Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Grid Stack - Box around icon and label
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:25 pm 

Hi everyone,

Is there a way to change the color or thickness of the box that appears around the icon and label in a grid stack? I'm using the Innominatum theme by Xiandi and I love everything about the theme except for this box. In some of the other themes this box is barely noticeable. I'm OK with editing a theme file if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Grid Stack - Box around icon and label
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

In the theme's *.wsw file, look for

ActiveFrameColor1
ActiveFrameColor2

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:44 am 

Just to make sure, I'm trying to remove or change the box around the Icon and Label for the Winstep Folder in this picture. It appears on any item you move the cursor over. I have Mouseover Effect set to None. If I change it to Zoom the box is only around the label. I am using Windows 11.

Attachments:
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png [ 27.2 KiB | Viewed 4321 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:21 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, I understood you first time. :)

What color is used for that selection box is theme dependent, so to change it you will have to directly modify the WorkShelf configuration file for that particular theme (the .wsw file in the folder that holds bitmaps and configuration files for that theme)

IMPORTANT: since the current theme is cached in "memory" even between restarts of the application, you will have to apply a different theme and then re-apply the original theme to force a reload and thus be able to see any changes you made to that theme's configuration files.

Also, the shelf has an option to show a grid around the icons (Shelf Properties -> Appearance tab -> Show icon grid).

This is both a user preference as well as a theme setting. You can use two colors for this grid, and the grid can look "solid" if both colors are the same, or made to look 3D if the colors are different. In my opinion solid will usually look "out of place", like in your screenshot, unless you use a very subtle color in relation to the shelf's background.

This icon grid was a cosmetic feature added sometime in the middle of the development cycle of WorkShelf, so older themes have this grid around the icons automatically disabled.

Since the grid is also a user preference, many skinners don't like it or prefer not to show it in their own systems, so when they make a theme they don't notice what their theme will look like if the icon grid is enabled in the user's system.

Why all this talk about the icon grid? Because the colors used for the icon grid are also the colors used for the selection box in your screenshot.

This means that when the theme author neglects to set those colors properly because they are not using an icon grid on their systems, the selection box for that theme ends up looking like that when not using a mouseover effect.

Anyway, you have two options: first try playing with the 'Show icon grid" setting and the colors in the Appearance tab of the Shelf Properties dialog (you might have to temporarily enable the setting to change the colors), and if that doesn't work then you will have to edit the theme's configuration file as described above.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:25 pm 

Thanks for your detailed explanation. I really enjoy using Winstep Xtreme. I've spent many hours exploring the various options. I don't think that I would ever have a computer without it again. It's one of the best pieces of software I have ever purchased, and it is definitely worth the price.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thank you. :D

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]