Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: One Last Time - Sys Tray/Windows 11 Issue!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:34 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

:Moderator's note - Total views of this topic should be -1,001 due to having accidentally 'inherited' those 1,000 views from a post copied to it - nexter:

OK, for the final time, let me make the position absolutely clear for everyone. I shall not further respond on this topic, I have better things to do in my valuable and scarce spare time.

To be perfectly clear, I am in no way any kind of customer service representative or any kind of representative of Winstep Software Technologies but merely a - very! - long term user of the software and an unpaid volunteer moderator of this board. As a moderator, my primary role is to keep some kind of order in the forums by, among other things, enforcing the Board Rules and Guidelines etc. HERE, and keeping out spam, nonsense, spurious, frivolous, and otherwise meaningless posts. Sanctions available to moderators include warnings, bans, and deletion of undesirable posts. Thanks to some posters,I have no choice but to enforce the rules fairly strictly and shall continue to do so - follow the rules etc. and all will be fine. Break them, and you're in trouble. Simple.

This means, among other things I shall not tolerate any of the following and come down on these like a ton of bricks where necessary :

Aggressive and/or abusive posts, factually inaccurate posts, posts arguing with staff, abusive and or aggressive PMs, any kind of adversarial posts or PMs, and 'me too' posts that do not add anything new and of substance, and posts that are less than polite even.

Now, as for the vexed Windows 11 System Tray issue, be informed one final time :

The system tray problem under Windows 11 is NOT a bug of any kind in Winstep Xtreme, Nexus Ultimate, and free Nexus. It is entirely due to Microsoft having completely and radically changed the source code and thereby the implementation of the system tray! It is entirely their fault.

While the problem was already reported with the advent of the then latest Insider Beta of Windows 11 last December, it was at that point not clear that Microsoft might not change the coding of the system tray further, as indeed is frequently their practice. Therefore it would hardly make sense to have worked on any potential update at that point and make it available, only to potentially create more problems with the eventual - recent - release.

The developer, Jorge Coelho (user "Winstep"), has already posted in this forum to state the state of affairs in this respect, including that he is seeking to get around this problem.

Jorge Coelho has further stated that finding some way to fix this issue may take time, and that indeed it may even prove impossible to find a way around it.

Do a search for posts relevant to the above two points.

Until such time as the developer says it is impossible to find a solution to this issue, it is to be assumed that Jorge Coelho is busy continuing to work on the issue. In order to stay completely focused on this, he would hardly be inclined to further comment here for now. Nor has anybody got any claim to make any demands concerning him posting.

Please be clear about this also. When you purchase the software, or make a renewal, what you get is this:
The current version of the software, yours to keep and use indefinitely.
As a bonus, you get any updates for free if, as, and when they become available during the validity of your license. Winstep Software Technologies however are under no obligation to provide any updates. All of the aforesaid has been made abundantly clear before on a number of occasions by Jorge Coelho himself.
Therefore, there is no case for anyone demanding any update/s, end of story. As for users of the free version of Nexus, they have no claims on anything whatsoever.

Furthermore, nobody and no-one has any claim to making any kind of demands whatsoever.

Jorge Coelho will post as and when he is good and ready to do so, not when any users might wish to dictate.

I hope this clears things up for everyone. End of story, AFAIC.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post subject: Re: One Last Time - Sys Tray/Windows 11 Issue!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:27 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I thought I had made it abundantly clear that I have, in the above post, provided all the information that users of this forum need know for now wrt the system tray problem in Windows 11, and that I will not entertain any further discussion/response wrt to this. Unfortunately, some users do not appear to have got the message yet.

Let me be perfectly clear about this. Posts that want to add something of relevance to the System Tray/Windows 11 problem and nothing else will be perfectly welcome here. However, any posts pursuing irrelevancies will be deleted and can result in a ban or at the least a warning.

Forums are not a democracy, and users of this forum and of Winstep software have absolutely no claim practically to demand explanations or updates from sole proprietor/coder of Winstep Software Technologies whatsoever. Such nonsense is unheard of! Nor is anyone entitled to any explanation/justification of my actions as moderator.

