Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 77 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: System Tray no longer showing after Windows 11 Update
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:22 am 

froschfinger wrote:
xenocyde3000 wrote:
Guys! Good news! I found a solution for the systray problem!

Go to https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher , scroll down to the How to? section and install the setup program. It's an exe that forces Windows 10 explorer in Windows 11. You can right click on the taskbar and then click properties to customize more stuff, but I only enabled Win 10 taskbar to solve the systray problem.

I'm a big fan of mods for my system; a lot of them make my workflow more streamlined, or at least more enjoyable. There is a lot of fun to be had.

As with ExplorerPatcher, it might or might not work. Just a word of warning: You're patching system files here. I've just read of people getting into trouble with ExplorerPatcher and the latest big Windows 11 update, being greeted by an empty blue screen after updating, due to ExplorerPatcher. From what I heard, it's been fixed already. But unlike Nexus, ExplorerPatcher is directly touching your system files and modifies them, so be aware there is a risk things end up broken.

I know things could end up broken, but at least the dev provides a fix in just a few days tops from what I am reading.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:30 am 

xenocyde3000 wrote:
I know things could end up broken, but at least the dev provides a fix in just a few days tops from what I am reading.

And that is adorable, just wanted to point out to fellow Winstep users that using those tools that modify system files carries an inherent risk of f*cking up your system. As I've just read about the current Windows update and ExplorerPatcher, but also experienced myself with other system-modding tools in the past. Everyone is free to decide whether to use them or not.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:16 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

froschfinger wrote:
xenocyde3000 wrote:

And that is adorable, just wanted to point out to fellow Winstep users that using those tools that modify system files carries an inherent risk of f*cking up your system. As I've just read about the current Windows update and ExplorerPatcher, but also experienced myself with other system-modding tools in the past. Everyone is free to decide whether to use them or not.

Basically, it's wise and good practice to steer well clear of any tools/utils that modify system files. A point could always come where the developer may well be unable to provide a fix when things do go disastrously wrong. Use these things at your own peril!

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:31 pm 

nexter wrote:
Please clarify what you mean by 'Nextstart' is no longer usable' - surely you mean the system tray specifically? That issue has already been covered here - complain to MS, it's their fault for messing with the code.

Yes, I was referring to the subject of this topic, NextStart is no longer usable as the System Tray no longer shows icons.
Do you mean as far as today we can't do anything else that complaining with Microsoft?

Quote:
The Beta Forum has not been in use for several years now and betas are dealt with in this forum instead, as you would have discovered if you'd performed a simple search here since the issue has been dealt with in the past.

I've been trying to enter the Beta section hoping to find a new beta version that solved the problem above...

Baio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:32 pm 

xenocyde3000 wrote:

Go to https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher , scroll down to the How to? section and install the setup program. It's an exe that forces Windows 10 explorer in Windows 11. You can right click on the taskbar and then click properties to customize more stuff, but I only enabled Win 10 taskbar to solve the systray problem.

Do you mean it solves the SysTray issus only in Windows 10 installations?
I have Windows 11 and tried tyo download the tool, but the SystemTray keeps not showing when NextStart is active...
Am I missing something?

Baio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:40 pm 

Baio73 wrote:
xenocyde3000 wrote:

Do you mean it solves the SysTray issus only in Windows 10 installations?
I have Windows 11 and tried tyo download the tool, but the SystemTray keeps not showing when NextStart is active...
Am I missing something?

Baio

I haven't tested with NextStart, just with Nexus. It works for me with the latest Win 11 update that messed the systray.

nexter wrote:
froschfinger wrote:
xenocyde3000 wrote:

Basically, it's wise and good practice to steer well clear of any tools/utils that modify system files. A point could always come where the developer may well be unable to provide a fix when things do go disastrously wrong. Use these things at your own peril!

It's the only solution for now, so I'm ok taking this risk. Hopefully, the Winstep suite will soon fix this issue too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:32 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Baio73 wrote:
nexter wrote:
Please clarify what you mean by 'Nextstart' is no longer usable' - surely you mean the system tray specifically? That issue has already been covered here - complain to MS, it's their fault for messing with the code.

Yes, I was referring to the subject of this topic, NextStart is no longer usable as the System Tray no longer shows icons.
Do you mean as far as today we can't do anything else that complaining with Microsoft?

Quote:
The Beta Forum has not been in use for several years now and betas are dealt with in this forum instead, as you would have discovered if you'd performed a simple search here since the issue has been dealt with in the past.

