Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: New user with a few questions
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 11:25 am 

I bought the ultimate edition for the multiple docks.

1. Is it possible to have the docks only show the programs that are open on that monitor in a multi-monitor setup?
2. I've noticed that some programs show a preview window in the dock but most don't. Is there any way to turn this on for all programs that are open?
3. How can I configure the dock to hide only if there are windows/programs fullscreen on that monitor but hide if I maximise a window?

Post subject: Re: New user with a few questions
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 3:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

unabatedshagie wrote:
1. Is it possible to have the docks only show the programs that are open on that monitor in a multi-monitor setup?

Not currently, but that is a good idea for the to-do list.

unabatedshagie wrote:
2. I've noticed that some programs show a preview window in the dock but most don't. Is there any way to turn this on for all programs that are open?

Those little iconic thumbnails are not the same as the live previews that pop up when you hover over the icons.

Unfortunately the Windows 'live preview' feature has no mechanism that would allow us to obtain an icon from a live preview. As such, the iconic thumbnails must be retrieved via other methods, and those methods have limitations.

For instance, it is not possible to get an iconic thumbnail from a window that is currently minimized - also, these days more and more applications use bitmaps to create their windows instead of drawing the windows normally - under Windows 7 it was still possible to get an iconic thumbnail for those special windows, but Windows 10 stopped that due to 'security reasons' (sigh).

Also, when an application has more than one window open, the icon of that application is obviously used instead (likewise for those windows that an iconic thumbnail cannot be retrieved for one reason or another).

unabatedshagie wrote:
3. How can I configure the dock to hide only if there are windows/programs fullscreen on that monitor but hide if I maximise a window?

Not sure if I correctly understood the question, but if you go to the Properties panel for that dock and navigate to the Behavior tab, at the top you have a 'Auto-hide for maximized applications when always on top' setting.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 2 posts ]