Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 77 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: System Tray no longer showing after Windows 11 Update
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:15 am 

Nexus Ultimate v 22.7.1159
Windows 11 v 22H2
Recent updates which could be related:
Update Stack Package - (Version 1023.201.1012.0)
2023-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5022913)
2023-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5022845)

Problem: System Tray has disappeared from docks, tried adding it to other docks and it still does not show.

Post subject: Re: System Tray no longer showing after Windows 11 Update
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:07 pm 

Just installed the KB5022913 update and I can confirm that system tray is not popping up when clicking the arrow. Also reinstalled Nexus, but did not help. Please fix asap.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:38 pm 

I had already posted about this issue in December 2022 here, and the news here is that Microsoft changed some code for their systray which breaks this functionality in Nexus. It came to me earlier because I use a beta version of Windows through their Insider Preview programme.

As far as I have understood, it is unclear whether it will ever work again in Nexus.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:25 pm 

froschfinger wrote:
I had already posted about this issue in December 2022 here, and the news here is that Microsoft changed some code for their systray which breaks this functionality in Nexus. It came to me earlier because I use a beta version of Windows through their Insider Preview programme.

As far as I have understood, it is unclear whether it will ever work again in Nexus.

I see, kind of a bummer, but can we get an update from the Admin? Maybe a solution has been found in the meantime?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:55 pm 

xenocyde3000 wrote:
I see, kind of a bummer, but can we get an update from the Admin? Maybe a solution has been found in the meantime?

I do hope so as well. I'm really missing Nexus, I stopped using it, because I hid my taskbar with it, and couldn't access the system tray anymore. My interim solution works, but it's far from good by way of an app launcher/Nexus alternative.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:45 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

froschfinger wrote:
xenocyde3000 wrote:

I do hope so as well. I'm really missing Nexus, I stopped using it, because I hid my taskbar with it, and couldn't access the system tray anymore. My interim solution works, but it's far from good by way of an app launcher/Nexus alternative.

I'm confident that Jorge is busy continuing to work on the new update, including the known Windows 11 issues, which can't be easy at all if indeed possible at all - MS are really f*cking around with much inside Windows. And as Jorge himself would point out, often something gets messed up in an insider beta that in the release may have been changed again and messed something else up. Personally, I can see a point coming where a whole lot of Winstep will be left broken by Win 11 with no real way of fixing that, alas. (Good thing I'm sticking with Win 10 and will never touch 11 with a very long barge pole! :D )

Anyway, I'm sure Jorge is sweating blood, sweat, and tears trying to get on top of things which is likely the reason why he's not popping by here very often at the moment. We'll hear from him when he's good and ready, no doubt. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:20 pm 

Hey nexter,

good to hear back from you. I totally understand that Jorge wouldn't jump the moment I had an issue with an Insider Preview. Since I'm on a Beta, not Dev build, this one though was likely to be transferred to the next big update and not removed again like some features in the Dev channel.

I do hope Jorge finds a way. I know he's prone to disappearing for long to very long periods of time, but here's to hoping he will find a way to access the tray again. I'm very thankful for all his work so far, over all those years.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:20 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

froschfinger wrote:
Hey nexter,

good to hear back from you. I totally understand that Jorge wouldn't jump the moment I had an issue with an Insider Preview. Since I'm on a Beta, not Dev build, this one though was likely to be transferred to the next big update and not removed again like some features in the Dev channel.

I do hope Jorge finds a way. I know he's prone to disappearing for long to very long periods of time, but here's to hoping he will find a way to access the tray again. I'm very thankful for all his work so far, over all those years.

Oh I don't think we need to worry that Jorge might be disappearing again just yet. :) He is keeping an eye on things in here and e.g. was logged in just Thursday evening but only checks if anything needs an urgent response.

The particular problem under review here is, unfortunately, a highly complex one as MS have been seriously messing with the inner workings of the system tray in Win 11. :/ Very bad plan, especially in relation to third party apps and their developers. It's the stuff of nightmares really, and I'm sure it's giving Jorge premature grey hair and causing him to pull his hair out! ;)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:20 am 

nexter wrote:
Oh I don't think we need to worry that Jorge might be disappearing again just yet. :) He is keeping an eye on things in here and e.g. was logged in just Thursday evening but only checks if anything needs an urgent response.

