Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 41 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Windows 11 action center cut off when using dock
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:21 am 

winstep wrote:
Ah-ah! Surprise!

v22.7 is officially out now. :D

Sorry for nabbing this thread, but i saw that the new update is out... but it seems that you forgot to change the date of the update :P

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the heads up, but that is actually deliberate so the Winstep Update Manager doesn't prompt you to renew your upgrade subscription when you don't actually need to.

From the news/announcement page for this release:

Important note to currently registered Nexus Ultimate users:

To make up for the fact that there were no new releases for a while, this upgrade - making Nexus Ultimate FULLY compatible with a brand new Windows version - is FREE to you provided your license key is valid for updates released until October 27 2020 or later.

If you are updating via the Winstep Update Manager, the Updater itself will let you know if your license key is NOT valid for v22.7, in which case you will have to either renew your upgrade subscription or stay with the version you already have.

You can find more details about your license key at the bottom of the About tab of Nexus Ultimate Preferences. You can also renew your upgrade subscription from that tab if necessary. For more information about Nexus Ultimate's Upgrade Policy please click here.

###

Likewise for Winstep Xtreme:

Important note to currently registered Winstep Xtreme users:

To make up for the fact that there were no new releases for a while, this upgrade - making Winstep Xtreme applications FULLY compatible with a brand new Windows version - is FREE to you provided your license key is valid for updates released until October 27 2020 or later.

If you are updating via the Winstep Update Manager, the Updater itself will let you know if your license key is NOT valid for v22.7, in which case you will have to either renew your upgrade subscription or stay with the version you already have.

You can find more details about your license key at the bottom of the About tab of NextSTART or WorkShelf Preferences. You can also renew your upgrade subscription from that tab if necessary. For more information about Winstep Xtreme's Upgrade Policy please click here.

###

The release date for the free version of Nexus already appears as 27 July in the Winstep Update Manager (as it should) since that one has no license issues.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:28 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Dajova wrote:
winstep wrote:
Ah-ah! Surprise!

v22.7 is officially out now. :D

Sorry for nabbing this thread, but i saw that the new update is out... but it seems that you forgot to change the date of the update :P

IIRC, this is deliberate so as to enable the update for those whose license expired near that point.

:Edit: LOL! Didn't realise Jorge was posting at the same time! :/Edit:

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:41 am 

FWIW, neither update fixed the issue.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

user_cmx wrote:

Well, I am not seeing that here (also Windows 11) and frankly I can't think of a reason for that to happen, all the Winstep application does is emulate the key press to invoke Action Center (WIN + A) it does not actually manipulate the window itself.

Are you saying that exiting Nexus is enough for the window to return back to normal instead of appearing cropped?

What happens if you set the Windows screen DPI (text scaling) to 100% ?

Any difference if you add the 'Action Center' internal command to the dock (right click -> new dock item -> internal command -> system -> action center) and invoke it from the dock?

EDIT: the latter internal command will actually show the Windows Calendar and Notifications. To get the panel you're talking about make the dock display the system tray icons and then click on either the volume, power or net icons.

Attachments:
ActionCenter.jpg
ActionCenter.jpg [ 35.13 KiB | Viewed 10119 times ]

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:49 am 

winstep wrote:
user_cmx wrote:

Are you saying that exiting Nexus is enough for the window to return back to normal instead of appearing cropped?

What happens if you set the Windows screen DPI (text scaling) to 100% ?

- Correct. As soon as I exit Nexus everything returns to normal
- It shrinks everything, however, it still cuts off the action center even with
everything tiny.

After playing around with my Nexus settings, I figured out what might be causing it.
Position > Prevent maximized windows from overlapping the dock
Once I deselect it, the action center works normally. However, I much prefer this option selected. As soon as I apply the setting back, the action center is cut off again like in the picture.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Glad you experimented around to figure it out. The 'prevent maximized windows...' feature should only reserve enough screen space for the dock itself to fit.

Also, that Windows 11 is doing that to the Action Center panel if it doesn't fit the available screen space is pretty dumb (it actually sounds more like a bug with Windows 11 than anything else, where that happens if a toolbar reserves screen space at the top).

Do you have more than one monitor?

What happens when you maximize a window? Can you please send a screenshot (just want to see the amount of space between the dock and the maximized window).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

NEVER MIND.

Managed to reproduce the issue here by enabling that setting on my dock at the top.

*IT IS* a BUG with Windows 11 itself - as such there is nothing you can do other than turn that setting off for docks at the top or move the dock to the bottom (plus notify Microsoft and hope that they will eventually fix this).

Can't Microsoft do anything right these days?

Attachments:
ActionCenter2.jpg
ActionCenter2.jpg [ 29.6 KiB | Viewed 10106 times ]

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:49 pm 

winstep wrote:

LOL not much. Thanks for your time and help.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Because I have a two monitor system where one of the monitors is actually a 43" 4K OLED TV (LG CX) that turns itself off after a while instead of going into standby, I had already noticed that Windows 11 has a lot of trouble with "appbars" (a Windows mechanism where toolbars like the Windows taskbar are allowed to reserve screen space so they are not covered by maximized windows).

This is what happens when you change things (like the Windows 11 taskbar) just for the sake of changing things - especially when you don't first take the time to fully understand all the implications.

Microsoft has been overrun by kids who think change for the sake of change is a good thing, not realizing that the old way of doing things had been there for a very long time BECAUSE IT WORKED!

And you can apply this to "modern" society too.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:39 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

user_cmx wrote:
winstep wrote:

LOL not much. Thanks for your time and help.

Not much? Nah, nothing. Once (or twice) upon a time, but not now. :)

C'mon, everybody switch to Linux! ;) I did (mainly)! 8)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:15 pm 

Hi guys,

As we are talking about the new update and the changes that it made to accessing the action center. I just wanted to ask about these new icons that appear on the taskbar section of the dock post update:

Attachment:
Screenshot 2022-07-29 091118.png
Screenshot 2022-07-29 091118.png [ 9.91 KiB | Viewed 10060 times ]

Furthest left icon is my collapsed taskbar icon, and the other 3 to the right open the little control panel of the action center. Is there any options in the new update to customise how these display?

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You mean the actual icons? Not if you are running the free version of Nexus.

If you are running Nexus Ultimate or Winstep Xtreme you can open either Nexus Ultimate Preferences or WorkShelf Preferences, go to the Tray tab, enable tray icon customization and then click on the 'Customize Tray Icons' button.

Both Nexus Ultimate and Winstep Xtreme come with high resolution versions of most of these system icons which you can use when customizing them.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:38 am 

Appreciate the reply.

I am on the free version. I don't need to change the icons however is there anyway of hiding them? They weren't there pre-update.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:45 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The fact that they weren't there WAS an issue under Windows 11 that this new v22.7 release corrected.

Those are system tray icons, so if you don't want them there just tell the dock NOT to display system tray icons: Preferences -> Content tab -> clear 'Show system tray in this dock'.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 41 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next