Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Nexus at top of screen, thumbnails on the bottom
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:26 pm 

I have Nexus at the top of the screen but when I hover over an icon that has multiple thumbnails, the thumbnails appear at the bottom of the screen. Then when I want to select one of the thumbnails, they disappear before I can get my mouse down to them.

Screen configuration:

L

1 and 2 are external screens, L is the laptop screen. All are 1920x1080. Nexus is at the top of screen 1 and the thumbnails appear at the bottom of screen 1.

Post subject: Re: Nexus at top of screen, thumbnails on the bottom
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

My guess is that this is a screen DPI issue.

Nexus is multi-monitor compatible and also high-DPI compatible, but it is NOT per-monitor high DPI compatible.

This means ALL monitors must have the same screen DPI (e.g. all at 100% text size, or all at 125% text size) otherwise Windows will literally lie to Nexus about screen resolutions, etc, probably causing the issues you are experiencing.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:47 pm 

All screens are at 100%, even the laptop. Also, all are in landscape orientation.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, I need to see what is happening then, perhaps it will give me a clue.

Press the PRTSCR (Print Screen) key on your keyboard when the thumbnails are at the wrong location, this should copy a screenshot of *all* your desktops (and their relative position) to the Windows clipboard. Then open a program like MS Paint, paste the image onto it, save it as JPG and post it here please.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:48 pm 

The picture has been reduced to 80% size since the forum won't accept anything over 1 MiB.

Attachments:
Thumbnails80.jpg
Thumbnails80.jpg [ 916.45 KiB | Viewed 2970 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That is, in fact, pretty weird - not sure yet what might be causing it.

What happens if you undock the dock from the screen edge so it becomes a floating dock?

Also, are you running NextSTART? Might be something related to reserved screen space.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:32 pm 

If Nexus is undocked on the laptop screen, it will show the thumbnail just above the bar if Nexus is in the bottom half of the screen, and just below the bar if Nexus is in the top half of the screen. It doesn't show the thumbnail on the screen edge.

If Nexus is undocked on either of the two external monitors, it will show the thumbnail just above the bar if Nexus is in the bottom half of the screen, and at the bottom of the screen if Nexus is in the top half of the screen.

Also, sometimes when dragging Nexus from the left to the right screen, it will unexpectedly switch to vertical mode. (Maybe because the cursor was on the left edge when a refresh was done?)

Yes, I'm running NextStart on the left side of the left external monitor. I'm also running Shelf on the top of the right external monitor. I tried moving Shelf to the left monitor and put Nexus on the right monitor with no other WinStep items on that screen and it still displayed the thumbnails at the bottom of the screen if Nexus was docked at the top or was in the top half of the screen. I also tried closing NextStart but Nexus still showed the thumbnails at the bottom.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]