Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Missing license for Winstep Xtreme
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:09 am 

Hi,

I have a Winstep Xtreme license, but I only have the original install file and no license info that I can find to register it on a new PC. Is it possible to receive a new key that allows updates that would have been applied during the permitted period please? I emailed support but didn't get a response. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Missing license for Winstep Xtreme
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:09 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

axg20202 wrote:
Hi,

I have a Winstep Xtreme license, but I only have the original install file and no license info that I can find to register it on a new PC. Is it possible to receive a new key that allows updates that would have been applied during the permitted period please? I emailed support but didn't get a response. Thanks.

In the first place, you should have studied the Board Rules and Guidelines and this forum for information, which latter would have informed you that users are requested to refrain from using the email support for the time being due to an existing backlog and the developer needing every bit of time to work on fixing problems with Windows 11, not even of Winstep's making but the fault of Microsoft.

That said, if your version of Xtreme is older than the current one (V 22.7), then it is extremely unlikely that your license key could be retrieved. Users are told, time and again, to back up their Winstep files, settings, and original last license files and relevant email. If you do not, then any problems arising from your loss of license are basically yours.

However, as and when Jorge Coelho (user name Winstep), the sole proprietor and programmer of Winstep, is able to read of your problem, he may well try and help if that is possible. In the meantime, I'll just have to ask you to be very patient and hope for the best. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:55 am 

I don't see anything about email support in the Rules and Guidelines. The product website specifically says to email support and then come here if there is no response, so I did exactly that.

Telling me that I should have stored my details is not even slightly helpful unless a time machine is available for loan from the forum. Besides, I lost all my data in a catastrophic faulure, but you didn't know that, you just assumed I was negligent. I did have backups, but like most people, I don't have backups of backups.

If this is your approach to welcoming a new forum member, it needs work.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:46 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

axg20202 wrote:
I don't see anything about email support in the Rules and Guidelines. The product website specifically says to email support and then come here if there is no response, so I did exactly that.

Telling me that I should have stored my details is not even slightly helpful unless a time machine is available for loan from the forum. Besides, I lost all my data in a catastrophic faulure, but you didn't know that, you just assumed I was negligent. I did have backups, but like most people, I don't have backups of backups.

If this is your approach to welcoming a new forum member, it needs work.

You are trying to turn this into an argument with a moderator - read the Board Rules and Guidelines about this again! Note that I will not argue with you, full stop. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt this one time only and letting you off lightly.

There is information about email support on the first page of the 'General Discussion' forum, if you had taken the trouble to look.

You should never store backups on your system or main drive but on an external drive, and it is also a wise practice to backup backups to a third, also external drive. So, as I stated already previously, if you don't have your backups then there's little to be done, and it's your responsibility alone, negligent or otherwise. And BTW, I never 'assume' anything. Also, if you have your original install file, why on earth wouldn't you keep your license details with it!?

As for new members, I expect them to have familiarised themselves a bit with the forum they want to post to and to follow the Board Rules and Guidelines to the letter. Furthermore, you are not exactly a new member, having joined the board more than two years ago!

As a moderator, I have to keep order in the forums, which is not always an easy task and I have to be fairly strict or everything would go straight to hell.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:38 pm 

:moderator's note - abusive text redacted, warning issued - nexter :/note:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:28 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

axg20202 wrote:

You really are chancing it - next transgression will result in permanent ban. Count yourself very lucky it hasn't happened yet!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:14 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
axg20202 wrote:

You really are chancing it - next transgression will result in permanent ban. Count yourself very lucky it hasn't happened yet!

Note - User chose to continue arguing in abusive tone by PM. 3 month ban issued this time only - next will be permanent.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]