Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Re: Synchronize?!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi!

No, the Winstep calendar only works with the internal alarms.

This said, there seems to be a lot of people upset with Microsoft for removing the ability to interact with the Windows 11 calendar. If there is a lot of interest I might eventually look into a way to sync the Winstep calendar with 3rd party APIs.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:20 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Jorge, this issue was raced in July last year in the following post/topic -
https://forums.winstep.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11843

Certainly attracted a lot of attention, esp. in the first few months, and now has had over 12k views.

Personally, I don't like the idea at all and find it absolutely absurd to want to sync and, in the first place, have several calendars. I would never use any of the online calendars bar one myself and that is Proton Calendar - securely encrypted and totally private - and even then, never liked calendars of any kind on computer. But then that's me, and it certainly looks to me that it would interest a fair number of people. However, I think that function would be a function too far for the free version of Nexus.

Just my 2 pennies' worth. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:39 am 

i for one would be interested, and i agree prob not in the free version

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks Seeker, Ric.

Definitely not for the free version.

The free version is already much more powerful and feature complete than it should be for its own good. Then again, back then it had to be, as it was competing against mamoths like Stardock's Objectdock and PunkLab's RocketDock with zero to no marketing, only word-of-mouth.

Problem is, I'm guessing something like this would be a lot of work and probably almost worth an application on its own - only to run the risk of Microsoft restoring functionality to the Windows 11 calendar at some point.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:11 am 

you never know with microsoft, but afaik their calendar was only in sync with outlook, it wasn't possible to sync it with google calendar or other calendars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

And that by itself is another can of worms, online identification: look at what just happened to the Email Checker Module now that Gmail no longer accepts the classic username/password login method.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:50 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Thanks Seeker, Ric.

Definitely not for the free version.

The free version is already much more powerful and feature complete than it should be for its own good. Then again, back then it had to be, as it was competing against mamoths like Stardock's Objectdock and PunkLab's RocketDock with zero to no marketing, only word-of-mouth.

Problem is, I'm guessing something like this would be a lot of work and probably almost worth an application on its own - only to run the risk of Microsoft restoring functionality to the Windows 11 calendar at some point.

Definitely smacks of a hell of a lot of work. But if you were to do it - eventually - might I suggest perhaps as an optional plug-in, to be bought separately? Even then, I could see this being potentially very high maintenance if/when other calendars change anything and the whole thing is probably far more effort than it's worth.
winstep wrote:
And that by itself is another can of worms, online identification: look at what just happened to the Email Checker Module now that Gmail no longer accepts the classic username/password login method.

Exactly!

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]