Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 31 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Nexus Ultimate Shelf -- how to add apps
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:52 pm 

I just purchased the Nexus Ultimate 20.10, but I'm stuck. How do I add apps to the shelf??? The FAQ doesn't address this.
Dragging and dropping doesn't work.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Nexus Ultimate Shelf -- how to add apps
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:14 am 

Do you mean Windows Apps? I can't add those either. Windows 11. That shelf section is empty.

Profile YIM 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:09 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Uh-oh. Really? That is news to me.

MS broke compatibility with Winstep and UWP apps on Windows 11?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:12 am 

I'm using Nexus Extreme on Win 11 and no problems with using it so far. You have to take time and explore Nexus Ultimate's different features. See what all it does, especially the Shelf. I have my software programs on the shelf. I use both Windows-based software and open-source software. I don't use the Windows apps themselves.

There are still features I'm puzzling over and want to explore further to figure them out. After that, the FAQs and the forum search option are my next step for information/help, and then if I'm truly stuck then I'll send out an SOS to other members. It's easier for them to help if I can be explicit in what I've tried, what's worked, what hasn't worked, etc. That way we don't play 20 Questions while everyone tries to figure out what I do and don't need help with.

It really is worth the time to explore Extreme and see the width and depth of the software. I am awed at just how detailed it is and how Jorge has built on it over time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:18 am 

Jorge, since I don't have a problem with my programs on the Shelf, could that be because I use Extreme and not Ultimate? I didn't think it would make a difference, but you never know unless you ask :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:47 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

drjolie wrote:
I'm using Nexus Extreme on Win 11 and no problems with using it so far. You have to take time and explore Nexus Ultimate's different features. See what all it does, especially the Shelf. I have my software programs on the shelf. I use both Windows-based software and open-source software. I don't use the Windows apps themselves.

There are still features I'm puzzling over and want to explore further to figure them out. After that, the FAQs and the forum search option are my next step for information/help, and then if I'm truly stuck then I'll send out an SOS to other members. It's easier for them to help if I can be explicit in what I've tried, what's worked, what hasn't worked, etc. That way we don't play 20 Questions while everyone tries to figure out what I do and don't need help with.

It really is worth the time to explore Extreme and see the width and depth of the software. I am awed at just how detailed it is and how Jorge has built on it over time.

Small correction - it's Winstep Xtreme, not NeXus Xtreme, and NeXus Ultimate. :)

A very laudable approach to problem solving, I wish more folks would follow the same process. Don't forget though, when posting a query, to give as much detail as possible such as OS and version, and which Winstep app and version, where appropriate. It all helps avoid anyone trying to help having to ask supplementary questions.

As for your other post, I very much doubt that in that particular case Winstep Xtreme v. Nexus Ultimate would make any difference at all. The major difference betwixt the two is that Xtreme adds a whole lot more functionality, e.g., desktop modules, custom menus, and the NextSTART taskbar to replace the Windows taskbar. I'm sure Jorge would tell you pretty much the same. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

drjolie wrote:
Jorge, since I don't have a problem with my programs on the Shelf, could that be because I use Extreme and not Ultimate?

No.

This seems to be an issue with UWP apps, not Win32 applications.

Does your Shelf have a tab titled "Apps"? If it does, it should show a list of all available UWP Apps in your system (like Calculator, Camera, Calendar, etc). Since you are on Windows 11, can you please click on it and see if it's empty or if it otherwise works as intended?

Anyone else running Windows 11, please feel free to chime in!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:09 am 

I am using Winstep Nexus Ultimate vers 20.10 and Windows 11 Pro version 10.0.22000 Build 22000.

My Shelf does have an Apps section and it is completely empty.

I haven't explored all of the features of the Dock, but it seems to be working great.

(Microsoft could learn a few things by studying this app.)

Thank you
JH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm getting really frustrated with Microsoft and their idiotic requirements.

Unfortunately the only other physical PC I have here has an Intel i7 3770K on a ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe motherboard. It's 2012 hardware, neither the CPU nor the motherboard support TPM 2.0 so I cannot install Windows 11 in that system.

My current PC has an Intel i9 9900K on a ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula motherboard, so it is eligible to install Windows 11, but being a production system I cannot risk running into problems installing an OS version that I still consider a beta.

At this point getting a new system with an i9 12900K and DDR5 RAM is pretty much out of the question too, given how hard it is to find components now, how expensive they are IF you can find them, and how we are still transitioning to a new generation (DDR5, PCIe 5.0) - I rather wait a couple of years for everything to stabilize before spending a ton of money again on a new PC.

