Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: On Online Security & Privacy 101....
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:20 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The full extant restructured and revised thread is now available, starting from the Foreword, with a link to the Contents listing which in turn links to all extant posts in that thread.

It most likely will be a good while before any further posts appear there as I now have an awful lot of other matters to catch up with and resolve. So it goes...

I shall however endeavour to keep up with the Mini Blog as and when anything interesting crops up in the privacy and security metaverse.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:51 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
The full extant restructured and revised thread is now available, starting from the Foreword, with a link to the Contents listing which in turn links to all extant posts in that thread.

It most likely will be a good while before any further posts appear there as I now have an awful lot of other matters to catch up with and resolve. So it goes...

I shall however endeavour to keep up with the Mini Blog as and when anything interesting crops up in the privacy and security metaverse.

Completely forgot to point out that the first and second posts At The Top of this thread have been revised to reflect the changes! The original texts of these posts have been preserved at the end of each post for historical accuracy.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:26 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
nexter wrote:

Completely forgot to point out that the first and second posts At The Top of this thread have been revised to reflect the changes! The original texts of these posts have been preserved at the end of each post for historical accuracy.

A new entry in the Mini Blog today dealing with the documentary in the 'Storyville' series titled 'Total Trust: Surveillance State' broadcast on BBC4 TV at 22.00hrs GMT on 20th February in the UK, well illustrating just how vital the fight to preserve all our online privacy and security truly is in our time!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:26 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
nexter wrote:
nexter wrote:

A new entry in the Mini Blog today dealing with the documentary in the 'Storyville' series titled 'Total Trust: Surveillance State' broadcast on BBC4 TV at 22.00hrs GMT on 20th February in the UK, well illustrating just how vital the fight to preserve all our online privacy and security truly is in our time!

Today, 2024/02/27, a correction had to be made to the article 'Windows & macOS' as I discovered that my source of information in re: DuckDuckGo search engine using Google's cache (stripped for total privacy) is completely outdated, and DuckDuckGo is now tied in with Microsoft/Bing (again, totally stripped for complete privacy), with MS getting the odd few ads (clean!) in return. This is now fully corrected in the article.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:02 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
nexter wrote:
nexter wrote:

Today, 2024/02/27, a correction had to be made to the article 'Windows & macOS' as I discovered that my source of information in re: DuckDuckGo search engine using Google's cache (stripped for total privacy) is completely outdated, and DuckDuckGo is now tied in with Microsoft/Bing (again, totally stripped for complete privacy), with MS getting the odd few ads (clean!) in return. This is now fully corrected in the article.

And another correction - a whole chapter was AWOL in the Contents post, 'Tails - The Anonymous Incognito Live System 101'. Now correctly added as Chapter 2.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:03 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
nexter wrote:
nexter wrote:

And another correction - a whole chapter was AWOL in the Contents post, 'Tails - The Anonymous Incognito Live System 101'. Now correctly added as Chapter 2.

Today, 12/03/24, some minor revisions were made to 'Introduction' and 'Windows & macOS'.

In case anyone might be wondering about all the radical recent changes, these came about in the process of drafting some of the other material, and further as a result of discussions on a private board where the interest is very lively, also resulting in some excellent suggestions/requests.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:24 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
Today, 12/03/24, some minor revisions were made to 'Introduction' and 'Windows & macOS'.

In case anyone might be wondering about all the radical recent changes, these came about in the process of drafting some of the other material, and further as a result of discussions on a private board where the interest is very lively, also resulting in some excellent suggestions/requests.

New Mini Blog entry today regarding the release of the excellent, all-singing-all-dancing 'Proton Pass' for Windows desktop app. Linux and macOS versions are to follow shortly.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:23 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

New online privacy and security topics in the Mini Blog include: iPhone privacy; email as identity and privacy violation in free email services such as Gmail; and the Proton Pass Password Manager and its full and universal support for Passkeys.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:37 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
New online privacy and security topics in the Mini Blog include: iPhone privacy; email as identity and privacy violation in free email services such as Gmail; and the Proton Pass Password Manager and its full and universal support for Passkeys.

And today a bit of a monster Mini Blog update. Topics covered include 'Privacy Washing', the best 'Windows Utility' yet for tweaking your Windows 10 / 11 yet, Proton and 'Standard Note' joining up, and the 'Waterfox' browser. Waterfox has been running a good bit both on Linux and Windows, and by now I'm almost sold on it to replace Firefox here! Also a note on the 'DuckDuckGo' browser for Windows, and more.

Coming up next time among others, the topic of encryption.

And if you want to get to the various articles etc. you could start by having a look at the Contents listing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:58 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
And today a bit of a monster Mini Blog update. Topics covered include 'Privacy Washing', the best 'Windows Utility' yet for tweaking your Windows 10 / 11 yet, Proton and 'Standard Note' joining up, and the 'Waterfox' browser. Waterfox has been running a good bit both on Linux and Windows, and by now I'm almost sold on it to replace Firefox here! Also a note on the 'DuckDuckGo' browser for Windows, and more.

And if you want to get to the various articles etc. you could start by having a look at the Contents listing.

Welcome to Planet Gaol!

Had to leave the topic of encryption from this Mini Blog for next time as a very important issue was again brought to my attention by a member of another board who - rightly - thought this needed to be featured here, so thanks for that.

The issue in question is how our privacy and our rights of freedom of expression/speech and much more are under attack and are being destroyed! Yes, we are already in the planetary prison.... Be prepared to be 'cancelled'.... And start defending yourself!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:16 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
nexter wrote:

Welcome to Planet Gaol!

Had to leave the topic of encryption from this Mini Blog for next time as a very important issue was again brought to my attention by a member of another board who - rightly - thought this needed to be featured here, so thanks for that.

The issue in question is how our privacy and our rights of freedom of expression/speech and much more are under attack and are being destroyed! Yes, we are already in the planetary prison.... Be prepared to be 'cancelled'.... And start defending yourself!

The two examples linked to in the last Mini Blog post, I should clarify, are merely the tip of the iceberg, alas. The tyranny of 'Political Correctness', Identity Politics, and the like is really all pervading online nowadays. Once this seemed more or less confined to social media, but no more for quite some time. From the various members of this thought police, there is a lot of shouting about diversity and inclusiveness. What a joke! Identity Politics is the exact opposite of course, i.e., exclusiveness and segregation with the particular group. Well, that's all part of the Orwellian NewSpeak.

All of this drives home the point that it is more important than ever to most vigorously defend our privacy and security online. This is best achieved by seeking out open source software that keeps us secure and our data private!

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2