Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Nexus Dock on wrong monitor.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:58 pm 

I formatted and reinstalled Win10 yesterday, and am reinstalling my favorite programs. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling multiple times now, but I can't get the Nexus dock to go where I want it to go. It worked FINE with my previous Win10 install.

I have a 3-monitor setup. My primary (#1) monitor is recognized by Nexus dock as "#2". I can put Nexus on my #3 monitor by telling it to display on either #1 or #3 monitor - both work, but if I select #3, the monitor dropdown box goes back to displaying the #1 monitor, like I can't actually select #3. There is no way to get Nexus to display on my #2 monitor, the one I WANT it on.

I made a picture, as I thought it might be confusing. The red numbers are what Nexus thinks my monitors are.

Anyone know what could be going wrong? If I can't get this ironed out, I gotta go back to Rocketdock :(

Post subject: Re: Nexus Dock on wrong monitor.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:58 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Docjon wrote:
I formatted and reinstalled Win10 yesterday, and am reinstalling my favorite programs. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling multiple times now, but I can't get the Nexus dock to go where I want it to go. It worked FINE with my previous Win10 install.

I have a 3-monitor setup. My primary (#1) monitor is recognized by Nexus dock as "#2". I can put Nexus on my #3 monitor by telling it to display on either #1 or #3 monitor - both work, but if I select #3, the monitor dropdown box goes back to displaying the #1 monitor, like I can't actually select #3. There is no way to get Nexus to display on my #2 monitor, the one I WANT it on.

I made a picture, as I thought it might be confusing. The red numbers are what Nexus thinks my monitors are.

Anyone know what could be going wrong? If I can't get this ironed out, I gotta go back to Rocketdock :(

I'm fairly sure this has been encountered and discussed before - please do a search in the forum for e.g. "multi-monitor problem" (without the quotation marks) or something similar.
Maybe another user might chip in to help, but I'm afraid I have no idea how to fix this and the developer seems to be totally tied up at the moment with trying to fix problems arising from changes in Windows 11 code, alas, so I'm not sure he'll be popping in to help quickly.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:43 pm 

Thanks for replying. . .

It occurs to me that last time, I was using my purchased copy of Winstep Xtreme, and it worked - I just eventually stopped using everything but the dock. This time, I just DL'ed and installed the latest version of the Nexus dock, since I wasn't using the other stuff recently. Maybe that's an important difference.

I had no luck with searching for "multi monitor problems" or "wrong Monitor" (without quotes). I found various issues, but nothing that directly applied to my issue, nor did I find any particular success with anyone ELSE'S issue. It seems there are just problems with multiple monitors, and I didn't see anyone posting that had success in fixing them.

For anyone else reading this who has the same problem, I tried uninstalling/reinstalling Nexus dock, but it didn't help. Also, I'm using three monitors with the same resolution (1920 x 1080). I didn't post that in my first post.

If I find a solution, I'll post back here to help others with the same problem. If I don't, assume I never solved it and moved on.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:17 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Docjon wrote:
Thanks for replying. . .

It occurs to me that last time, I was using my purchased copy of Winstep Xtreme, and it worked - I just eventually stopped using everything but the dock. This time, I just DL'ed and installed the latest version of the Nexus dock, since I wasn't using the other stuff recently. Maybe that's an important difference.

I had no luck with searching for "multi monitor problems" or "wrong Monitor" (without quotes). I found various issues, but nothing that directly applied to my issue, nor did I find any particular success with anyone ELSE'S issue. It seems there are just problems with multiple monitors, and I didn't see anyone posting that had success in fixing them.

For anyone else reading this who has the same problem, I tried uninstalling/reinstalling Nexus dock, but it didn't help. Also, I'm using three monitors with the same resolution (1920 x 1080). I didn't post that in my first post.

If I find a solution, I'll post back here to help others with the same problem. If I don't, assume I never solved it and moved on.

Hmm, I take it that you're using the free version of Nexus now, in which case I'm not sure this version actually supports multi-monitor set-ups. If it does, another point that occurs is, are all your monitors using the same DPI settings? They have to be the same DPI for multi-monitor set-up to work, as Windows 'lies' about the positioning of monitors and app positions on them if they're not, as far as I'm aware.

Hope something works out for you. :) Otherwise, why not use your previous Winstep Xtreme again?

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:05 pm 

nexter wrote:
Hmm, I take it that you're using the free version of Nexus now, in which case I'm not sure this version actually supports multi-monitor set-ups. If it does, another point that occurs is, are all your monitors using the same DPI settings? They have to be the same DPI for multi-monitor set-up to work, as Windows 'lies' about the positioning of monitors and app positions on them if they're not, as far as I'm aware.

Hope something works out for you. :) Otherwise, why not use your previous Winstep Xtreme again?

Yeah, I neglected to put the monitor resolutions in my OP, which is annoying. It's easier to understand issues when you have as much info in one place as possible. I did post it in my post above yours though. . .they're all 1080p.

Last night, I tried the purchased version of Xtreme, and unfortunately it didn't work any better. I'm still rebuilding my windows install after the format, so I have a lot of other things to do. I might let this lie awhile and look into it again next week. I'll post back if I learn anything, to help others with the same issue.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:16 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Docjon wrote:
nexter wrote:

Yeah, I neglected to put the monitor resolutions in my OP, which is annoying. It's easier to understand issues when you have as much info in one place as possible. I did post it in my post above yours though. . .they're all 1080p.

Last night, I tried the purchased version of Xtreme, and unfortunately it didn't work any better. I'm still rebuilding my windows install after the format, so I have a lot of other things to do. I might let this lie awhile and look into it again next week. I'll post back if I learn anything, to help others with the same issue.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

No, I wasn't talking about the resolution as such but the actual DPI setting for each monitor, i.e. normal setting or high (125 DPI).

Anyway, it's probably best to sort out your Windows set up first and then have another go. Best of luck. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:22 pm 

I think I'm experiencing a similar problem. I have a 3 monitor setup. All are 1920 by 1080. All are the same monitors, Asus Gaming monitors. On Monitor 2 which is the center monitor I have a Shelf and there is no problem with that. On monitor 3 I have a dock and that behaves fine but on Monitor 1 the dock will not stay on Monitor 1. It always drifts over to either Monitor 2 or Monitor 1. I am constantly going into the setting to correct it but it just does what it wants and randomly leaves that monitor for one of the other ones. I'm using the paid version of Winstep Extreme...Version 22.7

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:51 pm 

Wish I had an answer, sounds kind of like the problem i am having except on an ultrawide monitor. one dock stays where it should, the other two like to move towards the center of the screen which is annoying! Hopefully someone finds a workaround or fix to this.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:30 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I really can't be arsed to have to ask supplementary questions about details that should have been provided by posters in the first place, don't have the time for all that. Besides, I'm pretty sure these issues have come up more than once before and have been answered already. There is a search facility!

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 9 posts ]