That is all that I am going say on this from here onwards, full stop, end of story.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:20 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

'Bump Topic' not available, so this is just a booster in lieu.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:34 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

A bit of news for everyone. Jorge Coelho, aka user "Winstep", sole coder and proprietor of Winstep Software Technologies, will be returning to the forums very shortly. As for support issues, these should for the time being be addressed solely in this forum, not by email or PM please.

Thank you.

nexter - Global Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:13 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
A bit of news for everyone. Jorge Coelho, aka user "Winstep", sole coder and proprietor of Winstep Software Technologies, will be returning to the forums very shortly. As for support issues, these should for the time being be addressed solely in this forum, not by email or PM please.

Thank you.

nexter - Global Moderator

What, no comments yet!? I'm amazed! And that after all the fuss not to say bitching and moaning about the 'poor customer support' and all that in the previous thread. Well, well, wonders never cease.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 4:42 pm 

Vive la révolution!

There, now someone has commented. I could try to bitch and moan as well, but I am afraid I am not too good at that. Willing to give it my all though if it helps nexter :)

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 7:55 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Solamain wrote:
Vive la révolution!

There, now someone has commented. I could try to bitch and moan as well, but I am afraid I am not too good at that. Willing to give it my all though if it helps nexter :)

LOL! Nah, much better not to have any bitching and moaning. ;) Not sure about revolution, though a rebellion it certainly is/has been. And that's exactly what Jorge seems to think. :)

Speaking of whom, I think he's having an extended bank holiday weekend to celebrate some happy news he's had. 8) All the same, I'd expect him to pop up in the forum any day now.

Anyway, good to see you around again Solamain. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 1:22 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
Solamain wrote:
Vive la révolution!

LOL! Nah, much better not to have any bitching and moaning. ;) Not sure about revolution, though a rebellion it certainly is/has been. And that's exactly what Jorge seems to think. :)

Speaking of whom, I think he's having an extended bank holiday weekend to celebrate some happy news he's had. 8) All the same, I'd expect him to pop up in the forum any day now.

Anyway, good to see you around again Solamain. :)

'Spoke' too soon! A twice banned abusive and argumentative moron just a while ago posted more abusive drivel with new user details! Spotted before he even posted, so checked it was the same guy etc., then banned again and del'd his vitriol. Some really never do learn anything! So it goes.

The peasants are revolting - in both senses! ;) :P

So it goes. :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:01 pm 

Apologies for coming in at the ass-end of this topic however I just purchased the Winstep Xtreme - Home Network Edition package and joined the forum about 1 day ago.....

.....From my experience, software development can be like a bottomless pit for spending money, time and energy like feeding a monster with an infinite appetite.

Prioritization of bug fixes based on the severity of any detrimental impacts on functions with regard to their criticality to the success of the product, as well as prioritizing improvements and feature enhancements based on fulfilling market needs are the keys to product success and thus financial success to the extent to establish sufficient financial independence necessary to have the disposable time to invest towards further software development activity without being distracted by the pressing need to pay the bills and put food on the table.

I am very impressed with your product being a decade long 7-instance rocketdock junkie running on 3 x 4k monitors who cut & run to your product for the draws and multiple docks in one neat package.

So far the whining about windows 11 and incompatibility issues caught my blood-shot eyes. I still run windows 10 and will do so until it reaches end-of-life thus no longer supported by microsoft and if they don't get rid of the spyware and bloat in Win11, I will probably end up with a custom image de-bloated build of a windows 11 with the look of windows 10 and the minimalist efficiency of Windows 2000.

Why people jump to the latest version assuming the latest must be the greatest is to fall for the fallacy of novelty which is near certain when it comes to any microsoft product.

Windows 11 has been out since october 2011 and they still haven't got the backwards compatibility sorted infers people should hold out at least 2 years before even considering upgrading their operating system; or hold out till their current version is reaching end of support like I am.

Better the devil you know than the one you don't. Nobody need to self inflict themselves to the role of guinea pigs when it comes to Microsoft.

As a techie I only put the effort into learning and using Win 11 home/pro for the sake of supporting those who migrated to it for that's my bread 'n butter but it is always a second partition multi-boot arrangement with Windows 10 Pro as the default boot option or on a test machine or a virtual machine I remote to via ip-kvm from my daily driver.

