Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Freakiest Sub-dock Reaction Ever!! What Happened?!!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:58 pm 

Hi Jorge, the freakiest thing happened. I don’t know what I did, but all I can tell you is that it was a highly abnormal click. My finger kind of slid on the left-click button and I’m not sure, but I might have accidentally barely moved the cursor ball at the same time.

The next thing I know, the sub-dock Control Icon changed to an On-Screen Keyboard icon. When I clicked on it, it opened the On-Screen Keyboard. :shock:

The next part is really baffling to me. When I check the type of icon it is via right-click, it shows that it’s for a sub-dock and not for the On-Screen Keyboard! After seeing this, I put a real On-Screen Keyboard launch on my bottom dock to see what would happen, and it correctly shows that it’s for the On-Screen Keyboard.

Never have I heard of anything like this before. What in the world happened?!! :?

After wracking my brain for several minutes on what to do, I came up with the idea to use the Duplicate Sub-Dock feature via right-click on the "wacky" On-Screen Keyboard icon.

After doing so, the "wacky" On-Screen Keyboard icon suddenly turned into a floating dock that would not collapse/disappear. The "wacky" On-Screen Keyboard icon is still on the dock. After thinking about it for a bit, I dragged all of the items onto the newly created sub-dock.

Can I delete the "wacky" sub-dock without it affecting the newly created duplicate? I notice I can only do that by going into Preferences and not via right-click.

Post subject: Re: Freakiest Sub-dock Reaction Ever!! What Happened?!!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Open the Dock Properties panel (NOT Preferences) for *any* of your docks, go to the Behavior tab, click the Sub-Docks button. Is the "Allow attaching sub-docks to existing application shortcuts" setting enabled in the dialog that pops up? It should NOT be by default.

Windy wrote:
Can I delete the "wacky" sub-dock without it affecting the newly created duplicate? I notice I can only do that by going into Preferences and not via right-click.

Why not via right-click?

Also, before you do anything else, open Preferences, go to the Advanced tab, click the Troubleshooting Options button, click the Backup button, backup your current settings, and then click the 'Check Integrity of Docks and Shelves'

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Freakiest Sub-dock Reaction Ever!! What Happened?!!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:22 pm 

winstep wrote:
Open the Dock Properties panel (NOT Preferences) for *any* of your docks, go to the Behavior tab, click the Sub-Docks button. Is the "Allow attaching sub-docks to existing application shortcuts" setting enabled in the dialog that pops up? It should NOT be by default.

Went ahead and checked. It's not enabled.

Windy wrote:

winstep wrote:
Why not via right-click?
I was looking to directly delete the sub-dock via right-click, but it appears you designed that to show up in the context menu > Preferences. I've always deleted docks via Preferences using the System Tray to access it. It's good that you have more than one way to access it.

winstep wrote:
Also, before you do anything else, open Preferences, go to the Advanced tab, click the Troubleshooting Options button, click the Backup button, backup your current settings, and then click the 'Check Integrity of Docks and Shelves'

I backed up the settings, checked the integrity, and it says No Problems Found.

I then deleted the floating sub-dock. If I remember correctly, before I could remove the "wacky" On-Screen Keyboard icon, I had to delete the contents (which was the Control Icon) before I could remove the icon.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]