Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: On Online Security & Privacy 101....
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:24 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Please Note - The article referred to in the below original post here and the whole topic of said article has been extensively restructured and revised now. Hence, the thread has been re-titled 'Online Security & Privacy 101', and this thread itself also has been re-titled 'On Online Security & Privacy 101' to reflect the change in the title of the main thread.

The restructured and revised thread, as far as extant, is now available here.

The historical first and second post in this present thread are preserved below for historical accuracy, and of course it wouldn't make sense to edit all posts here.

Original text of first post here :

In https://forums.winstep.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12148&hilit=privacy on 28th April 2022 I wrote :

nexter wrote:
Come to think of it, I might even write a few articles on online security and privacy some place else here when I'm more able to and can find the time. :)

Well, the first such article, titled 'Online Security & Privacy (Windows) 101', is now just in its final phase of checking for typos and should be available in the 'Articles' forum on Monday.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post subject: Re: On Online Security & Privacy 101...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:06 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
Please Note - The article referred to in the below original post here and the whole topic of said article has been extensively restructured and revised now. Hence, the thread has been re-titled 'Online Security & Privacy 101', and this thread itself also has been re-titled 'On Online Security & Privacy 101' to reflect the change in the title of the main thread.

The restructured and revised thread, as far as extant, is now available here.

The thread now starts with a Foreword, which is linked to the Contents listing, which in turn links to all extant individual topics. Please note that the main thread does not allow users to post - any queries, comments or discussion should be addressed here.

nexter wrote:
The historical first and second post in this present thread are preserved below for historical accuracy, and of course it wouldn't make sense to edit all posts here.

Original text of this second post here :

Due to unforeseen circumstances the above announced article had to be posted late. It is now available here :

https://forums.winstep.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12368

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post subject: Re: Security & Privacy under Windows....
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:39 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
Due to unforeseen circumstances the above announced article had to be posted late. It is now available here :

https://forums.winstep.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12368

Be smart, value your privacy and security online under Windows and don't make the billionaire 'Bozos' of Big Tech make even more of their ill-gotten billions!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:16 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The next article in this occasional series, this time concerning security and privacy with iOS and Android smartphones (and tablets), is now in preparation, with research almost completed. I hope to be working on a first rough draft within the next couple of weeks. The final article may still take some time as my time is extremely constrained.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:09 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
The next article in this occasional series, this time concerning security and privacy with iOS and Android smartphones (and tablets), is now in preparation, with research almost completed. I hope to be working on a first rough draft within the next couple of weeks. The final article may still take some time as my time is extremely constrained.

And, in case anyone is wondering in view of the recent BBC documentary in the UK, the 'Pegasus' spyware is dealt with in above rough draft, which is coming along bit by bit.

The 'Pegasus' spyware came to my attention well pre-pandemic and is yet another good reason why I will never use any kind of so-called smartphone or other device running on iOS or Android.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 8:11 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Due to having been kept madly busy on this board this past month or two, the forthcoming article on privacy and security on smartphones and tablets regrettably is becoming very much delayed. Although a first rough draft is complete, further work is on the back-burner for the time being, as even when things return to some sort of normality on this board there are a lot of other matters that I have to catch up with urgently.

All the same, I hope it won't be too long before I can resume working on the article.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:08 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
Due to having been kept madly busy on this board this past month or two, the forthcoming article on privacy and security on smartphones and tablets regrettably is becoming very much delayed. Although a first rough draft is complete, further work is on the back-burner for the time being, as even when things return to some sort of normality on this board there are a lot of other matters that I have to catch up with urgently.

All the same, I hope it won't be too long before I can resume working on the article.

Regrettably, I am still being kept busy on this board and related matters, as well as with a host of other matters at the moment.

Consequently, the planned article on privacy and security on smartphones and tablets, although in first rough draft, will likely be delayed by a further few months.

More news when things get moving again on this front.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:25 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

While I have managed to squeeze in a little time for a clean-ish 1st draft of the Smartphone/Tablet article, I regret it still has to remain on the back-burner for now. And relative priority will go to some addenda to the Windows one which were requested elsewhere where that article is also published. Still, not going to come along all that soon, although I have managed to produce rough outlines so far.

More as and when....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:34 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Some good news for a change! I'm at last in the middle of a clean first draft of the first of the Addenda to the Windows article. It is concerned with web browsers, and I have also included the relatively new Mullvad Browser - a kind of TOR Browser without the TOR network, a collaboration between Mullvad (mainly known for its Mullvad VPN) and the TOR Project. I am testing this currently, mainly in Ubuntu but also in Windows of course on account of the addendum.

