Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 48 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Skinning the Calendar Module
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:03 pm 

Picco14 wrote:
Hello Everyone...

another request concerning skinning, would it be possible to implement the
possibility of embedding an image or a photo in the "ButtonA" or "ButtonI"
menu and which is not subject to stretching or deformation when opening
from the menu. This solution existed in the "AstonShell" software which was
neglected and abandoned by its designer for reasons that I do not know and
surely justified after windows 7.
Another thing, the possibility of adding animations at the top of the "TitleA"
or TitleI" menu when opening the menu as we sometimes see on
"Windowblinds" themes that I do not use on a daily basis but which I use for
convert some themes to "Winstep".
I noticed in the ".wst" config file an animation part, but I still don't
understand how it works and how to use it.
Another thing, the possibility of adding a close and close over button in the
different modules to close them individually without going through their
menus and also an over button to change the months in the calendar for
example "WsCalleftArrowOver"...
I know it's a lot of work and that there are other more important problems to
solve, it's just a request that is not essential and maybe these solutions are
already implemented and I don't have yet managed to discover them and if
they already exist, how to introduce them into the theme.

I made the effort to write in english and even if it is not good, I hope it
will be understandable...
With all my respect for all the people who work on Winstep and on this site...
Sincerely...

Picco14.

Your English is tres bien.
The calendar after being away for a while is more finicky that is for sure and more fussy with edits.
I am wondering if there is an editor application update? I PM'd Jorge.
Unlike when last here, I will be doing for myself not publicly but it would be nice to have an updated menu/module and nexus skinner/editor. If this eists, someone PLEASE post the link.
Many thanks

P.S. - I have checked out a lot of Winstep skinners' calendars. So far (for me only) - I am yet to see one as good as what comes with Winstep by default other than Office and Office V2 which I think may have been done by Jorge anyway. My attempt so far almost sucks but I am getting there..... So I am asking because having a template to start with similar to requested would be great.

Post subject: Re: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:02 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

BassdudeNZ wrote:
The calendar after being away for a while is more finicky that is for sure and more fussy with edits.
I am wondering if there is an editor application update? I PM'd Jorge.
Unlike when last here, I will be doing for myself not publicly but it would be nice to have an updated menu/module and nexus skinner/editor. If this eists, someone PLEASE post the link.
Many thanks

P.S. - I have checked out a lot of Winstep skinners' calendars. So far (for me only) - I am yet to see one as good as what comes with Winstep by default other than Office and Office V2 which I think may have been done by Jorge anyway. My attempt so far almost sucks but I am getting there..... So I am asking because having a template to start with similar to requested would be great.

What you really want is what we've come to call "The Thing with no Name", or "The Thing that must not be Named" for fear of incurring the wrath of Jorge. ;) IOW, a Theme Builder. Alas, no, nothing yet. There is an old early alpha of a section for Nexus, but it's less than perfect, but that is all. I could try check on its URL for you if you'd like to explore that. The other "thing", according to Jorge, will alas have to wait until he is totally bored out of his skull. ;)

Also, Picco14 gave me a list of the options for the config file for the calendar some years ago (as well as for the Mopn mod) but not sure ATM where I've kept those.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:19 pm 

nexter wrote:
BassdudeNZ wrote:

What you really want is what we've come to call "The Thing with no Name", or "The Thing that must not be Named" for fear of incurring the wrath of Jorge. ;) IOW, a Theme Builder. Alas, no, nothing yet. There is an old early alpha of a section for Nexus, but it's less than perfect, but that is all. I could try check on its URL for you if you'd like to explore that. The other "thing", according to Jorge, will alas have to wait until he is totally bored out of his skull. ;)

Also, Picco14 gave me a list of the options for the config file for the calendar some years ago (as well as for the Mopn mod) but not sure ATM where I've kept those.

