Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 13 posts ]
 Post subject: Minimizing maximized window when Nexus hides
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:42 pm 

Hello,
I'm using Nexus with "always below windows" and "bring dock forward when the mouse pointer bumps screen edge" enabled. Except one issue, it works great. So the issue is:
If I maximize a minimized window and SIMULTANEOUSLY activate dock it will hide/minimize with nexus, so I have to be very careful when clicking on any minimized window/app/game, because if I accidentally activate nexus dock it will collapse this window/app/game when hiding, the moment I move my mouse. I'll try to make some pictures.
Does anyone know how to fix that?

Attachments:
exx.jpg
exx.jpg [ 899.85 KiB | Viewed 9231 times ]

Post subject: Re: Minimizing maximized window when Nexus hides
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Accidental dock activations have always been a problem due to the very nature of auto-hiding docks and the screen bump activation method (you aim for an icon on the taskbar but overshoot and touch the screen edge, which activates the dock), but there are several mechanisms built-in to help alleviate this issue. You can:

1. Dock to the top or sides of the screen so it is not on the same screen edge as the taskbar.

2. Increase activation delays (Preferences -> Behavior tab -> Activation Settings -> Edge Bump Settings).

3. Change the screen method from a bump into a slide (you horizontally slide the dock ALONG the screen edge to activate the dock) - that too has user configurable settings in Edge Swipe Settings.

Unfortunately whatever you choose will have to be, as most things in life, a compromise. The real problem here is not Nexus but YOU, when you overshoot the icon in the taskbar and end up accidentally bumping the bottom screen edge (but don't feel bad, we ALL do that eheh)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:39 pm 

winstep wrote:
Accidental dock activations have always been a problem due to the very nature of auto-hiding docks and the screen bump activation method (you aim for an icon on the taskbar but overshoot and touch the screen edge, which activates the dock), but there are several mechanisms built-in to help alleviate this issue. You can:

1. Dock to the top or sides of the screen so it is not on the same screen edge as the taskbar.

2. Increase activation delays (Preferences -> Behavior tab -> Activation Settings -> Edge Bump Settings).

3. Change the screen method from a bump into a slide (you horizontally slide the dock ALONG the screen edge to activate the dock) - that too has user configurable settings in Edge Swipe Settings.

Unfortunately whatever you choose will have to be, as most things in life, a compromise. The real problem here is not Nexus but YOU, when you overshoot the icon in the taskbar and end up accidentally bumping the bottom screen edge (but don't feel bad, we ALL do that eheh)

Wow, it feels like I'm seeing a doctor for a pain when I'm walking and his advice it to just stop walking xD
So you're telling me that it's an actual, planned feature of Nexus, or that you don't know how to fix it? :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:55 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Ssinssrigg wrote:
Wow, it feels like I'm seeing a doctor for a pain when I'm walking and his advice it to just stop walking xD
So you're telling me that it's an actual, planned feature of Nexus, or that you don't know how to fix it? :wink:

Which part of "The real problem here is not Nexus but YOU...." do you not understand?! It's simply a matter of the way that GUIs work - there is no way to compensate for what are essentially user errors - OSes are basically 'stupid' and have no idea what a user's intentions are when they goof. However, in this particular case, Winstep apps offer at least a few work-arounds as listed by Jorge.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:12 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ssinssrigg wrote:

A more appropriate comparison is you going to the doctor complaining that your head hurts when you accidentally bump it into a brick wall while walking. His sensible reply might be along the lines of 'well, be more careful then'.

See, the pain is not the problem, you bumping your head into a brick wall is. :D

Ssinssrigg wrote:

As Nexter said, the planned feature is Nexus reacting to a screen bump as intended. Are you really trying to blame a software application for being unable to GUESS that you did something by accident and not on purpose? :P

It has no way of knowing that you are 'simultaneously' maximizing a minimized window while activating the dock with an edge bump - what to you appears as 'simultaneous' in processor/computing terms is CENTURIES apart.