As an aside, the main article is attracting an awful lot of views lately, having jumped from approaching 4,000 views to more than 20,000 and now fast approaching 68,000! This seems pretty much in line with an increasing awareness of and concern about privacy and security. Surely a very positive trend, and making the addenda all the more important to complete ASAP.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:36 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

More good news! The first draft of 'Addendum 1 - Web Browsers' is finished. I am now ready to start on the second and with luck final draft. :D Of course, this addendum also covers search engines and other browser-based services.

And still more good news, albeit an aside. The main article 'Online Security & Privacy (Windows) 101' has now topped 85,000 views on this board alone. At this rate, it should top 100K views within the next two weeks or so. This is a good thing, a very good thing indeed. The more people get aware of their privacy and security and want to protect it, the more people wake up to the huge threat to privacy, security, and freedom and democracy that is hanging over all our heads the better.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:19 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
More good news! The first draft of 'Addendum 1 - Web Browsers' is finished. I am now ready to start on the second and with luck final draft. :D Of course, this addendum also covers search engines and other browser-based services.

And still more good news, albeit an aside. The main article 'Online Security & Privacy (Windows) 101' has now topped 85,000 views on this board alone. At this rate, it should top 100K views within the next two weeks or so. This is a good thing, a very good thing indeed. The more people get aware of their privacy and security and want to protect it, the more people wake up to the huge threat to privacy, security, and freedom and democracy that is hanging over all our heads the better.

I have now been able to make a small start on the second draft at least. Meanwhile, the addenda will take the form of appendices, each added as a further post to the main article. The appendices planned so far are, 'Web Browsers' - inc. browser-based services - 'VPNs', 'Configuring Windows', 'The Threat of AI - or more accurately, Autonomous Machine Learning', and 'The Threat of Quantum Computing'. All that should keep me occupied for a while!

Meanwhile, the main article is now getting close to 92K views already! Long live privacy, security, freedom, and democracy!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:40 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Some difficulties with the second draft of the Appendix on Browsers etc. highlighted certain structural problems with the whole project. These will regrettably have to take priority addressing for now in what little time I can spare presently.

Consequently, in order to facilitate better integration of the whole project, the current thread 'Online Security & Privacy (Windows) 101' will be retitled 'Online Security & Privacy 101', and the actual article will be preceded by an Introduction and a Contents list. It may also be necessary to revise the Windows article at least in parts.

In spite of these changes, it is hoped to post at least parts of them soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:54 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
Some difficulties with the second draft of the Appendix on Browsers etc. highlighted certain structural problems with the whole project. These will regrettably have to take priority addressing for now in what little time I can spare presently.

Consequently, in order to facilitate better integration of the whole project, the current thread 'Online Security & Privacy (Windows) 101' will be retitled 'Online Security & Privacy 101', and the actual article will be preceded by an Introduction and a Contents list. It may also be necessary to revise the Windows article at least in parts.

In spite of these changes, it is hoped to post at least parts of them soon.

Further to the above, in spite of very limited time good progress has been made with the restructuring of the project and these, i.e., a Foreword, Contents, Introduction, and the revised 'Online Security & Privacy (Windows) 101 article, can now be expected within the next week or so. The over-all title of the thread will change to 'Online Security & Privacy 101' along with these changes, and the link to it may have to be revised as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:35 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Regrettably the restructured project has been slightly delayed due to various emergencies that had to be attended to, and also due to the greater complexity of the work. The 'Online Security & Privacy (Windows) 101' article itself also needed much more extensive revision than anticipated, and the need to add a 'Mini Blog' further delayed work.

However, I now expect to start posting during the rest of this week, probably over the course of several days. The opening post in this thread will also need complete revision. Expect the actual article post to be unusable until the whole restructured project is properly in place, and expect the announcement of completion RSN.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:58 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
Regrettably the restructured project has been slightly delayed due to various emergencies that had to be attended to, and also due to the greater complexity of the work. The 'Online Security & Privacy (Windows) 101' article itself also needed much more extensive revision than anticipated, and the need to add a 'Mini Blog' further delayed work.

However, I now expect to start posting during the rest of this week, probably over the course of several days. The opening post in this thread will also need complete revision. Expect the actual article post to be unusable until the whole restructured project is properly in place, and expect the announcement of completion RSN.

The thread is partly up Here since last night, but may possibly be still subject to correction. So far, it consists of Foreword, Contents, MiniBlog, and Introduction. The for now final addition, 'Online Security & Privacy - Windows & macOS 101' will follow in the course of this weekend.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next