Thanks for the reply.
There is a theme builder I just found it but it's a skinner, niot like version 6 which I will try which edits menus and more.
However - it lacks the calendar and moon but t if you could kindly PM me the config you will save me a LOT of pain. The graphics and the *.wsi file are not a problem. It is just that the XPOS and YPOS, as well as the spacing for text, are completely ignoring me. So any help with informing of the how-to / options, is appreciated. :)
Cheers

P.S. - I have noticed with Windows 11 that a few of my earlier themes and some done by name skinners do not align and the workshelf and taskbar overlap on top of each other. - when I work out the exact cause, I will go and fix the lot of them (personal use). If you know that would also save time but I do not mind the hard yards.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:12 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

BassdudeNZ wrote:
Thanks for the reply.
There is a theme builder I just found it but it's a skinner, niot like version 6 which I will try which edits menus and more.
However - it lacks the calendar and moon but t if you could kindly PM me the config you will save me a LOT of pain. The graphics and the *.wsi file are not a problem. It is just that the XPOS and YPOS, as well as the spacing for text, are completely ignoring me. So any help with informing of the how-to / options, is appreciated. :)
Cheers

P.S. - I have noticed with Windows 11 that a few of my earlier themes and some done by name skinners do not align and the workshelf and taskbar overlap on top of each other. - when I work out the exact cause, I will go and fix the lot of them (personal use). If you know that would also save time but I do not mind the hard yards.

Huh? Sorry, no, there is no current Winstep Theme Builder. Alas!

I don't use Windows 11 - wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, ever! - so I'm afraid I can't be any help there, sorry. In fact, at the moment I'm still trying to finish setting up Win 10 again after deciding to relegate it to a very small partition on an older laptop. I've been using Linux as my main OS for a number of years now and use Win less and less, only for barely a handful of apps now so with a smaller Win partition there's more space for my main Linux OS (Ubuntu, plus Fedora) which I now need to get up and running before I can spend more time on Windblows.

As for the info for the Calendar and Moon mods I got from Picco14, I'll try and find that as soon as I can find the time and then PM you, no problem. Only time is the problem - I don't get nearly enough time on computer due to health issues and then mostly on my laptops, again due to said health issues. Anyway, following the details obtained from P14 I found it quite easy to skin the two mods, after a little trial and error, and hope you'll find it relatively easy too.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post subject: UPS: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:07 pm 

I figure this is W.I.P?

I ask because I can see Jorge has already developed it within his Office V2 Theme (and matching config file).
Is this only accessible in BETA groups? All good if so because it does not show in the module drop-down is why I ask.
Great idea. My UPS would be preferred to be viewable in a module rather than having to use https by opening a browser.
Many use java so I figure that might be part of the delay?
Any update on this is appreciated. :)
Cheers

Post subject: Re: UPS: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:54 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

BassdudeNZ wrote:
I figure this is W.I.P?

I ask because I can see Jorge has already developed it within his Office V2 Theme (and matching config file).
Is this only accessible in BETA groups? All good if so because it does not show in the module drop-down is why I ask.
Great idea. My UPS would be preferred to be viewable in a module rather than having to use https by opening a browser.
Many use java so I figure that might be part of the delay?
Any update on this is appreciated. :)
Cheers

See Jorge's post on the subject of 21stJuly (currently on the previous page). So, to summarise, no, no WiP. As most UPS use the same protocol, they're captured by the existing UPS/Battery mod. Sorry if this is bad news for you.

Post subject: Re: UPS: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:25 am 

nexter wrote:
See Jorge's post on the subject of 21stJuly (currently on the previous page). So, to summarise, no, no WiP. As most UPS use the same protocol, they're captured by the existing UPS/Battery mod. Sorry if this is bad news for you.

It's fine I have a fully functional http module - just seemed convenient :)

To the Calendar - I decided to work with one of Jorge's for only my own - not for public availability because he made such a clean design as a test. I even found his reply to Mindy - HOWEVER - I can do everything except the fonts..

I edited the *.wsi file as he said and I just cannot get rid of the color highlighted to match what I wish.
Any help is appreciated. I worked out the rest.
Cheers and thanks for your help so far.

