Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 67 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's next after v22.7?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Has anyone already played around with the new 'individual taskbar per monitor' feature?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:01 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Has anyone already played around with the new 'individual taskbar per monitor' feature?

Alas, not here as monitor only copies laptop screen. Got the beta set up now though. :)

However, real problem with beta in Windows 10. The net, sound, UPS, and Task Manager icons of the systray are displaced from the systray by about 64 pixels above it. Tried exiting Xtreme and restarting, no difference, rebooting and restarting Xtreme, again, no difference. Not a biggie as such necessarily, but might be indicative that code for Win 11 systray may not be compatible with earlier Win versions? (Which might be a problem, of course.)

Strange that no-one else has reported anything at all yet. Seems a bit lame really, after all the clamour about updates in the recent past....

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:22 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Was tinkering in Win 10 this morning. Problem solved, it seems! :)

Changing themes would appear to have got rid of the problem - systray now displays as it normally does in all my themes, even after a reboot. :D

Odd, though.

Otherwise, everything in Xtreme appears normal, nothing odd to report so far.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:01 am 

winstep wrote:

Just reviewed the forum so only just seen this announcement.

Will be back at the weekend and will try and test it out then (only have laptop here with me at the moment).

Fairly sure I'm in the 'red' though so will need to back up everything first.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:36 pm 

I installed the beta this afternoon and have been trying it during my normal usage on my 2x monitor desktop running Windows 10 Pro 22H2 and Displayfusion 10.0

Will need to try it for a bit longer when in normal workflow, but the individual taskbar seems to be working so far.

One annoyance (at least to me):
I have the 'show start menu' option enabled on the taskbar (next to Nextstart's start button) but if this is activated on the secondary monitor it brings the Windows start menu (I use Startisback++) up on the primary monitor - even if this is running a full screen game.

I'm pretty sure that this behaviour has been observed / mentioned before.

I may have to replace with openstartmenu if this can't be altered.

I appreciate that I can use Nextstart's start menu but I like the look and operation of the Windows7 start menu.

Anyway will report back later this week as I use the beta more.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

techlobo wrote:
I have the 'show start menu' option enabled on the taskbar (next to Nextstart's start button) but if this is activated on the secondary monitor it brings the Windows start menu (I use Startisback++) up on the primary monitor - even if this is running a full screen game.

It used to be possible to move the Windows Start Menu near the location of the actual mouse click, but this required determining its size. The problem is that under Windows 10 and 11 the Windows Start Menu is actually a full screen window with transparent bits around it. It is therefore not possible to determine the size and actual position of the menu itself within that full screen window, which means it cannot be re-positioned either.

Microsoft have basically been breaking a ton of their own rules lately with their new "Modern" UI.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:32 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
techlobo wrote:

It used to be possible to move the Windows Start Menu near the location of the actual mouse click, but this required determining its size. The problem is that under Windows 10 and 11 the Windows Start Menu is actually a full screen window with transparent bits around it. It is therefore not possible to determine the size and actual position of the menu itself within that full screen window, which means it cannot be re-positioned either.

Microsoft have basically been breaking a ton of their own rules lately with their new "Modern" UI.

Under Win 10 Pro 22H2, the standard Win 10 Start Menu here shows up in the right location every time. When I say standard, I just have the left hand menu and deleted all the crap on the right. Haven't had the time to give a Start Menu util that Windy recommended a try but hoping to soon. That of course might then alter the situation.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:38 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Somethings else I forgot to mention. The systray icons sometimes still are displaced upwards on starting Xtreme, by how much depends on the width of the Taskbar. Everything returns to normal on reloading the theme or changing themes.

Also, it loses the Taskmanager icon from the systray since the beta. Might also apply to other icons, I'll try and check out a few.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:30 pm 

nexter wrote:
Under Win 10 Pro 22H2, the standard Win 10 Start Menu here shows up in the right location every time. When I say standard, I just have the left hand menu and deleted all the crap on the right. Haven't had the time to give a Start Menu util that Windy recommended a try but hoping to soon. That of course might then alter the situation.

The Win10 Start menu appears in the right place on the main monitor when selected from the taskbar there. The issue is that it also appears on the main monitor when selected from the taskbar on the secondary monitor.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:34 pm 

winstep wrote:
techlobo wrote:

I've managed to get it working (after a fashion) with an application called Openstartmenu so will play with that a bit.

This may be due to the fact that Startisback++ is already replacing the Win10 provided menu with a Win7 lookalike, so can be moved?

Last edited by techlobo on Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:37 pm 

Should just mention that I'm not seeing any problems with the Systray icons - so it may be one of those setup dependency things (annoyingly....)

[Edited] - Actually to be precise the systray window moves slightly up and down depending on where you click the systray icon. Click it at the top and the window will be slightly higher, at the bottom lower (dependent on the height of the icon). I assumed that this was just the window being displayed relative to the location of the mouse when icon selected?

I'm not having any issues with the task manager icon .... yet!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:20 am 

Another minor observation - the taskbar on my secondary monitor appears to start v.slightly higher than that on the primary monitor. Confirmed by minimising both taskbars which gives a 'slightly' thicker line remaining on the secondary. However as stated it has minimal impact on screen real estate. Just mentioning for completeness.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:43 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

techlobo wrote:
nexter wrote:

The Win10 Start menu appears in the right place on the main monitor when selected from the taskbar there. The issue is that it also appears on the main monitor when selected from the taskbar on the secondary monitor.

Right, I understood from your previous. But I'm just on a single monitor in effect as external, when I use it, just duplicates the laptop screen.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:51 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

techlobo wrote:
Should just mention that I'm not seeing any problems with the Systray icons - so it may be one of those setup dependency things (annoyingly....)

[Edited] - Actually to be precise the systray window moves slightly up and down depending on where you click the systray icon. Click it at the top and the window will be slightly higher, at the bottom lower (dependent on the height of the icon). I assumed that this was just the window being displayed relative to the location of the mouse when icon selected?

I'm not having any issues with the task manager icon .... yet!

Well, the Taskmanager icon's definitely AWOL here, but no others seem to be affected. So far tested with 3 apps that use a systray icon. (Only 1 left to try as don't have many apps in Windows, and can't test that one at present - it's complicated! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:00 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I must say, given the beta's been available for over a week now, and given all the fuss and clamour about updates that went before, I find the response here - to put it extremely mildly - somewhat understated should I say. This was supposed to be a *quick* beta!

Or maybe, is it just so perfect for most that there's nothing to report? :twisted:

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 67 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next