Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 37 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after 20.10?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:18 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Dendrologist wrote:
"I must confess to finding it rather curious that Winstep users should be rather likely to be early adopters of Win 11 - a beta if ever there was one."

Hi! Does it mean I should consider getting my computer ready for Windows 11 and then switch operating systems as soon as possible?

Nope, and nope. :) Personally, I would consider Win 11 as still a beta in real terms for at least the next two years and I wouldn't even consider going anywhere near it. (That aside, I have no intention of ever going with Win 11 as I'm principally running Linux and - if I still need Windows at all, I'll just keep going with older version and totally offline.)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:38 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

seeker wrote:
nexter wrote:
Err.... Yeah, Whatsapp - I really should have extended that and said that people should be most strongly discouraged from using anything Google, Fakebook, Apple, Amazon, Ebay, MS (if they can), et al. Not pretty. ;) 8)
đ

best way to keep your computer secure is to never use internet, dont even connect to networks, better yet disable your wifi and ethernet cards, and all usb ports (floppy/cd/dvd drives too if you have them)

:) :lol: :wink: :P :mrgreen:

kidding aside, i know there are safer/more secure platforms around for everything, problem is, youd need to get all of your contacts to migrate to them too

Well, even if not more secure platforms (speak OSes), certainly more secure apps than those commonly used under Windblows, and more secure ways of using your PC. For a start, use a really secure VPN that respects your privacy, and stay away from the 'Big Tech' corps. There's absolutely no excuse for using, e.g., that con - speak spy - Chrome browser or any of its derivatives, or for that matter, anything google. There are perfectly good, secure and private web browsers available, such as TOR, Firefox and one or two others. There's secure, encrypted, private email, as well as messaging apps and the like. Yes, some of these things might involve having to twist a few people's arms to do the same, but personally, I've operated on the basis of 'if you don't like it, tough titties, write or phone on my landline instead or say goodbye.' And as I never, ever use so-called social media anyway, that was no problem either, nor do I ever buy from Bozo Bezos or that 'bay.

Come to think of it, I might even write a few articles on online security and privacy some place else here when I'm more able to and can find the time. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:50 pm 

nexter wrote:

Come to think of it, I might even write a few articles on online security and privacy some place else here when I'm more able to and can find the time. :)

why somewhere else? you could post it here, unless you would publish it somewhere for money?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:00 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

seeker wrote:
nexter wrote:

why somewhere else? you could post it here, unless you would publish it somewhere for money?

Sorry seeker, when I said 'some place else *here*', I meant in another more appropriate forum on this board. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:57 pm 

nexter wrote:
seeker wrote:
nexter wrote:

Sorry seeker, when I said 'some place else *here*', I meant in another more appropriate forum on this board. :)

oh, i somehow totally missed that *here* 8) (blind as a bat smiley, not the cool smiley)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:07 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

seeker wrote:
nexter wrote:
seeker wrote:

oh, i somehow totally missed that *here* 8) (blind as a bat smiley, not the cool smiley)

Well, it happens, seeker. :)

Now, back to business. ;) So, what's next after 20.10? :P

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

v22.4 :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:00 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
v22.4 :D

LOL! Or even 22.5? ;)

On a serious, on-topic note, looks like nobody's having any real problems with the new beta....

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 4:22 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Geez, how lame can things get! :( Doesn't anybody have to say anything in this thread? I'm sure there must be plenty to talk about.

We always seem to see plenty of 'guests' on the board, but rarely anybody actually logging in. We also keep seeing a good amount of new members signing up, mostly never to be seen again. One has to suspect that most of them are either spammers or spam bots - certainly the ones with spam in their profile and/or signature.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 4:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Means there's nothing wrong with the v22.4 beta, I guess. :D

Official v22.5 right around the corner, had to catch and fix a couple of other issues first. :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 4:47 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Means there's nothing wrong with the v22.4 beta, I guess. :D

Official v22.5 right around the corner, had to catch and fix a couple of other issues first. :D

Sure, if there was something wrong with the beta, there'd be no end of complaints and even bitching and moaning, no doubt. ;)

Great about the official 22.5 - had been wondering whether it might become 22.6. :P

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 1:28 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Ok, as just about everyone else seems to be too lame to give a hoot, I'll bite - so when can we expect to see this V22.5 official update, and what's going to be in it? :D

Only one week to go in May now.... No pressure though. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:31 am 

nexter wrote:
Ok, as just about everyone else seems to be too lame to give a hoot, I'll bite - so when can we expect to see this V22.5 official update, and what's going to be in it? :D

Only one week to go in May now.... No pressure though. 8)

And then it was June. ;-)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

vectornut wrote:

Hey! Be glad it's not December already :lol:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:23 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
vectornut wrote:

Hey! Be glad it's not December already :lol:

We are, we are! :D All the same, we eagerly await 22.12? ;) :P

Anyway, what *is* next? 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 37 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next