Has stopped letting me add a piccy so here it is in a web link
I wish to change the day(s) color. As mentioned I followed Jorge's post to Mindy but it did not work.
https://prnt.sc/kfgpOwivq8wM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:26 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Wisely, my browser (TOR) will not allow that link for the pic - it's set up to refuse all scripts and there seem to be plenty on that site linking to Google, and other evils. :)

In any event, I'll have to dig up the info when I get a chance, as can't really remember it off hand. In fact, none of it. :/ (Haven't really worked on a theme for a few years, so need to refresh.) Sorry I can't be of more immediate help and have to ask you to be patient as I don't get enough time on computer and the info will be on USB drives, as I don't store any data on any of my machines apart from a minimal set required for the week or so.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:54 am 

nexter wrote:
Wisely, my browser (TOR) will not allow that link for the pic - it's set up to refuse all scripts and there seem to be plenty on that site linking to Google, and other evils. :)

if im not mistaken that's lightshot link, which i had been using until you warned me about the scripts, then i researched and they are really fishy.
in addition to the scripts on the site, there is no way to delete your account except manually deleting pic by pic* and support simply doesn't respond to requests.

i switched to sharex myelf but there are other alternatives out there too

edit: * i found a script online that automates the process by simply repeating the action to delete until there are no more pics left.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:29 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

seeker wrote:
nexter wrote:

if im not mistaken that's lightshot link, which i had been using until you warned me about the scripts, then i researched and they are really fishy.
in addition to the scripts on the site, there is no way to delete your account except manually deleting pic by pic* and support simply doesn't respond to requests.

edit: * i found a script online that automates the process by simply repeating the action to delete until there are no more pics left.

Yes, indeed, it is a Lightshot link. All kinds of trackers and other data harvesting stuff - evil! :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:15 am 

nexter wrote:
seeker wrote:
nexter wrote:

Yes, indeed, it is a Lightshot link. All kinds of trackers and other data harvesting stuff - evil! :twisted:

I have never had any issues with any invasions from there or anything other than the facility to display images.. I guess it depends on a system by system basis.

I embedded via html, that should make it easier.

CLEARLY:
The original designer of this is Jorge.
It will never be available to anyone else without his permission. It is an edit based on Office V2.
However, it is a great theme to to use as a template to test with because it is coded so well and is very clean in design.
Cheers

*EDIT - I have worked it out in the *.wsi file 10 changes the non-month day's colors etc... by changing one digit at a time to see how the hexidecimal increments/decrements.... thanks for the assistance.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:25 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

:lol: :lol: Never any issues with Lightshot being invasive? You gotta be kidding. You just don't see it, ordinarily, and least of all with an insecure, non-private / anti-private browser such as Opera or any other Chrome derived browser such as Edge etc. If you want to guard and defend your privacy, as a first step consider dumping any Chrome-derived stuff and getting a secure, privacy-respecting browser like TOR, Firefox, or Brave. I really don't understand why most people are so little aware and concerned with not only their online system security but especially also their privacy - a fundamental human and civil right - and happily give away all their data online. :(

Anyway, as for the fonts, as I said before, I don't remember how to change the colours there or anything else but I do know it was dead easy to do. Will look for the info as soon as I find the time.

Also, I shall be moving this discourse to its own thread in the forum as it has no connection to the Wish List really.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:42 am 

nexter wrote:
:lol: :lol: Never any issues with Lightshot being invasive? You gotta be kidding. You just don't see it, ordinarily, and least of all with an insecure, non-private / anti-private browser such as Opera or any other Chrome derived browser such as Edge etc. If you want to guard and defend your privacy, as a first step consider dumping any Chrome-derived stuff and getting a secure, privacy-respecting browser like TOR, Firefox, or Brave. I really don't understand why most people are so little aware and concerned with not only their online system security but especially also their privacy - a fundamental human and civil right - and happily give away all their data online. :(

Anyway, as for the fonts, as I said before, I don't remember how to change the colours there or anything else but I do know it was dead easy to do. Will look for the info as soon as I find the time.

