Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 19 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Is there a way to show the simple windows tray clock?
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 3:55 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Well, Jorge, you're pretty damn consistent in defending that - IMO - indefensible old icon clock module, I have to say. And you seem pretty near convinced that people want freeform skinning for iconified mods. which nobody has ever even talked about. As for assuming that most people would be perfectly happy with the default - well, most people - as we know from experience - can't even be arsed to express any kind of opinion. Ever. So you're on dangerous ground there. ;)

What we're really talking about here is, essentially, a better, clearer, more legible and modern *font* instead of that ghastly, dated, illegible LED matrix font. Face up to it Jorge, it's ugly as crap and very hard to make out just what it says! A clock is a means of conveying information. That font does not do it well enough at all, and that equally dated and ugly Mac-style highlight reflection doesn't help either. But, if you like that old default look, by all means stick with it - just give us a decent, clearly legible font and a better arrangement of the data so that we can have the alternative clock the way we want it, i.e., relaying clear information content. That's all. Simple enough. Nobody's asking for more. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 2:40 pm 

winstep wrote:
flep wrote:
Quite honestly I just discovered this app so I'm not sure what's the history here, but I can't quite understand why such a basic and functional thing like a clock is so much neglected on this app and any suggestions to it is basically ignored.

Neglected?! You have two clock styles (analog and digital) PLUS a third optional style for those who do not like the original date + time digital style, and you can even customize the background of each of those styles with your own image (and I am not even mentioning here the FUNCTIONAL part of the clock module).

And all this for an ***ICON*** in the dock! We're not even talking about desktop modules which - those yes - were intended to be free form skinnable from the very beginning, icons in a dock are not skinnable and were never intended to be - the fact that there are customization options for **iconic** modules is already a huge bonus.

Yet, you call it "much neglected"... ok, you're entitled to your opinion, but I'm just not building a whole skinning engine - as I did for desktop modules - for icons in the dock. If you want to call that being neglectful, ah well... :roll:

Aesthetics is a personal thing. For every person who would prefer a simple black and white version of the clock like the one suggested here, there are probably ten or more who prefer it as it is. You can't please everyone and I am not about to create 999 different versions of the same ICONIC clock module: you already have three and even if you had 999 that STILL would not be enough to satisfy everyone.

You are getting so upset about this that your reply doesn't even make sense in the context to what I have posted on this topic, as @Nexter pointed out on the message above.

Yeah and it's your software and you do whatever you want, calm down mate.

Anyway, peace, yall can close or delete this topic, whatever.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 5:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

flep wrote:
You are getting so upset about this that your reply doesn't even make sense in the context to what I have posted on this topic, as @Nexter pointed out on the message above.

Try reading it again until it makes sense then.

What we are having here is a mere difference of opinion - however, if you want to use strong words such as 'neglected', then you should be prepared for an equally strong reaction from the other side when defending their point of view.

If you can't stand the heat, either don't start the fire or get out of the kitchen. :P

flep wrote:
Yeah and it's your software and you do whatever you want, calm down mate.

See, this statement is so patronizing you could almost claim it is designed solely to make the other person angry. I suppose you too could calm down, no? :P

But yes, you are right about that first part.

flep wrote:
Anyway, peace, yall can close or delete this topic, whatever.

I don't delete posts or topics simply because of a difference of opinion - in fact, in over 20 years you can still count with the fingers of ONE hand the number of times I deleted a topic or banned a user (not counting forum spam, obviously).

Plus, unlike what you seem to think (despite admitting you just got here) I have been known to change my mind when presented with **reasonable** arguments - but not without a fight.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 2:03 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Ladies, ladies, come on now, let's all calm down and play nicely and not get our knickers in a twist over what are basically differences of opinion. ;) We don't really need to play tit-for-tat and get personal, now do we? OK? :)

I must admit that it may seem all too easy for somebody new to come to the conclusion that the clock module may be neglected - after all, the default does look very dated now on account of that LED matrix font and the Mac-style highlight/reflection of yesteryear. Of course, that doesn't take into account that the clock module is and does much more than just an icon, but that is another kettle of fish altogether.

And while we're all aware now that there *are* alternatives to the default icon, it's not the actual icon that was at issue, let's not forget that. It's just the actual font, and perhaps the placement of the information that was (and always has been) the meat of the matter, just to reiterate that point. The point of the whole exercise in wishing for a better font (heck, even the font used in other other metering mods would surely be fine), and perhaps a slightly different placement of the information (e.g., just have the time and current day of the week) is to increase the information value and thus make the module fulfil its function better. Its current 'eye candy' value must surely be rather doubtful anyway, surely.

Anyway, peace and goodwill to you all. 8)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 19 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2