Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: How to transform/convert sub-dock to grid stack?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:02 am 

Hello!

I'm using Winstep Xtreme and after lot of time I found old config with sub-docks, even sub-docks in sub-docks and in time became grid stacks available...

How to easily transform sub-dock to grid stack?

If it's not possible, can I modify config files or any other way?

Thanks for all.
Miro

Post subject: Re: How to transform/convert sub-dock to grid stack?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:36 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

mirkosoft wrote:
Hello!

I'm using Winstep Xtreme and after lot of time I found old config with sub-docks, even sub-docks in sub-docks and in time became grid stacks available...

How to easily transform sub-dock to grid stack?

If it's not possible, can I modify config files or any other way?

Thanks for all.
Miro

Docks/Sub-Docks and Grid Stacks are entirely different beasts - you might just as well ask how to transform a banana into a pineapple. It cannot be done, nor could it be achieved by any modification of any config files. Read the descriptions etc. of Grid Stacks on the web site and other posts here (do a search for 'Grid Stacks', without the quotation marks) to learn how to create Grid Stacks and to learn about the different types of Grid Stacks. Basically, a Grid Stack is a special kind of folder on a Dock or on a Workshelf.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry to have to correct you, Nexter, but although you are right in saying that sub-docks and Grid Stacks are entirely two different beasts, *Regular* type of Grid Stacks (as in shelf tabs of *Regular* type as opposed to 'Show Folder' type etc) are actually pretty similar.

This means it is actually feasible to convert a sub-dock into a Grid Stack of Regular type (as you are probably aware Grid Stacks can be of as many types as there are tab types for shelves). Likewise, it is possible to easily convert a Grid Stack of Regular type into a sub-dock.

Obviously, I would have to add the functionality to do this, but I actually like the idea. Mirkosoft will have to wait until the next release though. :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:19 pm 

Thank you - this feature is not yet available - but maybe.

I created few grid stacks and see that really it is perfect.

I have another Q: how to become beta tester? When I was searching the web, I found beta tester topics...

Miro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:36 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Sorry to have to correct you, Nexter, but although you are right in saying that sub-docks and Grid Stacks are entirely two different beasts, *Regular* type of Grid Stacks (as in shelf tabs of *Regular* type as opposed to 'Show Folder' type etc) are actually pretty similar.

This means it is actually feasible to convert a sub-dock into a Grid Stack of Regular type (as you are probably aware Grid Stacks can be of as many types as there are tab types for shelves). Likewise, it is possible to easily convert a Grid Stack of Regular type into a sub-dock.

Obviously, I would have to add the functionality to do this, but I actually like the idea. Mirkosoft will have to wait until the next release though. :D

I do appreciate that the underlying code would be largely identical for *regular* types Jorge, but thanks for the idea of making it possible. :) Right then, let's turn bananas into pineapples next. ;) (Might take a bit longer than 'The thing that must not be named' though! :P )

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:44 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

mirkosoft wrote:
I have another Q: how to become beta tester? When I was searching the web, I found beta tester topics...

Miro

The Beta forum is dormant and has been for a few years now - betas - when there is one - are now dealt with in this forum and anybody can chip in, so feel free. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]