I've been trying to enter the Beta section hoping to find a new beta version that solved the problem above...

Baio

Ohh FFS, you can find the answers to all the above by doing a few searches here so don't be so damn lazy!

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:40 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

xenocyde3000 wrote:
nexter wrote:

It's the only solution for now, so I'm ok taking this risk. Hopefully, the Winstep suite will soon fix this issue too.

Well, as long as you're happy to take the risk - it's your funeral. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:52 pm 

nexter wrote:
Ohh FFS, you can find the answers to all the above by doing a few searches here so don't be so damn lazy!

Didn't want to appear as a lazy user, I simply I missed one point... after ExplorerPatcher is installed, you need to set the Windows 10 style for the Taskbar.

So far so good, hope Winstep is going to release an official fix soon!

Baio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:50 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

As has been pointed out before, the system tray problem under Windows 11 is a far from easy or simple one, indeed, is is an extremely complex one due to MS having extensively messed around with and changed the code of the system tray. There isn't going to be a 'quick fix' for this or some magic workaround, it is going to take time - if it can be fixed at all - and a hell of a lot of work. So I would ask everybody to just be patient for now until there is further news.

Thank you.
nexter - Global Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:16 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Please note that a number of posts where we substantially veered off topic have been moved to the 'Off Topic' forum HERE.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:48 am 

Howdy people.

It's a bummer that some have stopped using this great dock (I have Ultimate)

As a work around until the problem gets solved I used the following:

Insert a new dock item
Internal Command
Desktop
Show Taskbar

You can also setup Hide the Taskbar to toggle it off. (The icons are a bit bland but at least we can change that)

Then at you can access the Systray (show hidden icons) without having to leave the Dock completely.

I know it's a bit klunky but at least those who stopped using Winstep can start using it again until a fix is had.

Looking forward to a fix!

Cheers!
Fink.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:48 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Fink wrote:
Howdy people.

It's a bummer that some have stopped using this great dock (I have Ultimate)

As a work around until the problem gets solved I used the following:

Insert a new dock item
Internal Command
Desktop
Show Taskbar

You can also setup Hide the Taskbar to toggle it off. (The icons are a bit bland but at least we can change that)

Then at you can access the Systray (show hidden icons) without having to leave the Dock completely.

I know it's a bit klunky but at least those who stopped using Winstep can start using it again until a fix is had.

Looking forward to a fix!

Cheers!
Fink.

Err, who said anybody's 'leaving Winstep' or not using it!? The way you expressed this could be deemed disinformation, or at the very least misinformation. This has put you very close to receiving an official warning, so please desist.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:54 pm 

nexter wrote:
Err, who said anybody's 'leaving Winstep' or not using it!? The way you expressed this could be deemed disinformation, or at the very least misinformation.
This has put you very close to receiving an official warning, so please desist.

Cough, cough, indeed I was the one explaining that I stopped using Nexus, with all the regret possible, because I've been missing systray functionality (and need it) since December, given I'm one of the Beta Insiders. I'm sure Fink was referring to me, and is thus correct with his utterances. And look closely: Fink, all the beauty of his nickname aside, is full of praise for Nexus.

Edit: 'Leaving the dock' is supposedly meaning 'exit the application to access the systray'.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:12 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

froschfinger wrote:
nexter wrote:
Err, who said anybody's 'leaving Winstep' or not using it!? The way you expressed this could be deemed disinformation, or at the very least misinformation.
This has put you very close to receiving an official warning, so please desist.

Cough, cough, indeed I was the one explaining that I stopped using Nexus, with all the regret possible, because I've been missing systray functionality (and need it) since December, given I'm one of the Beta Insiders. I'm sure Fink was referring to me, and is thus correct with his utterances. And look closely: Fink, all the beauty of his nickname aside, is full of praise for Nexus.

Yes, you did indeed state the you'd stopped using Nexus for now. However, you did not say that you were going to leave the app altogether, and additionally you were - IIRC - the only one stating this. Which is altogether a very different matter from saying 'some have stopped using this great dock' and 'those who stopped using Winstep'.

However, I grant that I was perhaps a tad harsh. And so, apologies to Fink. :)

N.B. - what about the name 'Fink'? I do have an extremely extensive vocabulary, but it doesn't seem to include that term and I haven't the time at the moment to consult my (physical) OED desktop edition at the moment - and somehow I doubt it would illuminate me further....

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 77 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next