Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 67 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's next after v22.7?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:
latest nexus, win 10 64 bit, ups is APC BE850G2-GR, with PowerChute personal edition 3.1.0

You would need to uninstall Powerchute and let the UPS be recognized and managed by Windows as a HID (Human Interface Device) battery.

The problem with APC's Powerchute is that the drivers it installs are proprietary and not compatible with Windows own battery management (which is what the Winstep battery module also uses). The drawback of uninstalling Powerchute is that you lose the custom APC power events it can log (brownouts, etc) but the Winstep module will still be able to log any actual power outage events (and you can control what happens when battery percentage reaches a certain level either via Windows or via the Winstep battery module).

I have my main PC connected to an APC 2200VA SmartUPS and the two 4K monitors connected to yet another APC 2200VA SmartUPS - at idle that's about two hours and forty minutes of runtime, allowing me to comfortably ride out most of the extremely rare power outages that happen here lol

I don't have Powerchute installed - if there is an unmonitored power outage, Windows will automatically shut itself down once the battery reaches a critical level.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:57 pm 

winstep wrote:
seeker wrote:
latest nexus, win 10 64 bit, ups is APC BE850G2-GR, with PowerChute personal edition 3.1.0

You would need to uninstall Powerchute and let the UPS be recognized and managed by Windows as a HID (Human Interface Device) battery.

The problem with APC's Powerchute is that the drivers it installs are proprietary and not compatible with Windows own battery management (which is what the Winstep battery module also uses). The drawback of uninstalling Powerchute is that you lose the custom APC power events it can log (brownouts, etc) but the Winstep module will still be able to log any actual power outage events (and you can control what happens when battery percentage reaches a certain level either via Windows or via the Winstep battery module).

I have my main PC connected to an APC 2200VA SmartUPS and the two 4K monitors connected to yet another APC 2200VA SmartUPS - at idle that's about two hours and forty minutes of runtime, allowing me to comfortably ride out most of the extremely rare power outages that happen here lol

I don't have Powerchute installed - if there is an unmonitored power outage, Windows will automatically shut itself down once the battery reaches a critical level.

o, i see, so it is compatible with standard protocol but powerchute overrides it, i just might switch to windos managed then, thanks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Guys, before I make a public beta, can you give it a try first during the weekend and let me know if you find any issues?

You can download the v22.11 beta of **Winstep Xtreme** from HERE but you MUST be currently running v22.7. Exit all running Winstep applications, unzip the file and run setup.exe.

Seeker, I think you will be happy with the new 'Reset Reserved Screen Space' internal command.

As for the multi-monitor tasklists and taskbars, which is what REALLY needs to be tested (but, of course, you will need a multi-monitor system for that), you can find settings for those under Workshelf Preferences -> Tasks tab and NextSTART Preferences -> Taskbar tab -> Taskbar Settings dialog.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:28 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Guys, before I make a public beta, can you give it a try first during the weekend and let me know if you find any issues?

You can download the v22.11 beta of **Winstep Xtreme** from HERE but you MUST be currently running v22.7. Exit all running Winstep applications, unzip the file and run setup.exe.

Seeker, I think you will be happy with the new 'Reset Reserved Screen Space' internal command.

As for the multi-monitor tasklists and taskbars, which is what REALLY needs to be tested (but, of course, you will need a multi-monitor system for that), you can find settings for those under Workshelf Preferences -> Tasks tab and NextSTART Preferences -> Taskbar tab -> Taskbar Settings dialog.

Oops, that leaves me more or less out. While I've got Windows 10 completely configured and set up and configured VPN and AV/FW, I've been concentrating on getting my Linux stuff all set up. Installing Xtreme won't be the problem, but at the moment I'm not using an external monitor - tied up elsewhere - with the i5 laptop, so I'm afraid not much help there, alas. D/l'ed the beta anyway and shall try and set up Xtreme and it later in the day.

:Edit: PS - Jorge, email going out shortly re: sample. :) :/Edit:

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:18 am 

ill give it a run

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:44 am 

i cant get systray to appear independent of taskpbar, ie when i detach it, it doesn't show up anywhere. i must be missing something but i cant figure out what?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:
i cant get systray to appear independent of taskpbar, ie when i detach it, it doesn't show up anywhere. i must be missing something but i cant figure out what?

How many monitors are you running? If more than one, what are your taskbar settings?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:12 am 

got it to show up on second monitor, i have one monitor +tv as a second one, extended display
i separated tasklist and systray from the rest and currently have systray running on second monitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, so that was actually a non-problem if I understood correctly? :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:31 am 

yea, it resolved itself as i played with settings

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:42 am 

and now its gone again

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Anyway, from what I have been testing here there are still issues I need to fix with this build in relation to the multiple taskbars/tasklists when you disconnect and re-connect one or more of the monitors.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:33 am 

got it to appear again, by toggling 'hide nextart taskbar and detach...'
but not sure what im doing wrong, i cant move the systray, nor do i see control icon or clock in it

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:42 am 

pinpointed the not showing issue a bit, when i toggle the 'hide nextart taskbar and detach...'off/on, tray appears, but then when i close the settings(weather with ok or cancel) it disappears again

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:
pinpointed the not showing issue a bit, when i toggle the 'hide nextart taskbar and detach...'off/on, tray appears, but then when i close the settings(weather with ok or cancel) it disappears again

Just finished fixing the other issues... going to tackle that one now, if it hasn't been accidentally fixed already with the changes I already made lol

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 67 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next