The particular problem under review here is, unfortunately, a highly complex one as MS have been seriously messing with the inner workings of the system tray in Win 11. :/ Very bad plan, especially in relation to third party apps and their developers. It's the stuff of nightmares really, and I'm sure it's giving Jorge premature grey hair and causing him to pull his hair out! ;)

Ah, that's good news, and thanks to your detective skills, we can safely assume he is on top of things, or at least aware of the struggles more and more people will be in throughout the next days and weeks. Thanks for your encouragement, and we shall believe in our saviour that is Jorge.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:53 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

froschfinger wrote:
nexter wrote:

Ah, that's good news, and thanks to your detective skills, we can safely assume he is on top of things, or at least aware of the struggles more and more people will be in throughout the next days and weeks. Thanks for your encouragement, and we shall believe in our saviour that is Jorge.

LOL! Saviour, eh!? Smacks a bit too much of a religious theme so I'm not sure I shouldn't take some sort of disciplinary measures against us here.... ;) :P

Well, if anyone can overcome the problem, Jorge can. :) But, let's bear in mind that Windows 11 really is the stuff of nightmares for developers. Not to mention for users as well. Best thing anybody could do would be sticking with or going back to Win 10 - I wouldn't trust anything with an active TPM any further than I could spit it out, for starters. :( If it wasn't for less than a handful of apps and high end scanner drivers and software and of course Winstep I'd have ditched Windblows long ago now, and I can see the time coming fairly soon when I won't need it at all any more. Although, as long as Winstep continues I'll stick with it of course, probably in a VM under Linux. :) Having been with it since its inception I could never abandon it and Jorge altogether.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:31 pm 

I’m sure Jorge is fine with a slightly ironic reference to religion, eh ;) ?

As for Windows 11, I#ve heard you say it here before, but cannot really fathom the spectrum of difficulties for developers. I was a very early tester of Windows 11, and as a user, had close to zero problems, excluding mods not working anymore, or Nexus missing a system tray. I was even astonished throughout the time that Jorge didn't update Nexus for a long time that Nexus still worked fine with all the underlying changes in the code. As a basis for working (and playing games) with it, I haven't had much trouble with Windows in recent years, to be honest, including Windows 10 and 11. With almost all of my apps for both of my kinds of work not being available for Linux, or only with serious headaches through Vine, I'm kind of stuck with Windows.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:39 am 

Just updated Windows 11 to 22H2 22621.1344 version and can confirm NextStart it's no longer usable... I've also checked the Beta Software Discussion thread but it does not let me in, can I ask why?
Thanks.

Baio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:52 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Baio73 wrote:
Just updated Windows 11 to 22H2 22621.1344 version and can confirm NextStart it's no longer usable... I've also checked the Beta Software Discussion thread but it does not let me in, can I ask why?
Thanks.

Please clarify what you mean by 'Nextstart' is no longer usable' - surely you mean the system tray specifically? That issue has already been covered here - complain to MS, it's their fault for messing with the code.

The Beta Forum has not been in use for several years now and betas are dealt with in this forum instead, as you would have discovered if you'd performed a simple search here since the issue has been dealt with in the past.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:01 am 

Guys! Good news! I found a solution for the systray problem!

Go to https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher , scroll down to the How to? section and install the setup program. It's an exe that forces Windows 10 explorer in Windows 11. You can right click on the taskbar and then click properties to customize more stuff, but I only enabled Win 10 taskbar to solve the systray problem.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:02 am 

xenocyde3000 wrote:
Guys! Good news! I found a solution for the systray problem!

Go to https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher , scroll down to the How to? section and install the setup program. It's an exe that forces Windows 10 explorer in Windows 11. You can right click on the taskbar and then click properties to customize more stuff, but I only enabled Win 10 taskbar to solve the systray problem.

I'm a big fan of mods for my system; a lot of them make my workflow more streamlined, or at least more enjoyable. There is a lot of fun to be had.

As with ExplorerPatcher, it might or might not work. Just a word of warning: You're patching system files here. I've just read of people getting into trouble with ExplorerPatcher and the latest big Windows 11 update, being greeted by an empty blue screen after updating, due to ExplorerPatcher. From what I heard, it's been fixed already. But unlike Nexus, ExplorerPatcher is directly touching your system files and modifies them, so be aware there is a risk things end up broken.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 77 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next