Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 41 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Windows 11 action center cut off when using dock
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

user_cmx wrote:
After playing around with my Nexus settings, I figured out what might be causing it. Position > Prevent maximized windows from overlapping the dock
Once I deselect it, the action center works normally.

Well, guess what? The latest Windows 11 22H2 release fixed this issue.

These are the good news. The bad news is that it also broke everything related to reporting CPU usage, even in the Details tab of Windows own Task Manager.

Well done once again, Microsoft! Love the quality of these updates. :roll:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:53 am 

I just did the latest update and it is still NOT working for me :evil:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:06 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

user_cmx wrote:
I just did the latest update and it is still NOT working for me :evil:

Really?! By latest update do you mean you are now running Windows 11 22H2? You can check by pressing WIN + R and typing Winver

Anyway, that's odd, it seems to be working fine here now. Take a look (that's a maximized Firefox window, by the way, to show that the dock is really reserving screen space as it should):

Attachments:
ActionCenterFixed.jpg
ActionCenterFixed.jpg [ 89.51 KiB | Viewed 7396 times ]

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:17 am 

That is strange. It's still literally the same issue for me. I uncheck "prevent maximized windows..." and apply, and it works correctly. Check it back on, and it's cut off again. :|

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

user_cmx wrote:
That is strange. It's still literally the same issue for me. I uncheck "prevent maximized windows..." and apply, and it works correctly. Check it back on, and it's cut off again. :|

Hmmm... you sure you're running 22H2? What happens if you UNCHECK the "prevent..." setting, restart Windows, and THEN enable after the fact?

Here I normally don't have the dock reserving screen space, so I checked the option after Windows starting up and Action Center having already been displayed at least once. Unlike what happened in 21H2, this time Action Center did not appear cropped.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:42 am 

Ah my apologies. I assumed the cumulative update was to 22H2, but i'm stll showing 21H2. Will update once I get up to 22H2.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah well, that explains it eheh :D

Pity Microsoft can't fix one thing without breaking another these days.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:07 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Ah well, that explains it eheh :D

Pity Microsoft can't fix one thing without breaking another these days.

Err.... Nothing new under the sun really. ISTR the same situation pertained back in the days of NT4 to XP. They fixed one thing and broke anything up to a dozen others. Admittedly, rarely anything as drastic as seems to be happening under Win 10 and 11.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's out of control these days. Truly unbelievable for what is supposed to be a mature OS. Change for the sake of change, no respect for what had been previously working fine for decades, no understanding that new isn't necessarily better - and, worst of all, zero consideration for the end user. We're all being treated like guinea pigs and our voices do not reach the sky.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:58 pm 

I run two versions of Windows 11 on two machines.
One is the last version of Insider and the latest on the other which runs my DAW. Winstep is on Insider which is not only more stable, it shows no sign of issues. I believe this to be because it is halfway between Win10 and what was officially released.
I also run Stop Updates 10 on it.

On the updating DAW machine, I create a restore file daily. It means I can theoretically undo and stop anything which is nasty. I have done that twice now. One was an exceptionally ugly .NET update and the other put my booting on an endless cycle.

I agree. By now they really do not have any excuses. They have had more than enough years to get it right since the joke of WINNT 4.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:21 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

BassdudeNZ wrote:
I run two versions of Windows 11 on two machines.
One is the last version of Insider and the latest on the other which runs my DAW. Winstep is on Insider which is not only more stable, it shows no sign of issues. I believe this to be because it is halfway between Win10 and what was officially released.
I also run Stop Updates 10 on it.

On the updating DAW machine, I create a restore file daily. It means I can theoretically undo and stop anything which is nasty. I have done that twice now. One was an exceptionally ugly .NET update and the other put my booting on an endless cycle.

I agree. By now they really do not have any excuses. They have had more than enough years to get it right since the joke of WINNT 4.

Oh hang on a minute. I really can't agree that Win NT4 was a joke - it was the first workable version of NT, and even for the average consumer a better option than the pathetic hybrid 8/16/32-bit Win 95. NTFS also proved fairly robust for the time compared to older 3.51. That said I still preferred running OPENSTEP 4.1/4.2 (and Solaris) - even though Jobs sold us NeXT users out. Of course, NT4 also had the, for some of us at least, distinct advantage of being able to run OPENSTEP Enterprise, the Openstep frameworks and environments to support O'step apps and the full dev environment. The biggest irony of course is that the Win 95 style GUI was a rip-off (initially, later licensed between mates Bill G. and Jobs) of the NeXT GUI code, just with a different visual appearance and slightly different metaphors.

What was a joke though were the updates - I'm happy to say though that I avoided them. :)

:Moderator's note - the next two posts have been split off and moved to 'Off Topic' under the title 'NT4 and All That' - nexter:

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 41 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3