Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 30 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Latest Windows 11 update broke NEXUS System Tray
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:45 pm 

Help! Everything was working great until March 14. I did a windows 11 64 bit update and now nothing is showing when I click the small blue arrow at the far right end of the icon dock. It used to show all of the system tray icons. Now they have vanished! This is very bad because I rely on the blue arrow as the sole way to get at some of these. Can anyone help? Does anyone from WINSTEP read this forum or is this an out of date application that no longer gets updates?

Any help appreciated as I love my NEXUS app . . .

Post subject: Re: Latest Windows 11 update broke NEXUS System Tray
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:40 pm 

Hi, The same for me. :cry:
Pls help
Thank's

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:39 pm 

ditto for me too
Would really appreciate an update on where you guys are with this.
I have to check the box to show Windows Taskbar now and would really prefer to not have to do that

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:51 pm 

Same problem for me. Applied latest Windows 11 update and Windows System Tray is NOT working properly.

Winstep, have you reproduced the problem and is there a fix in the works?

Please advise.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:56 pm 

sllatesky wrote:
ditto for me too
Would really appreciate an update on where you guys are with this.
I have to check the box to show Windows Taskbar now and would really prefer to not have to do that

Hello. Which "check the box" to show Windows Taskbar. I'd like to find that temporary workaround until Winstep fixes the problem. I'm not using the products I paid for.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:19 pm 

I'm attaching a screen shot of what I unchecked . . .

it's under Tasks and says "Hide Windows taskbar"

again very irritating , , ,
Attachment:
Screenshot 2023-03-15 131604.jpg
Screenshot 2023-03-15 131604.jpg [ 160.64 KiB | Viewed 7350 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:24 pm 

Hi all,

just a quick heads up for everyone.

I had reported this issue, which presented itself early in the Windows Insider Previews, already in December. Aside from my thread from December, you could have easily spotted a new thread that deals with the same problem already just a few threads below this one, where you find the info on the current state of affairs on the very first page. tldr; no fix yet, but a temporary external solution.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:54 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Thanks for clearing that up for what must be some newbies, Froschfinger. :) Apparently can't read or search the forum, let alone Board Rules and Guidelines. Argh!

Just to add for the 'flood' of those posts - Winstep apps continue in development and have been in continuous development for more than 22 years! However, a 'fix' for the system tray problem is a very complex issue and may well take a while. More on all this in the thread posted by FF above.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:00 pm 

nexter wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up for what must be some newbies, Froschfinger. :) Apparently can't read or search the forum, let alone Board Rules and Guidelines. Argh!

Just to add for the 'flood' of those posts - Winstep apps continue in development and have been in continuous development for more than 22 years! However, a 'fix' for the system tray problem is a very complex issue and may well take a while. More on all this in the thread posted by FF above.

Alas, I have fallen silent for a bit, due to too much work on this tiny desk of mine, but just didn't want to leave this one uncommented :) . And it's a very common problem on forums and communities that people are more akin to writing than reading. You could have answered a question in a comment above, but some cannot help themselves but ask the same question over and over again :) . Have a lovely Wednesday, nexter, my very-kind-but-sometimes-grumpy online friend ;) .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:21 pm 

autobahn wrote:
I'm attaching a screen shot of what I unchecked . . .

it's under Tasks and says "Hide Windows taskbar"

again very irritating , , ,
Attachment:
Screenshot 2023-03-15 131604.jpg

Thank you for the tip!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:49 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

froschfinger wrote:
Alas, I have fallen silent for a bit, due to too much work on this tiny desk of mine, but just didn't want to leave this one uncommented :) . And it's a very common problem on forums and communities that people are more akin to writing than reading. You could have answered a question in a comment above, but some cannot help themselves but ask the same question over and over again :) . Have a lovely Wednesday, nexter, my very-kind-but-sometimes-grumpy online friend ;) .

Well, we all fall silent when things get too busy etc. :) But happy to see you here again, and that also saved me a bit of time and effort to explain all that and get - grumpy? Why get grumpy when I can get real grouchy? :P (I have been known in the past to rip occasional new sphincters. ;) I try to avoid that nowadays. :twisted:

Yes, alas, a hell of a lot of people can't even be arsed to get to know and to explore an unfamiliar forum a little, even to look at a few posts down the page. Hell, and why bother to check if what I'm looking for has already been dealt with in the forum - so much damn easier to just post something and hope some poor 'shmuck' will spend his time explaining it to me! :P And indeed, then some other shmuck/s add more noise to the signal-to-noise ratio, stating 'me too' or asking the same thing. :evil: Like you, I've encountered this on quite a lot of boards and communities in the past and even now. Most of the public ones that I visit now are Linux related ones, and some are quite lenient as alas we've been here (and so end up with a very poor signal-to-noise ratio), but some can be very strict and really keep order with a sort of 'carrot and stick' approach - personally, I'd favour a 'stick and whip' one. :twisted:

Anyway, have a great rest of the week, kind and eloquent Frogfinger - I looked it up in a dictionary! ;) - online friend, and hope to bump into you again. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post subject: Re: Latest Windows 11.....Gone Off Topic
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:18 pm 

I’m the newbie that accidentally started this thread because my NEXUS taskbar arrow stopped working. I was new to the forum and was concerned this was an out of date application at end of life and wouldn’t be updated. It however seems like this problem was correctly identified many months ago and either won’t be corrected or can’t be corrected.

