Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 15 posts ]
 Post subject: Fixing SysTray Problem on Win11 by AutoIt Programming
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:57 am 

Hi,

I recently started using NeXuS and am very satisfied with its abundant Dock customization options, except for the issue of the "Show system tray in this dock" function not working. I found on the forum that this is a problem that all Win11 users will encounter and there is currently no official solution.

However, I often use the sys tray when working, while having both the Nexus Dock and the Windows taskbar simultaneously can be quite cumbersome (and it doesn't look nice too).

So, I researched an alternative solution. For those who may not know: the sys tray can be opened by pressing the Win+B combination keys and then hitting Enter on the keyboard. I happened to know a scripting language, AutoIt, which can simulate keystrokes to the active window using the Send function. AutoIt can also compile the written script into an executable file (.exe), which means you can uninstall it whenever you don't need it.

And most importantly - It's very easy to code the desired functionality with it, as shown below:

Code:
OpenSysTray()

Exit

Func OpenSysTray()

; Simulate Win + B to select Sys Tray
    Send("#b")
    ; Simulate Enter to open it
    Send("{ENTER}")

EndFunc

You can install AutoIt, copy and paste the above code into the editor, and then compile it into an .exe file.

Add this file to your Dock item and customize a nice-looking icon - that's it! You can now open the sys tray through NeXuS again!

This is how it works on my PC:

However, I can foresee two potential issues:

1. I'm not sure if NeXuS' old users will be able to regain as much of their original experience as possible with this method. I have never experienced the original "Show system tray in this dock" function, so I don't know if this function is popping up the original Windows sys tray or reading the system tray information to generate its own 'NeXuS Tray'. This is particularly true for Ultimate users, as the "Customize system tray icon" function certainly still won't work.
  2. The Win+B combination keys might conflict with some software or environments you use - although I have tested it in some of my common scenarios without any problems.

Please feel free to try it out, and if you have any questions or comments about this workaround, please share them here.

Cheers,
Qiuzy

Last edited by Qiuzy on Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Fixing SysTray Problem on Win11 by AutoIt Programming
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:09 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Qiuzy wrote:
Hi,

I recently started using NeXuS and am very satisfied with its abundant Dock customization options, except for the issue of the "Show system tray in this dock" function not working. I found on the forum that this is a problem that all Win11 users will encounter and there is currently no official solution.

However, I often use the sys tray when working, while having both the Nexus Dock and the Windows taskbar simultaneously can be quite cumbersome (and it doesn't look nice too).

So, I researched an alternative solution. For those who may not know: the sys tray can be opened by pressing the Win+B combination keys and then hitting Enter on the keyboard. I happened to know a scripting language, AutoIt, which can simulate keystrokes to the active window using the Send function. AutoIt can also compile the written script into an executable file (.exe), which means you can uninstall it whenever you don't need it.

And most importantly - It's very easy to code the desired functionality with it, as shown below:

Code:
OpenSysTray()

Func OpenSysTray()

; Simulate Win + B to select Sys Tray
    Send("#b")
    ; Simulate Enter to open it
    Send("{ENTER}")

EndFunc

You can install AutoIt, copy and paste the above code into the editor, and then compile it into an .exe file.

Add this file to your Dock item and customize a nice-looking icon - that's it! You can now open the sys tray through NeXuS again!

This is how it works on my PC:

However, I can foresee two potential issues:

1. I'm not sure if NeXuS' old users will be able to regain as much of their original experience as possible with this method. I have never experienced the original "Show system tray in this dock" function, so I don't know if this function is popping up the original Windows sys tray or reading the system tray information to generate its own 'NeXuS Tray'. This is particularly true for Ultimate users, as the "Customize system tray icon" function certainly still won't work.
  2. The Win+B combination keys might conflict with some software or environments you use - although I have tested it in some of my common scenarios without any problems.

Please feel free to try it out, and if you have any questions or comments about this workaround, please share them here.

Cheers,
Qiuzy

That is an excellent suggestion for an interim workaround, and not only for Nexus users. For users of the Nextstart Taskbar, follow the above instructions but just put a link into the Quickstart area of the Taskbar and you're away.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:17 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

'Bump Topic' not available, so this is just a booster.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 11:46 pm 

This is absolutely fantastic. Thank you so much for sharing this. Works great.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 1:39 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

TelFiRE wrote:

Good to know somebody's happy for a change. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 3:27 am 

TelFiRE wrote:

The pleasure is mine. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:03 pm 

I knew something like this was going to be a problem when I finally switched to 11. The fact they removed so many functions of the taskbar like just being able to move it to another monitor. I use my sys tray quite a bit and not being able to see it just sucks ;) Thankfully NextStart still gives me to option to have a taskbar elsewhere without it being on every monitor and when I'm gaming I don't need to alt-tab to use the taskbar. Very nice work around here for getting to the sys tray nice and easy...perhaps you would like a job at M$? Could show them a thing or two LOL! Cheers ! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, so I got this working when you click on the Winstep systray expand button (the systray icons even popup next to the button now as before) which eliminates the need for a 3rd party scripting app.

However helpful this is, it does not solve the problem of the missing systray system icons (power, volume, net, etc) or display the icons the Systray tab in shelves, etc...

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:49 pm 

I can't find the Winstep systray expand button. If I add the system tray to the bottom icons I click the icon and nothing happens.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

gevansmd wrote:
I can't find the Winstep systray expand button. If I add the system tray to the bottom icons I click the icon and nothing happens.

1. Are you running the latest *BETA* (v23.7)?

2. Is the 'Always show all system tray icons' setting CLEARED?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:34 am 

winstep wrote:
gevansmd wrote:

1. Are you running the latest *BETA* (v23.7)?

2. Is the 'Always show all system tray icons' setting CLEARED?

How do I get the beta? I didn't know ethere was one to test.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:29 pm 

gevansmd wrote:

Open NextStart preferences, Select Advanced Tab, check the box "Notify me of beta (test) versions" and then click "check for updates"

Image I am a fan of WinstepImage

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:53 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Williamsson wrote:
gevansmd wrote:

Open NextStart preferences, Select Advanced Tab, check the box "Notify me of beta (test) versions" and then click "check for updates"

Eh eh, the guy can't be arsed to answer Jorge's supplementaries for two and a half months and then comes back with nothing but a query where to get the beta?! Bloomin' cheek. Didn't deserve any reply IMO. :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:58 pm 

I never received an email notification that my questions was answered.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:00 pm 

Williamsson wrote:
gevansmd wrote:

Thank you for the information. It didn't put the dock where I wanted it at first but I've fixed that issue.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 15 posts ]