64GB 32x2 kit of DDR5 RAM (Dominator Platinum), but I can't find that particular kit anywhere here in the EU.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:35 am 

Let me know if you find it in the US (probably even less likely than in the EU), but pandemic permitting, I plan on being in France 6 weeks from now. Maybe I can mail it to you from Paris.

JH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

jmhine wrote:
Let me know if you find it in the US (probably even less likely than in the EU), but pandemic permitting, I plan on being in France 6 weeks from now. Maybe I can mail it to you from Paris.

THIS are the memories in question. I couldn't find them in Amazon.com either - perhaps they are not being sold yet, are out of stock everywhere (more likely) OR maybe Corsair also ran into problems with it (dual rank memories also have issues and they don't specify if this kit is single or dual rank).

Either way, many thanks for the offer. :D

Time is also of the essence here, the sooner I have a working Windows 11 system here, the sooner I can look - and hopefully fix, I'm pretty confident - the issues with that version of Windows.

Let's see what my usual hardware supplier can come up with - he has been know before to work some miracles.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, good news, should have the new Windows 11 system next week. My supplier already has all the components EXCEPT the DDR5 memory that I want, but he is willing to lend me a couple of DDR5 sticks until those I ordered become available.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:18 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Ok, good news, should have the new Windows 11 system next week. My supplier already has all the components EXCEPT the DDR5 memory that I want, but he is willing to lend me a couple of DDR5 sticks until those I ordered become available.

Especially given the hardware issues you've already pointed out (let alone the Win 11 issues yet to surface!), do you really think it's wise to go with a new system at this point Jorge? Wouldn't it be better to wait for Oracle to come up with the 'goods' to run Win 11 in a VM? Granted, these are irritating little problems for Win 11 users, but surely that's not urgent enough to justify spending a whole heap of cash on hardware that could potentially give you hassles for a long time to come. And surely Win 11 early adopters should be able to live with this a bit and wait. Just my £2's worth. ;)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:05 am 

Please look as this to be an opportunity to teach an ignorant and not as an opportunity to tell someone how stupid they are.

So my question is, if you are running Windows as a VM, what is your base OS? And what software do you use to make virtual machines. What kind of hit do you take on performance ? Does it mean that you have to pay for two OS's ?

Thanks
JH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Especially given the hardware issues you've already pointed out (let alone the Win 11 issues yet to surface!), do you really think it's wise to go with a new system at this point Jorge? Wouldn't it be better to wait for Oracle to come up with the 'goods' to run Win 11 in a VM?

I've been waiting for a VERY long time, and Oracle has been shuffling its feet. Windows 11 usage base is already at 10%.

Plus, there is a HUGE difference between occasionally running something on a VM and actually running the real thing 24/7. I see this as a business investment.

jmhine wrote:
So my question is, if you are running Windows as a VM, what is your base OS? And what software do you use to make virtual machines. What kind of hit do you take on performance ? Does it mean that you have to pay for two OS's ?

My base OS is Windows 10 Pro. At this point I have two Windows 10 VMs (which I can use to test stuff without compromising my production system) but they were initially setup when I was still running Windows 7 on another system, and then migrated to the new system.

I use Oracle's VirtualBox, which is free. I don't care about performance hits because I only use the VMs to test stuff, but since hardware is virtualized in VBOX I assume that there is - and yes, you need license keys even for Windows versions running inside a VM.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:36 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
Especially given the hardware issues you've already pointed out (let alone the Win 11 issues yet to surface!), do you really think it's wise to go with a new system at this point Jorge? Wouldn't it be better to wait for Oracle to come up with the 'goods' to run Win 11 in a VM?

I've been waiting for a VERY long time, and Oracle has been shuffling its feet. Windows 11 usage base is already at 10%.

Plus, there is a HUGE difference between occasionally running something on a VM and actually running the real thing 24/7. I see this as a business investment.

As long as that measly 10% can recover the initial cost within a year to 18 months, I'd probably think it reasonable. :) Reminds me of a situation a few decades ago where I decided to buy a piece of equipment costing nearly £1,500 for one impending job of 2-3 days when that was an awful lot more than now (i.e., ~£9,000!) and when my daily rate was £700 + expenses. Paid for itself with that one job. 8)

As for the difference between running in a VM and running on hardware, a lot depends not only on the hardware but also on the OS to be run, the VM software, and other factors. Two examples here. I'd been running Windows 10 Pro and Hyper V on my i7 laptop with a VM running Ubuntu Linux for several years, giving the VM 2 of the 4 cores and 6 GB of 16 RAM. Ran like a dream, and didn't need all those resources so adjusted them to 1 core (i.e., 2 threads) and 5 GB. Probably set that VM up again once the rest of Win is fully sorted, on the i5. Then, on my Ryzen 7 8 core, ran Win 10 in a VM under Ubuntu (main base OS) and VB for a while, with 4 cores and 8 GB RAM of 64. Was perfectly workable, but in the end got rid of it as didn't really need Windblows on that machine anymore. :)

winstep wrote:
I use Oracle's VirtualBox, which is free. I don't care about performance hits because I only use the VMs to test stuff, but since hardware is virtualized in VBOX I assume that there is - and yes, you need license keys even for Windows versions running inside a VM.

Well, can't really say I noticed much of a performance hit here, as per the examples above. It must have been very small only. But, with an almost infinite variety of factors involved, there can't be any hard and fast rules about how things will run, I guess....

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, my hardware dealer already has everything I needed, they will be putting it together today or tomorrow. With a bit of luck I'll be able to bring the new system home tomorrow too and will begin working on it myself.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

And it's here! :D

Weekend will be spent migrating the development environment and eventually switching some hardware around.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

jmhine wrote:
How do I add apps to the shelf??? The FAQ doesn't address this.Dragging and dropping doesn't work.

PuterDudeJim wrote:
Do you mean Windows Apps? I can't add those either. Windows 11. That shelf section is empty.

winstep wrote:
Ok, so it seems there are two known issues so far with Winstep in Windows 11:

1. Missing system icons in the systray (Wifi, Battery, Volume).
2. Incompatibility with UWP apps.

Ok, hold on. I just tested #2 in my brand new Windows 11 machine and I had no trouble dragging a UWP app from the *Windows* Start Menu into the dock.

Everything else seems to be working correctly with UWP apps as well, EXCEPT the Apps tab in the Shelf and the Apps sub-menu in NextSTART (which normally would display all the available apps on your PC but now appears blank).

But other than that you can drag & drop UWP apps into the Winstep application under Windows 11, launch them from there, etc

So, what's up with this?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The new Windows 11 system is already bearing fruits! :D

Fixed the REAL problem with Winstep and UWP apps on Windows 11, which was the Apps menu in NextSTART and the Apps Shelf tab in WorkShelf/Nexus Ultimate appearing blank.

Now on to tackle the missing system systray icons.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:01 am 

winstep wrote:

What bothers me is that my current production PC is still pretty much top of the line despite part of it being already (only?) 3 years old (Intel i9 9900K, 64GB DDR4 RAM, Intel Optane 905P NVMe PCIe drive, RTX 3090, 2 x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, ROG THOR 1200W PSU, etc.

Jorge, that CPU is supported for Windows 11.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... processors

Profile YIM 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:05 am 

I'm always late....

Profile YIM 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:26 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PuterDudeJim wrote:
I'm always late....

Welcome to the club, Jim. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 31 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next