In any case it seems like my inadvertent thread has been hijacked by a couple of people wanting to start a bromance. As someone said “please get a room” and focus on fixing the task bar problem!

Thank you in advance,

Steve

Post subject: Re: Latest Windows 11.....Gone Off Topic
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:16 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

autobahn wrote:
I’m the newbie that accidentally started this thread because my NEXUS taskbar arrow stopped working. I was new to the forum and was concerned this was an out of date application at end of life and wouldn’t be updated. It however seems like this problem was correctly identified many months ago and either won’t be corrected or can’t be corrected.

In any case it seems like my inadvertent thread has been hijacked by a couple of people wanting to start a bromance. As someone said “please get a room” and focus on fixing the task bar problem!

Thank you in advance,

Steve

Your post is somewhat abusive, and an official warning is issued, also as you posted in the wrong thread. Nonetheless, in this case I am not deleting it - as is usual practice - as it bears answering.

As you would have noticed if you'd used the space between your ears, the thread you posted to is in the 'Off Topic' forum and was split off from the original thread in 'General Discussion' precisely because the posts had gone off topic.

An accidental post is not how I would describe your original post in 'General Discussion'. As a newbie to a board, before posting anything to any forum you should, in the first place, get to know the forum you're interested in, and then check for Board Rules and study these carefully. Then, when you actually have also checked - by doing a search/searches if necessary - whether the topic you want to post about has already been covered recently, and only then may you post to an existing recent thread if you have something meaningful to add, or start a new one if there isn't any recent existing topic that matches what you have to say. It's a crying shame that I have to waste my precious time explaining all this to you when you could easily have learned this for yourself even in the 'General Discussion' forum.

Furthermore, it is not your place to complain about a few off topic posts that had already been moved elsewhere! And especially not in an aggressive and somewhat abusive manner! Banter, whether on or off topic, is positively encouraged on this board. And anybody is perfectly free to join the conversation if they have anything to contribute.

Finally, you are talking about two people here having an intelligent conversation. Well, in future check first who you are talking about. FYI, one is an ordinary - and incidentally long term - Winstep user, the other one being myself, a *volunteer* moderator. Neither of us are in any way, shape, or form connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies. Therefore, neither of us is involved in the development of Winstep apps. As regards the system tray problem under Windblows 11, Windblows being Windblows and Microsoft being Microsoft it is usually impossible to 'fix' any problems caused by a change in Windows code while it is in beta - as Microsoft are still liable to completely change what was causing the problem, and even after release, Windows must always be considered to really still be a beta for at least a couple of years plus! - but in this case, the problem has been and is worked upon by sole developer and sole proprietor of Winstep. More on this you could already have found in 'your' thread and elsewhere. So by now you should be able to see how dangerous it is to assume anything, for as you deem to assume - guess what! - you make an..... (I'm sure I need not complete that, right?) :evil:

Kindly get a life and get a bit more smart and acquire some manners, yes?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:19 am 

It's less the point that you want the 'bug' in Nexus to be solved, Steve, which nexter explained to be something that Microsoft introduced very recently, but the way you are talking here and - how I see it - demanding the software to be fixed. Which neither my new online romance nexter nor I can do, devoid of the abilities needed and of affiliation with the actual developer and his company. Nexter might come around a bit harsher, but your posts don't really reek of politeness as well.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:15 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

froschfinger wrote:
It's less the point that you want the 'bug' in Nexus to be solved, Steve, which nexter explained to be something that Microsoft introduced very recently, but the way you are talking here and - how I see it - demanding the software to be fixed. Which neither my new online romance nexter nor I can do, devoid of the abilities needed and of affiliation with the actual developer and his company. Nexter might come around a bit harsher, but your posts don't really reek of politeness as well.

Well, err.... - make that 'bromance', perhaps, FF? ;)

No, his post reeks of bovine manure and abuse, and actually constitutes arguing with staff in open forum, all contravening the Board Rules and Guidelines. He's going way too far, but I've been a little lenient and only issued a 2nd and final warning and the offending post will be deleted. Another transgression and he'll be gone.

I'm having to get a bit hard as otherwise we'd be drowning in BS and the like. If that comes across as a bit harsh/er, well, like I pointed out previously, I do not suffer fools, gladly or otherwise. And I'm not 'customer service' and not inclined to mollycoddle people who don't behave themselves in whatever way. I don't believe in wrapping everything in cotton wool and brown-nosing. So let them that misbehave be afraid, very afraid. :evil:

It's a nasty job, but somebody's got to do it. ;) Nor is it an easy life, being a volunteer moderator. Keeping some semblance of order can be a lot of work, and here it sometimes is, alas.

Anyway, have a fab weekend digital friend Froschfinger. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 30 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next