Also, I shall be moving this discourse to its own thread in the forum as it has no connection to the Wish List really.

No problem.
I probably should have mentioned I have a cisco firewall (hardware) sitting in front, before my computer and after the ISP's wannabe router. I took it off to see what you were saying and I have just shifted to greenshot which seems to not be doing any E.T call home according to wireshark.
And if people really want to defend their privacy they do not bother with software, they get hardware. Most people won't because they are daunted by the prospect of potentially configuring 65,535 UDP and TCP ports and ACL's by command line.

BACK TO TOPIC:

I have it all sorted. The trick was working out what lines are not in there which need to be in the *.wsi file and what needs to be true or false and the respective hex to decimal color conversions.

Post subject: Re: Skinning the Calendar Module
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:06 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

A hardware firewall/NAT box is useful, but it does not and cannot prevent everything. For the general, typical or average PC user, a really good AV and software firewall, such as ESET, and a really secure as can be, well encrypted (inc. zero access) VPN - there is only one that really excels, Proton VPN as part of the whole Proton ecosystem - are a far better and usually cheaper as well as easier option. (A basic version of Proton is available free of charge, with better performance than any other 'free' VPN. The full version is an incredible value for money.) And a combination like that will stop just about anything and everything when combined with a secure browser set up to use private windows only etc. Certainly more so than any hardware firewall/NAT box. :)

Anyway, glad you found a solution to the calendar text. :D

Post subject: Re: Skinning the Calendar Module
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:18 am 

nexter wrote:
A hardware firewall/NAT box is useful, but it does not and cannot prevent everything. For the general, typical or average PC user, a really good AV and software firewall, such as ESET, and a really secure as can be, well encrypted (inc. zero access) VPN - there is only one that really excels, Proton VPN as part of the whole Proton ecosystem - are a far better and usually cheaper as well as easier option. (A basic version of Proton is available free of charge, with better performance than any other 'free' VPN. The full version is an incredible value for money.) And a combination like that will stop just about anything and everything when combined with a secure browser set up to use private windows only etc. Certainly more so than any hardware firewall/NAT box. :)

Anyway, glad you found a solution to the calendar text.

:D

Proton is great. As to choices in protection, it comes down to knowing what you are doing with what you have too which we both have pretty much alluded to. Nothing is 100%.
There is a massive list of applications from last century into this one that 'used-to-be" great or secure and in the current environment not so much.
VPN's have become commonplace and some corporate and well-respected sites will deny access if you use one too. This makes anyone go WTF?!?! ESET has always been good. None of them for total security are lightweight on resources, just some larger and smaller than others.

I feel sorry for anyone new to it trying navigate what is safe and what is not. Unfortunately, a lot of it is trial and error with the latter often being more prevalent.
The ugliest thing out there is ransomware. Viruses, trojans, malware for the greater part is repairable. Encrypted ransomware is heinous. :D

The Calendar - this is a beast - It is well-coded by Jorge but ensuring all the components are present and accounted for to edit, and more, is critical. Just the edit file is not enough though I have my head around it pretty well now. The most difficult part is accurate color translation. It was one thing to do it and match it in Jorge's Workshelf 2 - It's a different ballgame doing it all in text and code.

Also the Startbar & Workshelf alignment issues:
FIXED. The old edits used to allow for some trickery. Windows 10 & 11 is unforgiving and stacks some of the older attempts at trying graphic placement differences.
I made a default *.wst file which corrected every library with that issue (two of mine and eight third-party ones on Wincustomize). I took Jorge's new one, compared it, found the differences and made a generic one. All one has to do is change the name of the theme to match in the *.wst copied across, the generic name *.wst file copied across (renaming the original in same folder) and BOOM = alignment.

P.S - I will say that manual RGB editing is NOT fun with 255255255 and 16 million colors. I will search my backup for a comprehensive chart I had decades ago...when I have more time.

Last edited by BassdudeNZ on Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 48 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next