Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: List of running apps in sub-doc
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:19 pm 

Hi all, I installed Nexus Ultimate 20.10.1154 a few hours ago (on Windows 10) and registered it and started playing around with it and setting it up the way I like it. I've been stuck on one question for the past 2 hours and google was not able to help. I have a sub-dock with 2 browsers in it, Firefox and Brave. I have 3 open windows of Firefox, is there a way to show the 3 windows when I hover over the Firefox icon inside the sub-dock? Right now when I hover over it, it shows me information about Firefox. Thank you.

Post subject: Re: List of running apps in sub-doc
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Open the Dock Properties panel for that dock (NOT Preferences) and in the Content tab enable the 'Combine dock icons with running applications' setting. This should do the trick.

... and then again maybe not since those two browser icons are on a sub-dock of their own separate from the main dock, and a sub-dock that is not showing a list of currently running applications...

Hmmmm...

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:12 pm 

Thanks for the reply. I tried enabling that option, but even though it is not grayed out, it won't let me enable it...it behaves as if it is grayed out. Any idea why?

The reason I got Nexus is because I have a lot of apps and I have them pinned on my task bar, and my task bar is nearly full. I wanted to group the icons together and still be able to see the running apps as it is with the Windows taskbar...grouped together under one icon. For example, Firefox is part of the Browsers group and the 3 Firefox browsers are all under Firefox. And I do have a lot of the apps running, so if I use Nexus, and add the running apps to the dock, the dock will fill up. The other option is to add another dock, but I don't want to do that as it feels a bit too much. Anyhow, this would be a nice addition to Nexus in the future, if you guys are inclined to do it.

Having said that, I do like the app, keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

shahgols wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I tried enabling that option, but even though it is not grayed out, it won't let me enable it...it behaves as if it is grayed out. Any idea why?

You MUST have the 'Show running applications in this dock' setting enabled.

The "problem" is that this applies to THAT dock (the parent dock) only. A sub-dock does not inherit this setting (as it should not) although it does inherit the 'Show indicator on shortcuts to applications that are currently running'.

If the 'Show running applications in this dock' AND 'Combine dock icons with running applications' are both enabled, then the dock will behave a lot like the Windows taskbar, e.g. a Firefox icon pinned to the dock (i.e. appearing on the left side) will not repeat/appear in the list of running applications at the right (provided running applications are set to appear grouped).

For all instances of Firefox to appear grouped under a single icon, you must make sure that grouping is enabled in the main Preferences window (as it is a global setting): Preferences -> Tasks tab -> Grouping is set to 'Group similar windows into a single icon'

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:26 pm 

Thanks again. I created several groups and enabled to option to show running apps on the same doc. It is fitting the length of my window. It's not exactly what I had in mind, but it works. Thanks again for your help.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]