As I stated in my previous post, there are several mitigations and work-arounds to what is an inherent issue of having two toolbars docked to the same edge (in this case the Windows taskbar and the dock).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:05 pm 

Ehhh...
I'm not quite sure if you guys understood what I'm asking about.
My problem is NOT that Nexus is accidentally activated when I try to maximize something. I'm fully aware of how I set up the program and how to change it. That would be a really stupid question if it would be just blaming software that I'm accidentally activating a dock.
My problem is that it's MINIMIZING OTHER APPLICATION WHEN HIDING. My question is not "how can I avoid accidental activation of the dock" but "can I prevent the dock from minimizing other window when hiding". I like Nexus the most, but other docks doesn't have that issue as far as I remember. Hopefully it's clear enough now, sorry if it wasn't before.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:17 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Ssinssrigg wrote:
Ehhh...
My problem is NOT that Nexus is accidentally activated when I try to maximize something. I'm fully aware of how I set up the program and how to change it. That would be a really stupid question if it would be just blaming software that I'm accidentally activating a dock.
My problem is that it's MINIMIZING OTHER APPLICATION WHEN HIDING. My question is not "how can I avoid accidental activation of the dock" but "can I prevent the dock from minimizing other window when hiding". I like Nexus the most, but other docks doesn't have that issue as far as I remember. Hopefully it's clear enough now, sorry if it wasn't before.

OK, to begin with, it might help if a) you could state what version of Windows you're using, and what version of Nexus Free or Ultimate, and b), if you could make a step-by-step list of what you are doing and trying to achieve.

Also, you are using incorrect terminology - e.g., it is plain to see that the 'Steam' window was not 'maximised' but rather, 'restored'. The maximised window is beneath it, i.e., your browser. And 'Full Screen' is decidedly not the same as 'maximised'.

I completely fail to understand just why you would want to un-hide your dock *and simultaneously* launch/restore/maximise an app/window. It really doesn't make any sense, nor can it even be achieved - it only can be achieved sequentially, in my experience.

As for the 'Steam' window being minimised when the dock hides, that is not a behaviour I've personally seen. It seems to me that there's something very screwy going on.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:19 pm 

nexter wrote:
Ssinssrigg wrote:
Ehhh...

OK, to begin with, it might help if a) you could state what version of Windows you're using, and what version of Nexus Free or Ultimate, and b), if you could make a step-by-step list of what you are doing and trying to achieve.

Also, you are using incorrect terminology - e.g., it is plain to see that the 'Steam' window was not 'maximised' but rather, 'restored'. The maximised window is beneath it, i.e., your browser. And 'Full Screen' is decidedly not the same as 'maximised'.

I completely fail to understand just why you would want to un-hide your dock *and simultaneously* launch/restore/maximise an app/window. It really doesn't make any sense, nor can it even be achieved - it only can be achieved sequentially, in my experience.

As for the 'Steam' window being minimised when the dock hides, that is not a behaviour I've personally seen. It seems to me that there's something very screwy going on.

Sorry for a bad terminology. I'm using Windows 11 Home; so far free version of Nexus. I'm just having difficulties with being more clear, I provided photos with description on them (written in red; have you noticed these?) that should explain step-by-step what I'm doing. Ehhh... I don't want to un-hide the dock and restore a window. I'm un-hiding it by accident, but that is not an issue. Accidental activating a dock wouldn't bother me if dock wouldn't minimize any window I restore while dock is un-hided. As I mentioned before, it minimizes any restored window, even it's a video game that goes to full screen. As a result, that game goes full-screen for a second and the exact moment when dock is hiding it minimizes it.
Please don't feel like I'm upset or something; I appreciate any help.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh! NOW I got it. :D

I think I know what it MIGHT be:

I've seen this very weird similar behavior with Windows 11 here too, where windows would apparently restore and minimize themselves on their own accord.

