Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Nexus Ultimate: System tray disappeared on one machine
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:13 pm 

Hello fellow Nexus friends,

I'm on version 22.7 of Nexus Ultimate, and on Windows 11, Build 22623.2010 (which is an Insider Beta version). Funny or not, on one of two machines, my system tray in one of my docks (top of the screen) doesn't show up anymore suddenly. Out of nowhere. I am almost sure I didn't change anything, and on the second machine where the tray still shows up, there is the exact same version of Windows with all the same updates installed. I already tried the usual, i.e. enabling, disabling systray in this dock, restarting Nexus or Windows, trying to show the systray in another dock, looking for updates and the likes, to no avail.

I'm aware of me being on a non-supported Beta version of Windows 11, which potentially breaks things. I'm still wondering if you have any quick tips on what could be disabling the systray functionality, as I never had any trouble with Nexus despite having been on Dev previews for quite a long time before. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot in advance

Froschfinger

Post subject: Re: Nexus Ultimate: System tray disappeared on one machine
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

All I know is that Microsoft changed the code related to the system tray in the latest Insider builds of Windows 11.

Seems to me like they won't rest until they have changed every bit of Windows functionality just to make things "look better", and backwards compatibility be damned. A sign of the times.

Given how MS developers have been shying away from Win32 lately, this might
spell the eventual end of support for the Windows system tray in Winstep apps. As you can imagine, I am not happy with this and have no idea at this point if this is something that can be worked around (but I suspect not).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:51 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

froschfinger wrote:
Hello fellow Nexus friends,

I'm on version 22.7 of Nexus Ultimate, and on Windows 11, Build 22623.2010 (which is an Insider Beta version). Funny or not, on one of two machines, my system tray in one of my docks (top of the screen) doesn't show up anymore suddenly. Out of nowhere. I am almost sure I didn't change anything, and on the second machine where the tray still shows up, there is the exact same version of Windows with all the same updates installed. I already tried the usual, i.e. enabling, disabling systray in this dock, restarting Nexus or Windows, trying to show the systray in another dock, looking for updates and the likes, to no avail.

I'm aware of me being on a non-supported Beta version of Windows 11, which potentially breaks things. I'm still wondering if you have any quick tips on what could be disabling the systray functionality, as I never had any trouble with Nexus despite having been on Dev previews for quite a long time before. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot in advance

Froschfinger

There's your problem - Win 11 latest beta. From what I've gleaned it seems that MS has been f*cking with the system tray, changing some perhaps fundamental things. You never know, they might still drop that, or they might not. :/

Either way, I wouldn't think there would be a quick fix. It's probably a case of wait and see. :(

No wonder, the way MS is messing around with Windblows, that I feel so much more comfortable with Linux and that Win 10 is as far as I'll go.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:59 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
All I know is that Microsoft changed the code related to the system tray in the latest Insider builds of Windows 11.

Seems to me like they won't rest until they have changed every bit of Windows functionality just to make things "look better", and backwards compatibility be damned. A sign of the times.

Given how MS developers have been shying away from Win32 lately, this might
spell the eventual end of support for the Windows system tray in Winstep apps. As you can imagine, I am not happy with this and have no idea at this point if this is something that can be worked around (but I suspect not).

Oops, I hadn't seen this! And, double ouch! Still, let's hope there will be some way around it.

What's odd though is that the systray has disappeared on only one of FF's machines....

Anyway, even if worst comes to the worst, it's not really such a biggie, in that one could always set the Win taskbar to auto-hide and not replace it but run the Nextstart taskbar or Nexus as well of course. Then, if you need the systray, just activate the shite Win taskbar. Not ideal, but what the hell, f*** MS!

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:17 am 

Hey, you two, wow, that was quick - thank you so much for getting back so immensely quickly. I'm happy to hear I didn't break anything myself, but all the more frustrating if indeed new Insider builds shine upon us the demise of systray support in Nexus. But let us not give up hope so early; there have always been freakish modders finding ways around Windows’ restrictions and boundaries, lest we forget Nexus as one of the children of these efforts.

Thanks, you two. I'll report back if machine two will join ceasing systray support, or if some kind of miracle will let it prevail :).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:09 pm 

Just to come back to this topic: I have actually three machines (2 Desktops, and 1 laptop) I use Nexus on. Today I booted up my third one in the office, installed all updates as well, and lo and behold, it doesn't erase systray functionality from Nexus, even after a more current update (though still only Beta, not Dev). Only this one laptop doesn't want to give it back to me. That's the weirdest thing, and I don't have any idea what could be provoking this on exactly one machine.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Check the build numbers (WIN + R, type WinVer). It's also possible for Microsoft to be doing some A/B testing (i.e.; feature is enabled on some systems but not on others).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:09 pm 

I did check the builds, they were identical and still are, even with another update that came through. Still stumped to have lost my systray in Nexus :(.
I think their A/B testing is reflected in the build number, but I'm not 100% sure about that. If anything comes to mind, or surfaces regarding that matter, I'll let you know!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:38 pm 

Just a tiny update from my side: It eventually also hit my second machine. Systray gone, poof. So it's very likely it's going to affect us all at some point (Beta updates are not extremely into-the-future as the Dev builds are). Fingers crossed you'll find a way to circumvent it, Jorge!

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 9 posts ]