Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: How to view contents of any folder from the dock?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:51 pm 

Hi, I am trying out the demo version of Nexus. On MacOS at least under Snow Leopard, one could drag any folder in the dock so that when one clicks on it, the dock displays all subfolders and files within that dragged folder. How to do this under Nexus?

Post subject: Re: How to view contents of any folder from the dock?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:20 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not under the free version of Nexus.

Under Nexus Ultimate/Winstep Xtreme you have something called the Grid Stack, which can do this (and much more since it isn't limited to folders) but in 'grid' mode:

Under Nexus Ultimate/Xtreme you can also add sub-docks to any dock.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:07 am 

Thanks. I found a video on grid stacks but it was made in 2018. Any improvements since then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiE4N5V8UQE

Currently I am also evaluating Fences 4.0 from Stardock. Before I installed Fences, I had difficulty in distinguishing between files and folders on the desktop. Moreover, it was difficult to find the files/folders I wanted. With Fences, it separates the two in to two fences and allows me to increase the font size of the file and folder names inside those fences. Can your software do the things I mentioned?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:39 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

windowstep wrote:
Thanks. I found a video on grid stacks but it was made in 2018. Any improvements since then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiE4N5V8UQE

Currently I am also evaluating Fences 4.0 from Stardock. Before I installed Fences, I had difficulty in distinguishing between files and folders on the desktop. Moreover, it was difficult to find the files/folders I wanted. With Fences, it separates the two in to two fences and allows me to increase the font size of the file and folder names inside those fences. Can your software do the things I mentioned?

Can't view videos here as I disabled them on my stick from which I boot. But in any case, the date of 2018 identifies it as being from some other app, not Winstep. Very likely no longer developed/available, and it's probably comparing those bananas to Winstep's oranges. ;) There is plenty of info on the Grid Stacks on the website and also in the forum if you want to do a search.

As far as I know, the only Stardock app still in development is Windowblinds, thus Fences is obsolete. Always seemed like crap to me anyway, the whole bunch of Stardock's apps actually. (They once were very good for the time, back in the days of their ObjectDesktop for OS/2, which is where Stardock apps first appeared.)

As for distinguishing files and folders, surely that's easy enough given that each uses completely different types of icons!

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:14 pm 

nexter wrote:
As for distinguishing files and folders, surely that's easy enough given that each uses completely different types of icons!

unless he personalized the icons?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:35 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

seeker wrote:
nexter wrote:

unless he personalized the icons?

Hmmm.... Weeell.... One would have to be pretty daft to use icons where folders and files were indistinguishable, surely. :P

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:56 pm 

I may personalize the icons with your excellent software but so far, I just use the default icons. Before using Fences, I had difficulty in distinguishing between folders and files when they were mixed on the desktop. Note that I use a 50" 4K display at longer than an arm's distance.

If Winstep Xtreme or some of its themes can replace the functionalities of Fences, I just forget about Fences and buy the Xtreme.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:06 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

windowstep wrote:
I may personalize the icons with your excellent software but so far, I just use the default icons. Before using Fences, I had difficulty in distinguishing between folders and files when they were mixed on the desktop. Note that I use a 50" 4K display at longer than an arm's distance.

If Winstep Xtreme or some of its themes can replace the functionalities of Fences, I just forget about Fences and buy the Xtreme.

On the desktop!? Ouch! In the first place, the desktop is absolutely no place for files and folders. The only things that should be on your desktop are the Recycle Bin and My Computer, plus app shortcuts. (Yes, I know, alas it's an all too common practice mainly by computer un-savvy people to have files and folders there - they belong in your User folder, or preferably a separate partition or disk.)

Also, with that size of monitor and resolution, you need to use large icons, at least 96 pixels, and high DPI setting.

Fences, or any other Stardock app, cannot be directly compared - a case of apples and oranges. Totally different beasts. I would suggest you have a very good long look at the Winstep website - there's a load of info about the various Winstep apps there - but in particular https://www.winstep.net/xtreme.asp to help you decide whether any of these would suit you. And there's always the 30-day free trial version of Xtreme. One thing Winstep apps won't do though is automatically separate your files and folders. It really doesn't make any sense actually, it just isn't a normal way of working with computers so that's why you wouldn't find that.

Hope this helps. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:43 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
windowstep wrote:

On the desktop!? Ouch! In the first place, the desktop is absolutely no place for files and folders. The only things that should be on your desktop are the Recycle Bin and My Computer, plus app shortcuts. (Yes, I know, alas it's an all too common practice mainly by computer un-savvy people to have files and folders there - they belong in your User folder, or preferably a separate partition or disk.)

Also, with that size of monitor and resolution, you need to use large icons, at least 96 pixels, and high DPI setting.

Fences, or any other Stardock app, cannot be directly compared - a case of apples and oranges. Totally different beasts. I would suggest you have a very good long look at the Winstep website - there's a load of info about the various Winstep apps there - but in particular https://www.winstep.net/xtreme.asp to help you decide whether any of these would suit you. And there's always the 30-day free trial version of Xtreme. One thing Winstep apps won't do though is automatically separate your files and folders. It really doesn't make any sense actually, it just isn't a normal way of working with computers so that's why you wouldn't find that.

Hope this helps. :)

Oops! I gather Fences and some other Stardock apps have apparently all been updated to Windows 11 (except, I assume, the long abandoned RocketDick ;) ), sorry, my mistake.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Oops! I gather Fences and some other Stardock apps have apparently all been updated to Windows 11 (except, I assume, the long abandoned RocketDick ;) ), sorry, my mistake.

You mean ObjectDock, Shirl... errr, surely? :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:49 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

You mean ObjectDock, Shirl... errr, surely? :D

Sorry, of course, I meant ObjectDick. :P And don't call me Shirley. ;) :D

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 11 posts ]