The only remaining solution is to install Windows 11 on a VM (Virtual Machine) but Oracle's VirtualBox, after all this time, STILL isn't compatible with Windows 11 as a Guest OS because of the TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot requirements (yes, there were hacks to bypass this limitation but apparently they don't work anymore). Oracle claims the upcoming version 7.0 of VirtualBox solves the issue, but it hasn't been officially released yet and I have no idea when it will be. Hopefully soon.

Until then we will have to live with this limitations on Windows 11, sorry. It's the drawbacks of living on the edge.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:46 pm 

I think we should setup a GoFundMe account so that Jorge Coelho can buy a new Win11 PC.

JH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:51 pm 

winstep wrote:
Uh-oh. Really? That is news to me.

MS broke compatibility with Winstep and UWP apps on Windows 11?

I may have gotten off track. I meant the workshelf. Apps drawer/shelf is blank.

Profile YIM 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:54 pm 

winstep wrote:
drjolie wrote:
Jorge, since I don't have a problem with my programs on the Shelf, could that be because I use Extreme and not Ultimate?

No.

This seems to be an issue with UWP apps, not Win32 applications.

Does your Shelf have a tab titled "Apps"? If it does, it should show a list of all available UWP Apps in your system (like Calculator, Camera, Calendar, etc). Since you are on Windows 11, can you please click on it and see if it's empty or if it otherwise works as intended?

Anyone else running Windows 11, please feel free to chime in!

My apps tab is blank.

Profile YIM 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, so it seems there are two known issues so far with Winstep in Windows 11:

1. Missing system icons in the systray (Wifi, Battery, Volume).
2. Incompatibility with UWP apps.

jmhine wrote:
I think we should setup a GoFundMe account so that Jorge Coelho can buy a new Win11 PC.

Ahah. Money is not exactly the problem since this is (also) an investment in my work.

What bothers me is that my current production PC is still pretty much top of the line despite part of it being already (only?) 3 years old (Intel i9 9900K, 64GB DDR4 RAM, Intel Optane 905P NVMe PCIe drive, RTX 3090, 2 x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, ROG THOR 1200W PSU, etc.

I REALLY wanted to give the new PCI 5.0/DDR5 generation some time (like a year or two) to stabilize before making the jump (especially DDR5 speeds and prices).

As I'm sure you noticed with Windows 11, early adopters always face the brunt of the problems. Not to mention how freakin expensive EVERYTHING is at this point because of shortages and the pandemic (and that is assuming you can actually find what you want).

Anyway, I have been researching this. If I take the plunge I think I would go with

Asus Z690 Extreme motherboard*
Intel i9-12900K
ASUS ROG Ryujin II 360 AIO**
Dominator Platinum RGB 64GB (2x32GB) DDR5 5200MHz C38
Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB Gen4
ROG Helius PC case

* Yeah, I know, but if I am doing this, I might as well do it in style :P
** First time I would be using an AIO

The rest of the stuff needed to make a system I have here (PSU, keyboards, GPU, etc). I would then leave the 905P Optane in my current system (the Gen4 Firecuda is fast enough to make up for it) and move the RTX 3090, the two 970 2TB EVOs (I can live with the EVOs being Gen3 since they only store games) and the ROG THOR 1200W PSU to the new system.

Luckily I already have a Seasonic 850W Titanium PSU here that I could install in the old system (and the cables are compatible since the ROG THOR is actually a Seasonic OEM, which makes switching PSU's a LOT easier). I never got rid of my previous RTX 2080 TI either, which I also have here in storage, so I could use that as the GPU for my old system, which would then share my secondary 4K monitor with the new PC (switch between one and the other).

This way I would have two physical systems, one with Windows 10 and the new PC with Windows 11. I could then migrate my development environment to the new Windows 11 PC, while keeping the previous PC as a "backup" in case something goes wrong (and also to verify back compatibility with Windows 10 on any new features). With that done I could then look at all the Windows 11 issues with Winstep software and fix them ASAP.

Finding the space for BOTH systems would be a PITA, though. It's also a heavy investment, above 3,000 Euros for sure, and that is assuming I can find 64GB of DDR5 sticks at this point in time (the rest I already verified availability).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:35 pm 

My machine Microsoft says its not able to upgade to win 11,CPU a very short Vist to you tube shows dozens of simple ways of by passing the checks, and you can then upgrade to win ll, using your win 10 disk, and you still get updates, (I had one this morning)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

divingbrit wrote:
a very short Vist to you tube shows dozens of simple ways of by passing the checks, and you can then upgrade to win ll, using your win 10 disk, and you still get updates, (I had one this morning)

Yeah, I am aware of those bypasses, but MS isn't stupid either. You do this at your own risk, personally I can't risk having a production system compromised.

By enforcing these requirements MS is making sure that about 60% of Windows users are unable to update to Windows 11 even if they wanted to. Pretty sure they know this too, but that still didn't stop them.

Anyway, I already set the wheels in motion to get the new system.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 31 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next