Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Incorrect CPU usage since Windows 11 22H2
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Heads up if you are running Windows 11 and thinking about upgrading to 22H2!

Just upgraded from 21H2 and the reported CPU usage of applications as well as total CPU usage is COMPLETELY broken, even on the new Task Manager itself.

In the Processes tab of Task Manager everything is honkey-donkey, of course (bet that is the ONLY page in the new Task Manager MS developers actually bothered to look at, as I am not even going to call it "testing"). Now go to the Details page and see how broken everything REALLY is,

If in the Processes page an application with a single process is (correctly!) reported as using 8% of the CPU, in the Details page that same process will be reported as using either 0% or 1%.

Most 3rd party applications that report CPU usage (either total or per-process) are also reporting incorrect results because of how broken CPU usage as reported by the system is.

Winstep applications use the Windows GetProcessTimes API call to calculate CPU usage per process. The values returned by this API call are now completely wrong, matching those returned in the Details tab of the Windows Task Manager (the ones that are also wrong).

Microsoft managed to break the whole thing in 22H2, my Google searches regarding this issue revealed countless users complaining about this in countless threads before the official release and Microsoft did nothing to fix this absolutely 'in your face' issue while it still could.

After firing their whole QA team some years ago, one would expect that Microsoft would at least listen to their Insiders feedback, but apparently they don't even do that (much?).

Some users even thought that their CPU was not going above a certain percentage after the update and that this affected their gaming performance, when in reality this was probably just a combination of the flawed CPU usage reporting issue with the nVidia GeForce Experience issue (also read that updating the nVidia drivers to the latest version with eVGA Precision running could lead to issues with GPU usage limits being lowered unbeknownst to the user).

Anyway, while some years ago I felt very confident about installing Windows updates, I'm sad to say that these days my anxiety peaks and I'm always expecting the worst! :(

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Windows 11 22H2 issues
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:48 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Not that things were ever very good, but MS seems to have been going completely to pot ever since BG let go of the reins.

I never, ever voluntarily upgrade and always have had Win 10 feature upgrades set to six months after first availability. I hope I can mostly avoid them when I do run Win 10 regularly again as it will be mostly offline anyway and not that often anyway, much happier with Linux.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 2 posts ]