Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 48 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Skinning the Calendar Module
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:10 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

BassdudeNZ wrote:
winstep wrote:
calendar

Jorge

I gather it is possible to edit the FLIP calendar icon? i.e. do my own?
While it may seem obvious to many, I have never tried but one compact design I have started would prefer that instead as the full is too bulky. Seems like a noob and in some ways that's true, but I have never asked so I am now. Also - what are the image extensions/names to place in the theme folder to facilitate this?
Thanks in advance.

Not Jorge, but.... ;)

Nope, I'm afraid none of the module icons can be changed (although there is an alternative digital clock image where the background can be changed). Jorge doesn't want free-form skinning for the in-dock/in-shelf modules. Which is fair enough. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:12 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That is not completely true... for SOME of the iconic modules you can change the static *background image* of each of the styles: open Preferences, go to the Modules tab, select the module you want (e.g. Calendar) then click the 'Change Icon' button).

But that is as far as it goes for the iconic versions of the modules.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:03 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
That is not completely true... for SOME of the iconic modules you can change the static *background image* of each of the styles: open Preferences, go to the Modules tab, select the module you want (e.g. Calendar) then click the 'Change Icon' button).

Argh! How did that slip past me!? That's the trouble when you don't have things in front of you, you forget and f*** up! ;) Of course, some of the other modules can have their backgrounds changed as well! Works esp. well with CPU, RAM, NET-IN and -OUT.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:21 am 

winstep wrote:

There is another way and I tested it but I would not do it because it requires backing up both a dll and the executable and while perhaps not true, to me it insults the developer, so no.
A resource editor will allow it.
When I say I tested it, I opened it and there is a facility to extract/replace etc but the mere fact it opened sufficed.
Angus Johnson's Resource Hacker will do it as one of the simpler ones.
Additionally, you are stuck with the same issue you suggested with the icon which is static. You cannot change the icon theme to theme that way either where it stores a different icon for each theme.

Cheers and thanks for answering both of you. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

BassdudeNZ wrote:
There is another way and I tested it but I would not do it because it requires backing up both a dll and the executable and while perhaps not true, to me it insults the developer, so no.

You can change the resource DLLs and it's not an insult, just do not redistribute the modified DLLs.

Whatever you do, however, do NOT change the actual executable. It is protected against tampering and if you do the application will stop working.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:31 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

BassdudeNZ wrote:
winstep wrote:

When I say I tested it, I opened it and there is a facility to extract/replace etc but the mere fact it opened sufficed.
Additionally, you are stuck with the same issue you suggested with the icon which is static. You cannot change the icon theme to theme that way either.

Good thing you didn't go further. Any tampering with the executable will, IIRC, completely corrupt the file.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:52 am 

nexter wrote:
BassdudeNZ wrote:
winstep wrote:

Additionally, you are stuck with the same issue you suggested with the icon which is static. You cannot change the icon theme to theme that way either.

Good thing you didn't go further. Any tampering with the executable will, IIRC, completely corrupt the file.

I try to be respectful. As I mentioned 'requires backing up first'- That's really nice of Jorge to allow it. I figure he does what he can when he can and I would not be surprised if the next update or the one after allows for the default icons to be different for each theme instead of global for all. If not, I will leave it alone. It's like the 'if it's not broken, don't fix it' rule :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

But you can already change the iconic form of *most* modules on a theme basis. Take a look at THIS.

The link points to the old User Guide for WorkShelf v9.5

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:24 pm 

winstep wrote:
But you can already change the iconic form of *most* modules on a theme basis. Take a look at THIS.

The link points to the old User Guide for WorkShelf v9.5

THANKS Jorge YUP..

By the way, remember this? when you first released the calendar before skinning for it was available. 2014? 2016? Cannot remember the date.
To do this properly for download, I would have to completely reformat the calendar and moon into my own and maybe one day I will have the inclination. I cleaned the menu up and I like it. :)
This originated possibly before all the 'offices' for anyone who is as old as I am lol – You saw this privately Jorge I never put it up for download from memory? I am older now near retirement so my memory isn’t what it used to be.

This might be my cleanest menu to date. Now I need to make the nexus bar more semi-pro. Then maybe onto the moon and calendar.

Last edited by BassdudeNZ on Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

BassdudeNZ wrote:
By the way, remember this? when you first released the calendar before skinning for it was available. 2014? 2016? Cannot remember the date.
To do this properly for download, I would have to completely reformat the calendar and moon into my own and maybe one day I will have the inclination.

I remember and I like it, can you upload it "as is" to the Winstep Themes Gallery (you can modify it later if you want)?

The gallery is still under construction and not open to the public yet, but you can already upload things to it (just make sure you are logged in to the forums first, since it uses the same user account).

BassdudeNZ wrote:
dice free app

What is this at the end of your post? Looks like it was automatically added when you copy/pasted the link to the last image? Can I remove it?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:53 am 

winstep wrote:
BassdudeNZ wrote:
To do this properly for download, I would have to completely reformat the calendar and moon into my own and maybe one day I will have the inclination.

I remember and I like it, can you upload it "as is" to the Winstep Themes Gallery (you can modify it later if you want)?

The gallery is still under construction and not open to the public yet, but you can already upload things to it (just make sure you are logged in to the forums first, since it uses the same user account).

BassdudeNZ wrote:
dice free app

What is this at the end of your post? Looks like it was automatically added when you copy/pasted the link to the last image? Can I remove it?

Please do !!!

It was in the ibb code ffs.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I see you already removed it yourself eheh

Did the same for the actual URL in my posts.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:42 am 

winstep wrote:
I see you already removed it yourself eheh

Did the same for the actual URL in my posts.

Thank you.

I looked at the CPU, RAM and Net meters. They work with the theme but in my opinion are not up to par with the rest. Do you still wish me to upload? I have no problems with community contributions/edits to make it the best it can be either. Or you can wait and I will do something better as I am enjoying vectors so much more.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Upload it. It's more than good enough and you can always update it later if you want to. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:01 am 

winstep wrote:
Upload it. It's more than good enough and you can always update it later if you want to. :)

Done deal - I also included a permissions text file like they have at the other place.
Credit clearly given to Winstep Technology Software for Calendar and Moon Phase and also included n the *.wsi and *.wsl file appropriately.

I additionally have a purple, green and brown office (below) but I cannot take any credit other than a choice of wallpaper and graphic editing to accommodate what I envisioned. So that is your call Jorge. I loved how clean your commissioned one is and totally edited to suit my needs.

Last edited by BassdudeNZ on Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 48 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next