Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 14 posts ]
 Post subject: "Element not found" for any Windows Store item in NexusDock
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:38 pm 

So, basically I have this issue where no Microsoft Store item will work when put in Nexus Dock & will says to me; "Element not Found". Anything from the Microsoft Store won't work, but will work back if I put it back on the desktop. Game will works (like Sea Of Thieves), but not apps.

Post subject: Re: "Element not found" for any Windows Store item in NexusD
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

1. What version of Windows?

2. **Exact** ***steps*** to reproduce, please?

3. WHEN does it say element not found? When you drop the item? When you try to launch it? Was it always like this?

See, the devil is ALWAYS in the details.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:14 pm 

winstep wrote:
1. What version of Windows?

2. **Exact** ***steps*** to reproduce, please?

3. WHEN does it say element not found? When you drop the item? When you try to launch it? Was it always like this?

See, the devil is ALWAYS in the details.

1.Version; Windows 11.

2&3. Just dropping a shortcut of a Microsoft Store item on the dock and trying to start it. I can drop it on the dock no issue, but "element not found" appears when I try to start the app from within the dock. If I remove it & drop it back again on the desktop & start it, then it works.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Those are not EXACT steps to reproduce lol Neither exact, nor steps. :P

Does this also happen with the local UWP apps (for instance, the Calculator or Weather Apps)?

Also, not clear about that last part. If you drop them into the desktop and then back into the dock from then on it works, or from the dock it never works but it does from the desktop?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:02 pm 

I mean, I'm not explaining quantum physics just there; UWP apps are not working and when I try to launch them from within the dock I get a popup saying; "Element not found" :P They don't work in the dock, but they work if I drag them back on my Desktop. So; they NEVER work in the dock.

But, yes, any UWP app, even the calculator won't work in the dock.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Saoghal wrote:
I mean, I'm not explaining quantum physics just there

Oh no, you didn't just do this lol :D I'm not going to get upset, instead I am going to broaden your horizons by making you read "The art of reporting bugs" article right here on this forum.

Come back and let me know once you've read it from top to bottom, so I can continue trying to help you (but this time with your new found appreciation - and patience - for the work we are trying to do here). :P

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:13 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Jorge, you forgot to add, the devil's in the detail - detail, detail, detail! ;)

I really wish people would keep that in mind here - seems to work on some boards I know. Saves having to ask so many avoidable supplementary questions, not to say aggro. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:42 pm 

Take Rufus, everyone mostly know of Rufus around here I wager. Here's the Microsoft store version of the app;

When I start it, from wherever it is located on my pc, no issue; Rufus MS Store app will run properly.

Now, here's a shortcut on my Desktop, still no issue at all & it run properly; Image

But, if I drop that same shortcut it on the dock, first it'll look like this all weird, as a white page; Image

Then, if I try to click the rufus link on the dock, it'll do this, the app won't start and this issue will be exactly the same with every MS Store shortcut put in Nexus Ultimate 100% of the time; Image

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the screenshots and the more detailed description, that actually helps. The icon being blank on the dock is an immediate red flag that something is wrong.

I have no idea about Rufus, but I'll try it here and let you know if that is specific to your system. Does the same thing happen with any of the non-MS Store (i.e. built in) UWP apps (like Weather, Calculator, etc) ?

Also, what version of Nexus are you running (Preferences -> top right corner of About tab). And what version of Windows?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:47 pm 

winstep wrote:
[...]Does the same thing happen with any of the non-MS Store (i.e. built in) UWP apps (like Weather, Calculator, etc) ?

Also, what version of Nexus are you running (Preferences -> top right corner of About tab). And what version of Windows?

I have a Realtek chipset with my PC motherboard (B450 Tomahawk Max) and the app (Realtek Audio Console) to manage the audio setting is by default a UWP Microsoft Store app and the results are exactly the same. I have the HP Smart UWP app for my printer/scanner and the results are exactly the same. I did tried it with other built-in UWP app like the calculator & etc and the results are too exactly the same.

I'm using version 20.10 of Nexus & I am on Windows 11 (mainline-21H2(22000.556)).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Saoghal wrote:
I did tried it with other built-in UWP app like the calculator & etc and the results are too exactly the same.

See, that's where that tells me this might be something specific to your system. I'm also running Windows 11 at this point (same build as yours) and I have no problem dragging & dropping and/or launching the built-in UWP apps from the dock (Calculator, Camera, etc).

Can you please make a backup of your Nexus settings (Preferences -> Advanced tab) WITH one or more non-working UWP apps in it and attach it to a message here so I can have a look at it? You might have to convert it to zip first.

If you are not comfortable with that send it to the Winstep support address but please notify me here once you've done it.

Also, can you please right click on the non-functional UWP app in the dock, select Dock Entry Properties and post a screenshot of the Properties dialog for that item?

Thanks,

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:15 pm 

So, there's that and I've sent the backup file via the support email and I've put my account name on the email so you know it's from me (Saoghal).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks, you provided, please allow me some time to look further into this.

However, I am convinced this is an issue specific to your PC, as you might have noticed nobody else is complaining.

Do you have a spare PC (or a friend's PC) you can install Nexus into to see if you can reproduce this same behavior there? It would be useful information if you can, and, if not, it would help you realize that this is indeed specific to your PC - thus triggering a witch hunt for the culprit :D ).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:55 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Or even a Virtual Machine on his existing PC.

This article should help you get started with virtual machines. (It's not as scary as it might sound and can be pretty useful.)

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/create ... indows-11/

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 14 posts ]