I THINK it has something to do with the new Windows 11 ability to minimize windows when a monitor is disconnected going haywire. Here is how I solved it, give it a try and see if it works there too, then let me know:

1. Right click on the Windows desktop and select Display Settings from the context menu.

2. In the Display settings dialog, under the Multiple displays category, uncheck 'Remember window location based on monitor connection' AND 'Minimize windows when a monitor is disconnected".

See if that solves the issue. I think it's the latter option that is the problem as I remember minimized window popping up on their own accord (and vice-versa) EVEN without a monitor being disconnected. Really crazy behavior.

I have both options disabled since I use MonitorKeeper on my Windows 11 multi-monitor system to remember the position of windows when a monitor is disconnected, but give disabling both a try first. If it solves the problem, try re-enabling the 'Remember window locations...' option afterwards to see if the issue comes back or stays gone.

Either way, please let me know.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:26 pm 

winstep wrote:
Oh! NOW I got it. :D

I think I know what it MIGHT be:

I've seen this very weird similar behavior with Windows 11 here too, where windows would apparently restore and minimize themselves on their own accord.

I THINK it has something to do with the new Windows 11 ability to minimize windows when a monitor is disconnected going haywire. Here is how I solved it, give it a try and see if it works there too, then let me know:

1. Right click on the Windows desktop and select Display Settings from the context menu.

2. In the Display settings dialog, under the Multiple displays category, uncheck 'Remember window location based on monitor connection' AND 'Minimize windows when a monitor is disconnected".

See if that solves the issue. I think it's the latter option that is the problem as I remember minimized window popping up on their own accord (and vice-versa) EVEN without a monitor being disconnected. Really crazy behavior.

I have both options disabled since I use MonitorKeeper on my Windows 11 multi-monitor system to remember the position of windows when a monitor is disconnected, but give disabling both a try first. If it solves the problem, try re-enabling the 'Remember window locations...' option afterwards to see if the issue comes back or stays gone.

Either way, please let me know.

Unfortunately, that didn't help, but I really appreciate your advice. You're right - it actually may be Win11 fault. I tried to uncheck both, restarted my computer (didn't work), then checked back 'Remember window(...)' and restarted computer. Either way, nothing changed. I'm using a laptop BTW, with one monitor :) I don't think we'll find any solution here, but thank you for trying, guys; if anyone has other ideas I'm ready to try something else. Meanwhile, I'll check if RocketDock will have the same issue.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah, pity! Thanks for letting me know anyway.

One more question though: does this only happen if the window in question is maximized but temporarily minimized to the taskbar and doesn't happen with non-maximized windows? If so, by "maximized" don't you really mean 'full screen'? Very different beasts.

If the issue only occurs with full screen windows (like the games you mentioned) it might be something else, in which case a beta I have been sitting on might help.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:47 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Ah, pity! Thanks for letting me know anyway.

One more question though: does this only happen if the window in question is maximized but temporarily minimized to the taskbar and doesn't happen with non-maximized windows? If so, by "maximized" don't you really mean 'full screen'? Very different beasts.

If the issue only occurs with full screen windows (like the games you mentioned) it might be something else, in which case a beta I have been sitting on might help.

Yes, 'maximised' and 'full screen' are very different beasts indeed! However, if you look at the image, the app in question, i.e. Steam, is *not* actually being maximised but just restored to a normal window. :)

And indeed, I'd been wondering if the OP was running Win 11 - and as he does, that explains a lot it would seem. :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:12 pm 

Hey guys, I solved it.
So, dock was auto hiding and minimizing any restored window when activated, but 'auto-hide' option was actually off. Enabling auto-hide fixed this issue.
Problem solved, thread can be closed :D

PS @WINSTEP — it was happening with any restored window, 'regular size', maximized or full screen.
PS 2 — RocketDock didn't have that issue, but it had other ones, so Nexus FTW.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 13 posts ]