Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Default Mouseover Effects
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:16 am 

Hi. Where is the setting (if there is one) to set default mouseover effects so i don't have to correct them every time i make a new dock?

(my current assumption is that there is such setting, and im just blind and have skipped over it few times)

Post subject: Re: Default Mouseover Effects
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:28 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

seeker wrote:
Hi. Where is the setting (if there is one) to set default mouseover effects so i don't have to correct them every time i make a new dock?

(my current assumption is that there is such setting, and im just blind and have skipped over it few times)

If memory serves, these settings are on a per dock/shelf basis rather than global, so should be somewhere in 'Dock Properties'. (Can't check as still not finished configuring Win 10 again so on a Linux stick at the mo.)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:00 pm 

nexter wrote:
If memory serves, these settings are on a per dock/shelf basis rather than global, so should be somewhere in 'Dock Properties'. (Can't check as still not finished configuring Win 10 again so on a Linux stick at the mo.)

i know where per dock setting is, as i set it anew every time i create a new (sub)dock, but i was hoping there was a way to set a global default like it is for theme

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:20 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

seeker wrote:
i know where per dock setting is, as i set it anew every time i create a new (sub)dock, but i was hoping there was a way to set a global default like it is for theme

If there were, it must be darn well hidden... ;) Alas, I think it's per dock only IIRC. As for sub-docks, surely those inherit parent's properties if memory serves?

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:43 am 

nexter wrote:
As for sub-docks, surely those inherit parent's properties if memory serves?

not in case of subdock from a shelf, which i most often use

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mouseover, Launch, Attention and Delete effects are per-dock settings, as Ric stated, and when you create a new dock it gets hardcoded defaults for these.

Here is a trick for you, however: open WorkShelf Preferences, go to the Dock & Shelves tab and create a new (empty) dock. Set whatever effects you want for that dock - once those are set, disable that dock so it disappears from the desktop.

Now, whenever you want to create a new dock, just go back to the Dock & Shelves tab and, instead of clicking the 'Create New Dock' button, select the disabled dock you have previously configured and click 'Duplicate Dock'.

This will result in a new dock with all the settings you previously established for the disabled 'source' dock.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:44 pm 

Thx Jorge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:53 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

That's what I call a plan! Never thought of it because I wouldn't keep setting up more and more docks/sub-docks, and also I never use any anims. One dock, one shelf, that's all I've had till now, and I think once I set up properly again I'll just use one shelf and the taskbar, leaving the dock out completely. After all, the original idea of the shelf under NeXT was for it to replace the dock, with running apps and document windows displayed in the cube. Besides, it's all I'll need, in combo with grid stacks. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:59 pm 

nexter wrote:
Besides, it's all I'll need, in combo with grid stacks. :)

im thinking of switching from shelf subdocks to stacks. just have to take the time to do it

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:50 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

seeker wrote:
nexter wrote:
Besides, it's all I'll need, in combo with grid stacks. :)

im thinking of switching from shelf subdocks to stacks. just have to take the time to do it

Stacks certainly are very useful to me and suit my way of working perfectly. Docks and sub-docks - given an excellent taskbar replacement and shelves - are, in my view, an obsolete metaphor and completely superfluous.

If stacks suit your way of working, it would be well worth the (little) time and effort setting them up. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 10 posts ]