Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: 64-bit and portable build for Nexus
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:26 am 

Hi.

I like your app and want it use in WinPE x64. But unfortunately it doesn't have 32-bit subsystem. As Nexus is 32-bit application it can't be run there.

Could you provide 64-bit build?

P.S. Also I would like that Nexus can be run as portable application (able to store the settings in local directory).

Post subject: Re: 64-bit and portable build for Nexus
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately the answer to both requests can only be No and No.

The programming language used to build Winstep applications is very old and can only produce 32 bit applications. In hindsight I should have used C++ instead, but, as they say, hindsight is 20/20 vision - now it's too late.

As for using INI files instead of the Windows Registry and thus making a portable version, I'm not sure that would work well given how large backup files of the settings can grow to when using a ton of shelves, docks, etc, in the paid versions.

Perhaps one day I'll bother looking at making a portable version, but I don't think I would make that available for free - and that is assuming it is even possible due to the development environment requiring runtime files etc.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:06 pm 

winstep wrote:

As for using INI files instead of the Windows Registry and thus making a portable version, I'm not sure that would work well given how large backup files of the settings can grow to when using a ton of shelves, docks, etc, in the paid versions.

why would .ini be any larger than registry backup? its basically just a plain txt file with changed extension

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:09 pm 

I'm worried about the day microsoft completely kills compatibility for old apps.

It would/will be a completely idiotic decision, but the way thinks are going im really expecting it will happen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It has to do with the way the Windows Registry is cached in memory etc... it's an order of magnitude faster writing to and reading from the Windows Registry than from an INI file stored in a flash drive.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:40 pm 

winstep wrote:
It has to do with the way the Windows Registry is cached in memory etc... it's an order of magnitude faster writing to and reading from the Windows Registry than from an INI file stored in a flash drive.

yea, that would affect not only backup/restore, but also startup of the app

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:02 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

seeker wrote:
I'm worried about the day microsoft completely kills compatibility for old apps.

It would/will be a completely idiotic decision, but the way thinks are going im really expecting it will happen

I'm afraid it's almost inevitable that MS will kill more and more Win32 compatibility as time goes by. As and when that happens, or even before that happens, why not move over to Linux? It's already my main OS, or rather, OSes, on my machines for a number of years. I'm only keeping Windows as a secondary OS as I do still need a - very! - few apps, but I could always run those offline on a small XP or Win 7 system - either partition or VM - as they're pure Win32. Of course, there's also the pleasure and convenience of Xtreme, which I'd really hate to lose. But, as things stand, I think we still have a good few years of compatibility ahead of us. :) (Then again, I may just be utterly wrong - the world has become full of idiocy, alas!)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]