If it aint broke, don't fix it - especially if that means upgrading prematurely to the latest windows version that always comes with (nasty) 'surprises' with every windows update while it goes through its 2+ years of teething "continuous improvement" (euphemism).

So I have some reading to go through to see what bugs others have reported and what features they have requested/suggested so I don't waste any readers' time going through my exhaustive list of what may have already been said and it will take some time to thoroughly understand the naunces of what I find.

All that being said, I reiterate this is a great innovative piece of software with potential for brilliance with features I have been looking for, for at least two years which now makes me a happy chappy.

:Moderator's note - Part of this post redacted as belonging to the topic it was originally posted under and from which this is copied as relevant here /nexter:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:38 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I couldn't agree more @Gavin, it is absolutely moronic to jump to the latest version of Windows anywhere this side of at least a couple of years after initial release, while it is effectively still very much a beta. Win 10 still does everything it needs to really, and unless someone absolutely *needs* some app's update specifically for Win 11 there really is no good reason to move that way. Exactly as you say, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

It's a shame really, NT4 and Win 2K held the promise of Windows actually becoming a good (-ish) OS perhaps with some of its roots still in OS/2. XP then already had signs of that probably being a pipe dream.

Personally, I shall never touch Win 11, and I expect to move to using Win 10 offline only before it even reaches end of support. The ultimate obscenity is the TPM, which I'd pull/have pulled so I couldn't run 11 anyway. As it is, I rarely use 'Windblows' as I use Linux as my main OS, and when I do use it, it's only for a handful of apps that I still need there, having been a Linux user for quite some time now. And when I do run up Windows, I still have a couple of Linux VMs running there as well and carry on with everything else there while Win does what it needs to do. With any luck, I won't need Win for too many years now anyway as the apps I need there are slowly coming along in Linux. Sometimes I run Win to make use of my VPN's advanced total privacy and security there as the Linux version sadly is still playing catch-up, but then just use the Linux VMs (mainly for private/confidential messaging and the like using Wire).

I gather from your post that at least in a limited kind of way you're already also a Linux user. It seems that your remote server would be Linux based - ip-kvm being a bit of a give away there, meaning kernel (-based) virtual machine, a Linux VM utility. I use VMs in Linux as well but using Virtual Box. Kvm, at least on desktop Linux, tends to be pretty slow, though on server systems it probably flies.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:06 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
I couldn't agree more @Gavin, it is absolutely moronic to jump to the latest version of Windows anywhere this side of at least a couple of years after initial release, while it is effectively still very much a beta. Win 10 still does everything it needs to really, and unless someone absolutely *needs* some app's update specifically for Win 11 there really is no good reason to move that way. Exactly as you say, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

In any event, a new update of Winstep apps is scheduled for end of this month, it is hoped. So everyone can look forward to V23.7. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

In the mean time here is a (sort of) workaround for those running Winstep Xtreme: you can enable the 'Keep the Windows taskbar visible' option in the Taskbar tab of NextSTART Preferences and then set the Windows taskbar to auto-hide.

This way when you need to access the system tray you can bump the bottom screen edge to activate the Windows taskbar and thus access the system tray.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:06 pm 

If Anyone reads This, i have found a proper solution for the sys tray issue with nexus ultimate on windows 11

for anyone who is interested, just DM me and i can provide further details

Thank you

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:47 am 

GamerMan wrote:
If Anyone reads This, i have found a proper solution for the sys tray issue with nexus ultimate on windows 11

for anyone who is interested, just DM me and i can provide further details

Thank you

@Nexter, is this legit or another internet shit goblin (not even worth calling them a troll) seeking to gather peoples data or get them to install some dodgy software?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There's a 3rd party app called 'StartAllBack' IMO, but as far as I know that causes problems every time Microsoft issues a new Windows update.

Here I already have the expanded systray popping up when you click on the expand systray icon in the Winstep application (which is the most important part IMO), I am probably also going to add to the always visible systray a sort of 'system' icon that evokes the volume/etc panel and call it a day for the time being.

This of course does not solve the problem but it is at least a sort of work-around.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next